Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Probably a factory installed rev limiter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe...but I have also noticed that all the speedos and techs are the same on all Indains models. Maybe Polaris is just being cheap?

·
Bronze member
3,947 Posts
Maybe...but I have also noticed that all the speedos and techs are the same on all Indains models. Maybe Polaris is just being cheap?
oh come on... Polaris being cheap???? That’s like saying the sun rises in the East and sets in the West..... Oh wait................Yea they invented cheap....LOL

·
Bronze member
1,464 Posts
While on this subject matter, I think the speedo is off as well....meaning it records a speed faster than you are really going. Does it just seem that way, perhaps because the bike is that smooth.....or what? When I'm cruising 80-85 on the speedo, cars are going by me like I"m standing still.....and I don't remember that many vehicles buzzing past me. However, now that stay at home restrictions are being lifted....maybe everyone is out on the roads blowing off some steam......and carbon!! Any confirmations on accuracy of the speedo?

·
Registered
481 Posts
While on this subject matter, I think the speedo is off as well....meaning it records a speed faster than you are really going. Does it just seem that way, perhaps because the bike is that smooth.....or what? When I'm cruising 80-85 on the speedo, cars are going by me like I"m standing still.....and I don't remember that many vehicles buzzing past me. However, now that stay at home restrictions are being lifted....maybe everyone is out on the roads blowing off some steam......and carbon!! Any confirmations on accuracy of the speedo?
Local PD’s around here leave little radar trailers set up where speed limits change coming into small towns and show your speed but don’t issue tickets. There as a reminder to slow down for a week or two then moved. I like to use them to check my speedometer when I see them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the speed is off about 2 to 3 mph on my Challenger. When I'm doing 75 mph my phone's GPS shows I'm going 72 to 73 mph.

·
Rider
617 Posts
Virtually every vehicle I have ever owned my entire life reads high on MPH. I think it is a CYA move on manufacturer's part to avoid lawsuits from people with speeding tickets who might otherwise claim its not their fault. Yes, verify with GPS unit to see the fudge.

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to GPS on my phone- the bike speedo is reading 2-3 mph faster than GPS

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,821 Posts
Speedometers being optimistic has been a long time issue for many brands. Back in the day some Japanese brands were way off. I generally ride at 5 mph indicated over the posted speed limits and never get hassled, probably because I'm really only 2 or 3 mph over.

·
Bronze member
1,464 Posts
Correct that’s why HeyHog said he was being passed like he was standing still. Thought he was doing 85 but actually going slower than that.
TG, I really think it's off more than that.....as I'm doing 80-85MPH on my bike....and still get passed by Mopeds and it feels like I'm only doing 65-70. That's a solid testament to the ride quality of the bike, but my gut tells me that the speedo's on our bike are over reporting the speed by at LEAST 5-8MPH, maybe more!!!! I could be wrong....but that's my gut.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TG, I really think it's off more than that.....as I'm doing 80-85MPH on my bike....and still get passed by Mopeds and it feels like I'm only doing 65-70. That's a solid testament to the ride quality of the bike, but my gut tells me that the speedo's on our bike are over reporting the speed by at LEAST 5-8MPH, maybe more!!!! I could be wrong....but that's my gut.
I can say this for sure. Sunday, on the highway, was the first time I really opened this bike up. Riding at 75 mph I cracked the throttle wide open. In two seconds when I looked at the speedo I was doing 105ish. I also had the gps speed up on the Ride Command and it said 101 so my speedo is not to bad. By the way at over 100 this bike was so stable and wanted to go way more. It impressed me and shocked me at the same time how comfortable and stable the Challenger is at that speed. AWSOME.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts