Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that anyone was asking for my review, but I just got done riding a 2018 Electra Glide for a week through the Alps of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. First the good:
  • The Rushmore has a great stereo system - as good if not better than the RM
  • The bag closing system is very secure and easy to operate - really like the the way the trunk operates and opens from the side
  • Cruise control is very easy to use and reach from the left side control
  • Fit and finish is really quite good - probably better than the RM
  • The stock seat was comfortable, if not a little too cushy when the riding was intense
  • Good strong brakes
Now, for the not so good:
  • The 107 engine is a dog, plain and simple. No real power after 3K and always had to drop a gear to pass anything. Tried a 3rd gear roll-on pass and almost got clipped by a car
  • The ABS was either defective on the bike, or the system is junk. Almost had two bad corner slides in the rain - may have also been the crappy Metzler tires it was running though
  • Clutch completely failed twice at altitude, and my buddy's bike completely failed and we had to do a road-side bleed to get it to town so it could be replaced (luckily the rental/touring company delivered 2 new bikes so we were only down for 3 hours). These bikes had 13K and 5K miles on them.
  • The frame has too much flex which makes riding continual switchbacks a major challenge
  • Finding neutral is a complete pain in the ass - makes the RM/Indian neutral finder look like a dream
  • If you think the Indian fob system is a joke, be thankful it isn't as bad as the H-D. The fob had to be in my jacket pocket on the left side all the time, otherwise the system would go off - even if it was in my left pants pocket.
  • While the balance is pretty good on the bike, i let go of the bars at about 60KPH to get some air in the jacket and there was a tremendous wobble in the front end. If I hadn't grabbed it back early, it would have continued and likely became a tank slapper. This was the case on both of the bikes I rode.
Overall, the bike was serviceable, but I couldn't see buying one at any price. It's lumbering, poor handling characteristics made it more of a chore to ride on mountain passes and the over 300 switchbacks we ran. Plus it would need some serious engine upgrades just to get it to the point where an Indian 111 is with just pipes and an airbox.

On a side note, if you ever had a desire to test your riding skill and see an amazing part of the world, I highly recommend a riding tour of the alps. Roads are in fantastic shape and every place we stopped for lunch had amazing food at pretty reasonable prices. A truly lifetime adventure.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Great review...I was stationed in Germany for 6 years and believe most European roads were designed with motorcycles in mind. Plus I believe people in cars are friendlier to bikers than they are here in the U.S.

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
All reviews are good
There’s only a select few here that believe that their bike, music choice, and hair style matters

A side from that
I think being a rental you may have had a few more of those issues that you might not otherwise have if it was your personal bike

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Odd that you had issues with the Metzler tires. I put a set of Metzler Cruisetechs on my RM just prior to riding through the Alps, and I loved them! Rain or shine, the bike felt like it was stuck to the road.

Reactions: Hawgrunner

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Not that anyone was asking for my review, but I just got done riding a 2018 Electra Glide for a week through the Alps of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. First the good:
  • The Rushmore has a great stereo system - as good if not better than the RM
  • The bag closing system is very secure and easy to operate - really like the the way the trunk operates and opens from the side
  • Cruise control is very easy to use and reach from the left side control
  • Fit and finish is really quite good - probably better than the RM
  • The stock seat was comfortable, if not a little too cushy when the riding was intense
  • Good strong brakes
Now, for the not so good:
  • The 107 engine is a dog, plain and simple. No real power after 3K and always had to drop a gear to pass anything. Tried a 3rd gear roll-on pass and almost got clipped by a car
  • The ABS was either defective on the bike, or the system is junk. Almost had two bad corner slides in the rain - may have also been the crappy Metzler tires it was running though
  • Clutch completely failed twice at altitude, and my buddy's bike completely failed and we had to do a road-side bleed to get it to town so it could be replaced (luckily the rental/touring company delivered 2 new bikes so we were only down for 3 hours). These bikes had 13K and 5K miles on them.
  • The frame has too much flex which makes riding continual switchbacks a major challenge
  • Finding neutral is a complete pain in the ass - makes the RM/Indian neutral finder look like a dream
  • If you think the Indian fob system is a joke, be thankful it isn't as bad as the H-D. The fob had to be in my jacket pocket on the left side all the time, otherwise the system would go off - even if it was in my left pants pocket.
  • While the balance is pretty good on the bike, i let go of the bars at about 60KPH to get some air in the jacket and there was a tremendous wobble in the front end. If I hadn't grabbed it back early, it would have continued and likely became a tank slapper. This was the case on both of the bikes I rode.
Overall, the bike was serviceable, but I couldn't see buying one at any price. It's lumbering, poor handling characteristics made it more of a chore to ride on mountain passes and the over 300 switchbacks we ran. Plus it would need some serious engine upgrades just to get it to the point where an Indian 111 is with just pipes and an airbox.

On a side note, if you ever had a desire to test your riding skill and see an amazing part of the world, I highly recommend a riding tour of the alps. Roads are in fantastic shape and every place we stopped for lunch had amazing food at pretty reasonable prices. A truly lifetime adventure.
I like your thoughts, but try a 19 with a 114 motor, big dif from a 107, you let go of the bars a created a sail with your jacket, took out 19 SGS and found no wobble letting go of the bars and fooling with my jacket, don't know why you had a fob problem, have kept mine in my watch pocket along with my nitro pills with no problem, also in the saddle bag no problem, never had a hard time finding neutral, the problems were found probably a run to heck bike no one cared to take care of especially a rental,.all in all glad you had a great time and many more to ya.

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The second bike had only 1500 miles on it and still had the wobble with American Elites. And while these bikes are rentals, they are very well cared for. Could pass the clutch issues off to bikes with low miles but hard clutching in the Alps. I believe the wobble is an inherent flaw, at least on the 2 2018's I rode. It's possible they have improved it. And I didn't let go to create a sail with my jacket, just to stick my arms out. Even if I put one arm out, It still had a little shake on both bikes.

Regardless, it's only my opinion of the bike, so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts