Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts from riders who've had their catalytic converter gutted, and am wondering what the benefits are? Also, are there any issues with gutting the cat? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
benefits are a reduction in heat... I haven't done mine and don't plan to as the heat is a non-issue to me.. if you want to and don't have time or experience go to americancustomexhuast.com they have them for sale already de-catted.. around $300 if I remember right

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
There are quite a number of posts on this subject, opinions vary from one extreme to the other.

Here is my info. Operate the bike in Oklahoma and Texas, normal to be in 100 degree plus. I noticed the plastic side cover directly above the cat started to warp or melt. Bike is out of factory warranty. Pulled the cat and gutted, reinstalled all the original piping and empty cat chamber. Substantial difference in heat from the now empty cat. There was a little, very little, difference in exhaust tone. There was absolutely NO difference in torque (people will tell you that you'll lose torque) however the throttle response was much quicker (get up and go). I have the Stage 1 mufflers and the Big Sucker air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
It's already been said the main benefit is heat reduction and the exhaust will be a bit louder. The main disadvantage of gutting a stock header is you'll get a "tinny" sound or "pinging" sound... and the exhaust will be louder. Just depends on what your flavor is for the exhaust sound.

There are plenty of aftermarket options out there for headers without a catalytic converter and it's simple enough to do yourself. FuelMoto sells the JackPot header and is pretty popular. I put that on and then when reassembling, stripped out the bolts for my right floor board so I had to take it to the shop to get the threads tapped. The techs hadn't seen the JackPot before so they fired it up and were all impressed how it looked and the exhaust sound. The main guy commented that it didn't have any of the "tinny" or "pinging" sound that a lot of bikes without the cat have.

There's the true dual route that is popular as well. You will lose performance if you go with true duals though. The do sound and look great though.

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
Yep when you cut the cat you will get that tinny / pinky sound till it warms up then it stops. Seriously got rid of the heat this bike and the HD I had before I Got rid of the cat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I punched teh cat out last fall, I stopped at Menards and found a 1/2" bellhangers drill that would reach through from the end of the pipe and then used a 1/2" angle that I kinda sharpened to use as a chisel once I drilled some holes through the matrix to punch the rest of it out.

I haven't rode it too much since I did it, yes, there is a tinny ring to the exhaust when I 1st start it up. I don't really notice it once it's fully warmed up. The volume is increased a bit, not enough to bother me.

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
I just don't understand why people would buy premium motorcycle like an Indian and get cheap with the exhaust. The bike deserves a true dual system.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
I would love a freedom dual shark tail exhaust.maybe if the price comes down.untill then I just drilled out my cat,much cooler.
I not going to pay 1200 bucks for exhaust on my Indian.when l put new upsweeps on a Harley for 300.
2 inch drag pipes for a shovelhead came in last month 60 bucks free shipping.
I'm thinking 1200 is a little over the top.
But man they are the best pipes out there.

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
I would love a freedom dual shark tail exhaust.maybe if the price comes down.untill then I just drilled out my cat,much cooler.
I not going to pay 1200 bucks for exhaust on my Indian.when l put new upsweeps on a Harley for 300.
2 inch drag pipes for a shovelhead came in last month 60 bucks free shipping.
I'm thinking 1200 is a little over the top.
But man they are the best pipes out there.
My FP True Duals with fishtails were 2/3's that cost. They were close to the cost of Indian slip ons. I get more compliments from them, than anything else. Not to mention the sound that can only come from true duals. It's all about sound and looks. None will get you noticeable HP gain.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had AC and stage 1 pipes on my bike from new. Then I started reading about people gutting the cat and it put the thought in my head. A year after I bought the bike I decided to put in Lloyds 558 cams and have the guy gut the cat at the same time. He'd done them before and he said there would be a slight increase in noise.

I found the increase way more than slight. I have a Db meter and with it sitting on the tank and riding the bike on the open road it could get to 115 dB running up through the gears. It also changed the note from a low rumble to a sharp attack dog bark, especially when pulling away from lights etc. We have a 95 dB limit here and the local coppers can get a bit focused when there is a bike that catches their attention. I found myself riding like an old grandpa.

Six months later I swapped my gutted cat for a stock one with another rider. He was happy with the noise increase. It might be that my cams played a part in why my noise increased as it did.

I got the tinny noise at cold start idle that others have mentioned. And I didn't notice any difference with the heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts