Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Aftermarket header

Votes: 11 37.9%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about gutting my cat. The dealer says they’ve done a few but says there is a ton of horsepower loss. He also said the bikes they gutted cats on sounded poor. How much truth is there to this?

·
Bronze member
3,933 Posts
Jamie at Fuel Moto and Lloyd Greer of Lloydz performance will tell you the Indian header with CAT gets you the best performance gains

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jamie at Fuel Moto and Lloyd Greer of Lloydz performance will tell you the Indian header with CAT gets you the best performance gains
I’m not worried about best performance, I’m worried about poor performance. If I lose a little bit but gain heat reduction I’ll be happy. I just don’t want to lose 10%.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That seems odd that Fuel Moto would say that when they are proud of the Jackpot headers they sell without a cat. I know it’s a different configuration but can’t imagine it would be a drastic difference from a gutted stock.

·
Bronze member
3,933 Posts
That seems odd that Fuel Moto would say that when they are proud of the Jackpot headers they sell without a cat. I know it’s a different configuration but can’t imagine it would be a drastic difference from a gutted stock.
Not really. The jackpot header is to keep you from loosing performance for those who want to remove the CAT. If you look at the Dyno Charts on their website, you will see stock and Jackpot and their is little to no difference

·
Bronze member
1,914 Posts
Any time you alter the exhaust the bike should be tuned for optimum performance.

·
Bronze member
2,151 Posts
The heat reduction was very noticeable. The sound did change slightly. Any torque or HP loss was negligible. I added a steel diverter to help equal out the left/right exhaust. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
11 Posts
For you guys that have done it...do you have any useful tips that worked for you when it came to actually removing the Cat material? I have my mid pipe off, I’ve got it cut open and have started the hammer and screw driver chisel process. It’s been tedious to say the least.

·
Bronze member
2,151 Posts
For you guys that have done it...do you have any useful tips that worked for you when it came to actually removing the Cat material? I have my mid pipe off, I’ve got it cut open and have started the hammer and screw driver chisel process. It’s been tedious to say the least. View attachment 595329
It's been awhile, but if I recall it was leather gloves, several different chisels, screw drivers, channel locks and vise grip pliers. I tried several power tools on it, but didn't get anywhere. Unless somebody else has a great idea getting the cat material out- about 30-40 minutes. Good for 2-3 beers time wise, It's hard work. You may want to look into welding a 4-5" steel divider down the middle with a slight bend to equal out the left/right exhaust pulse before you weld it shut. My exhaust is about 60/40 left dominant. Not exact or perfect but maybe it put a little back pressure in. Good luck.

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's been awhile, but if I recall it was leather gloves, several different chisels, screw drivers, channel locks and vise grip pliers. I tried several power tools on it, but didn't get anywhere. Unless somebody else has a great idea getting the cat material out- about 30-40 minutes. Good for 2-3 beers time wise, It's hard work. You may want to look into welding a 4-5" steel divider down the middle with a slight bend to equal out the left/right exhaust pulse before you weld it shut. My exhaust is about 60/40 left dominant. Not exact or perfect but maybe it put a little back pressure in. Good luck.
I just finished getting the rest of it out about 20 minutes ago before I sat down to eat. It was a little bit of work. Now I’m just trying to get it nice and clean from where any of the Outer skin of the Cat may still be clinging on.

It may sound like a dumb question but is there any concern if I miss any glued on flakes with my Dremel?My paranoid imagination was wondering if it was possible to get hot enough to break loose. I’m not worried about it blowing into the muffler, I just want to make sure it wouldn’t somehow blow back into the motor via some back pressure or turbulence?

·
Bronze member
2,151 Posts
I just finished getting the rest of it out about 20 minutes ago before I sat down to eat. It was a little bit of work. Now I’m just trying to get it nice and clean from where any of the Outer skin of the Cat may still be clinging on.

It may sound like a dumb question but is there any concern if I miss any glued on flakes with my Dremel?My paranoid imagination was wondering if it was possible to get hot enough to break loose. I’m not worried about it blowing into the muffler, I just want to make sure it wouldn’t somehow blow back into the motor via some back pressure or turbulence?
I had the same concern so I tried a sand paper wheel on my hand grinder and then maybe finished it off with my Dremel with a light grinding wheel. I think it came out fairly smooth and clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same concern so I tried a sand paper wheel on my hand grinder and then maybe finished it off with my Dremel with a light grinding wheel. I think it came out fairly smooth and clean.
I was just talking to an engineer buddy that works for Caterpillar and overall smart guy. Not so worried anymore after doing so.Still got it pretty clean though.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Nobody would know unless they had it dyno’d before and after. Had mine done and noticed the heat is now substantially less. I have an 18 SFDH with stage 2.... havnt noticed a loss in power and saw better gas mileage on longer highway rides. At about 75-80 mph it will get low 40’s.

·
Rider
974 Posts
I didn't feel any torque reduction. Definitely worth it. I think your dealer doesn't know how or like to do it.

·
Founding member
453 Posts
If catalytic converters are such a performance enhancement, why don't we see them in race cars?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I gutted the cat on my Springfield about a year ago. No noticeable change in performance. When I start it there is a bit of pinging until it warms up. It still gets pretty hot on those summer days sitting in traffic but that’s all I can say about it. I am fairly neutral about it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts