Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bit over a month of owning the Scout I'm pretty used to the people stopping to check it out and start conversations about it. I'm also used to getting smiles, nods, thumbs up, etc. while riding.

Today was a combination of all of the above when, while riding home from work down Iliff Ave. a guy in the car to my right rolls down his window, gives a grin and a thumbs up and starts asking about the bike ... all while moving through traffic like it's the most ordinary thing in the world. The conversation went something like this:

Motorist: (Thumbing up) "Hey!

Me: "Hey."

Motorist: "That the new Indian?"

Me: "Yup."

Motorist: "How you likin' it?"

Me: "I'm lovin' it!"

Motorist: "Been lookin' at those on the net. Gonna have to get me one."

Me: "Do it. You might have a bit of a wait though..."

Motorist: " ... something unintelligible due to traffic noise and the fact that his lane slowed down while mine didn't ... "

Me: *Quick wave while accelerating up the hill toward Parker Rd.*

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
the question i get asked is "what year is that "...
Still waiting. Does the average Joe think it's a old Indian that has been rebuilt? If so, then that's cool. It looks like what a real motorcycle should look like. I bet if you surveyed 100 non riders asking them what decade the bike was from 75% would say the 1940's. Plus I would bet that most of the people who saw the Scout will tell their friends about it. Saying things like "I saw a real cool motorcycle today, it was a Indian and it's made in America.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... <snip>...Plus I would bet that most of the people who saw the Scout will tell their friends about it. Saying things like "I saw a real cool motorcycle today, it was a Indian and it's made in America.
Last week, about 3 blocks from the house a group of half a dozen high school kids was crossing the street as I was approaching. They all stopped in the left lane and watched as I rode by. They were saying something as I went by, but the only word I clearly caught was "Whoa!"

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Indian nailed it with the looks of the Scout bike. It's a bike for all ages and both new and experienced riders. I've been watching and waiting for five years, trying to decide what new bike to buy. Then came the Scout and I knew it was the right one. I think it's a classic already.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Went on a ride with my friend on his Harley today (Yes, Indians and Harley's can ride together) Lots of nice comments for my bike at stoplights and none for Roy's Harley :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
These postings are giving me assurances that buying (well waiting) for my 1st Run red Scout is a sound decision. Eustress is a good thing.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
It's going to be worth the wait. You lost me on that eustress word.
Whoos

·
Registered
441 Posts
There were a handful of bikes I was looking at before seeing the Scout, once I saw it all those other bikes went poof, I will continue waiting as painful as it is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just hope by the time I get my bike there are still some compliments/questions left to go around. The Scout might be "old hat" by then.............Naaaaahhhh.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
It is real funny to watch HD riders trying to scope out your bike with out letting anyone see them do it.
At the gas station yesterday the husband (dressed in HD gear) wouldn't even look my way, but the wife got out when I went to the bathroom to check out the bike.

By her actions and look on her face I think the husband will riding an Indian soon[woot]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I get the "what year is that" question. Usually from older people. A guy at church asked, and when I said 14, he said "1914?! Wow!" I had to correct him and let. Him know they are back and he should get one.

I have had an old tin sign in my garage of a 1948 Chief and I have to say, aside from a few modern changes, it looks REALLY a similar.

Other younger people just say they like the lines and the leather, but they are all enjoying, as they should.

Some people are just haters saying they're just copying the original. I don't care. That is what is selling- the nostalgia! They don't call it a "vintage" and a"classic" for nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Some people are just haters saying they're just copying the original. I don't care. That is what is selling- the nostalgia! They don't call it a "vintage" and a"classic" for nothing.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LOL! What the heck???!!!
TDK, what a naïve, ignorant try at a put down! Damn, it's like a compliment to you/me/all other Scout owners! Some great beautiful lines and styling cues from the original classics combined with superb modern technology! Just the way it ought to be. Keep enjoying that Scout! :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts