Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like they finally had the official announcement of the 131 M8 crate motor. Impressive specs on it! and bolts right in place on the 2018+ Softtail if it originally had the M8. i wonder who they were gunning for when they released this bad boy. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am hoping my one off 129 16 chieftain my numbers are higher than those above, especially after having Craig B remotely wideband tune it this year, took him 21 maps but the damn thing can pull tree stumps and has seen 140 on top end so far. Gonna dyno this coming spring for the real numbers ;).

·
Registered
748 Posts
$6,000+? :oops: That's a huge price tag for a performance upgrade.

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
406 Posts
Shadetree surgeon on YouTube is currently riding around on a road king with the 131. They’re calling it “road King Kong.” He likes it, but in his last video he dyno tested it against a 2005 triumph rocket 3 and it was embarrassing. So don’t drool just yet.

·
Bronze member
1,939 Posts
Ok, after hearing about a 131 getting dyno'd here's the screenshot of the #'s

·
Registered
211 Posts
Reading HD site.. Advertise... 50% increase in HP.... I did the math it is actually about 33% increase.. Ohh well... Good for them... A new toy for $$$

·
Registered
232 Posts
i wonder who they were gunning for when they released this bad boy. ;)

People who have more money than they know what to do with. The cost of this upgrade (engine + labor) will cost close to half of a Triumph Rocket 3. If that's what you want, I say just buy the R 3...unless you literally use wads of dollar bills to start fires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Also it needs to have a new set of recommended pipes, more money, then the clutch and trans on the stock motor won't take the extra horses and way more money = joke.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shadetree surgeon on YouTube is currently riding around on a road king with the 131. They’re calling it “road King Kong.” He likes it, but in his last video he dyno tested it against a 2005 triumph rocket 3 and it was embarrassing. So don’t drool just yet.
Yeah, a tuned Rocket III. He even says he knows there's more power there, but he won't do a tune because he wants to keep the warranty going. I can't blame him there!

I would've bought the new Rocket 3 GT, but I wanted luggage capabilities that I don't think will be possible on it. And would probably look awkward if they did it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah, a tuned Rocket III. He even says he knows there's more power there, but he won't do a tune because he wants to keep the warranty going. I can't blame him there!

I would've bought the new Rocket 3 GT, but I wanted luggage capabilities that I don't think will be possible on it. And would probably look awkward if they did it.
Yeah I agree. I don’t really like the idea of a touring rocket 3. now a touring challenger on the other hand... might just have to turn loose of the Roadmaster.

·
Bronze member
2,143 Posts
I am hoping my one off 129 16 chieftain my numbers are higher than those above, especially after having Craig B remotely wideband tune it this year, took him 21 maps but the damn thing can pull tree stumps and has seen 140 on top end so far. Gonna dyno this coming spring for the real numbers ;).
View attachment 605846
was just trying to understand the 129ci :

129 with Jeff's Stroker crank would need a 119 bore ...
could that be his new 118 with dished out pistons and the stroker crank?

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A $6,000 upgrade not including exhaust clutch and don’t forget the tranny. That will scrap a stock one. So ok a baker $10g upgrade all in. Those numbers are not really that far off a challengers. I think with 5g worth of work a challenger will beat it hands down. And watercooled for a somewhat reliability factor. Do tell me where you Riding that 131 ? Lol not cross country I’ll bet that. Any time I’ve built a HD motor with any kind of real power they shit the bed within 25,000 miles. Reliability gone just my experience 3x over

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
$6,000+? :oops: That's a huge price tag for a performance upgrade.
Especially when you can get aftermarket upgrade kits for the M8 you already have that produce way more power for that price. Another little tidbit that they don’t tell you is that if you beat on that 131 there is good chance you’ll grenade the tranny. Too much torque for current design. HD forums are full of stories.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Especially when you can get aftermarket upgrade kits for the M8 you already have that produce way more power for that price. Another little tidbit that they don’t tell you is that if you beat on that 131 there is good chance you’ll grenade the tranny. Too much torque for current design. HD forums are full of stories.
That’s exactly why I add the cost of a Baker tranny. Let’s be real nobody puts a 131 in to go leisurely cruising lol And your spot on it will smoke the tranny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I agree. I don’t really like the idea of a touring rocket 3. now a touring challenger on the other hand... might just have to turn loose of the Roadmaster.
I assume you're talking about the new Rocket 3, and I agree. My 2008 Rocket III Touring, on the other hand, was a great touring bike (great all-around actually, for those who might wanna know)... bone stock except for factory accessory mufflers (so I could hear something other than the valve train) and an ECM swap from the Touring's claimed 106hp/154 peak torque to the standard Rocket's 140/147. Here she's pictured mid-trip with my army buddy and his Street Glide.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,302 Posts
Yep other than it being two tone it's exactly like the 2010 R3T that I had. Mine was solid gloss black but vey pretty with all that chrome. It wound up being a shitty dealer that soured me on keeping it. 43 days in the shop for a broken detent spring in the transmission that was still covered under the 2 year unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty. The dealer kept it that long to get it past the 2 year limit but after I made several emails & calls to Triumph headquarters in Atlanta the dealer fixed it but wouldn't let me take it home without paying him for the labor. The warranty was for parts & labor. I was so pissed that I traded it in on a 2012 Victory Cross Country and never looked back.

·
Silver member
3,860 Posts
I assume you're talking about the new Rocket 3, and I agree. My 2008 Rocket III Touring, on the other hand, was a great touring bike (great all-around actually, for those who might wanna know)... bone stock except for factory accessory mufflers (so I could hear something other than the valve train) and an ECM swap from the Touring's claimed 106hp/154 peak torque to the standard Rocket's 140/147. Here she's pictured mid-trip with my army buddy and his Street Glide.
View attachment 605996
View attachment 605997
Beautiful bike. I test drove a black & white touring and liked it. It had not had the R3 Roadster tune done. If it had the tune I probably would have pulled the trigger. Problem around here with a Rocket is sort of like the Indian problem... lack of dealer network and lack of independent shops that have the knowhow. Even with the stock Touring tune it was a pretty spirited ride (o:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts