Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like H-D has ditched Sammy Halbert and late season addition, Brandon Robinson to create a mostly new team. It will be a three bike effort with Jared Vanderkooi, Daulton Gauthier, and Bryan Smith! Yes, the same Bryan Smith that changed from Indian to Kawasaki last year and had a pretty rough go of it.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the team announcements. I am still hoping that Daniel Carver Jr. ends up on either Kenny Coolbeths' team (Nila Racing) or if Jared Mees starts a team, he joins that one!

·
Founding member
1,132 Posts
Wow "Flyin' Bryan" is a real surprise to me, but heck he couldn't win on his Kawi and will likely fall deeper into the pack with this change...

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
I think Sammy was ready to hit the bricks about July last year.... not surprising about him.. Brandon is kinda a surprise... the new additions.. the only surprise to me is Smith... I wonder if HD will let him design the bike or say no like Indian...

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What will be interesting about a 3 bike team is how that works with the rules. If I understand them correctly, a team can have as many bikes as they want, but they are only guaranteed 2 spots on the track. Perhaps H-D is banking on there not being 9 full teams and their 3rd rider getting in, or they are encouraging in-team performance fights.

I would be a little surprised if H-D allows Smith to design his own frame. Factory teams are usually about consistency in look to promote the sales of that bike.

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,379 Posts
What will be interesting about a 3 bike team is how that works with the rules. If I understand them correctly, a team can have as many bikes as they want, but they are only guaranteed 2 spots on the track. Perhaps H-D is banking on there not being 9 full teams and their 3rd rider getting in, or they are encouraging in-team performance fights.

I would be a little surprised if H-D allows Smith to design his own frame. Factory teams are usually about consistency in look to promote the sales of that bike.
Sounds like to me they are giving him free range since his crew chief will be over all 3 teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
Smith has been around the track long enough to not sign a contract that didn't give him what he wants. He's certainly talented enough to leverage his skill.
I'll be really interested to see where Sammy Halbert ends up. He's a a tough rider who really hasn't found a ride that gives him a competitive edge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts