Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Founding member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after riding about 60 miles today, I have come to the conclusion that I don't like the size of the grips. The stock ones are too small for me. I heard others make similar comments on this forum. Any recommendations on changing to bigger more comfortable grips?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I thought that too when I first sat on one. I think some leather wraps would help. I like to wear leather gloves when I ride, so that would help too.

after riding about 60 miles today, I have come to the conclusion that I don't like the size of the grips. The stock ones are too small for me. I heard others make similar comments on this forum. Any recommendations on changing to bigger more comfortable grips?
5337550 TUBE, THROTTLE, ETC&

5337816 TUBE, GRIP, LH are from the Chiefs handlebar, which is also a 7/8" at the ends. These sleeves increase the diameter so that the larger 1" grips can be used.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would like to add heated grips to the Scout, but have heard the throttle 'grip' material is bonded to the throttle twist assembly so it may not be so easy to install heated grips.

The same issue may apply to anyone wanting to change out the factory Scout grips for different ones?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
My clutch hand for some reason always hurts and I think it is because the grip might be small for my hand. Anyway, I ordered some black leather wraps off of ebay. Will see if that helps.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Azmark, I pasted one of my earlier responses in a different thread below. What's nice about these is that they provide a bit of cushion, super easy to install AND quite inexpensive. Because of the low price, you can still get a good idea of what bigger grips would feel like, and if you don't like them, you can easily switch. I've loved mine on my BMW's.

Some earlier threads had a couple riders thinking (based on their demo rides) that the stock grips were too small andI had put out the suggestion that a nice quick inexpensive solution was to install a set of Grip Puppies -
Grip Covers - Grab On Foam Grip Covers - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories .
Personally, I was waiting to see how my own Scout felt. After about 250 miles I'm happy with the size of the standard grips. Not sure if I even want to install Grip Puppies at this point. However, after a 25 mile ride today in 36 degree weather, the standard grips were feeling awfully cold and hard. Grip Puppies (or similar products) do add a bit of cushioning along with as slightly larger diameter. I could change my mind but as I said, I'm inclined at this point to keep the stock

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Indian makes leather grip wraps for the other bikes, but they will not fit the Scouts. I have access to a sewing machine that can stitch leather, and Michael's art supply sells some nice, soft, saddle tan leather. Thinking of making my own.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would concur with others, that the easiest way to increase grip size will be to add leather or foam over grips. They are readily available on the market. I have a set of brown leather grip wraps waiting on delivery of my Scout.
Regarding heated grips, I have installed the cheap heated grip wrap systems between stock grips and foam over grips with decent success. That would address both issues at once with minimal cost and effort.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
For some reason,I have not had good luck with foam. Resorted to wrapping the grips with leather bicycle wrap sold by Brooks. Not a fashion queen, but I think they have colors nearly identical to our seats. I don't have enough miles on the Indian to opine yet, but might do same at some point.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
5337550 TUBE, THROTTLE, ETC&

5337816 TUBE, GRIP, LH are from the Chiefs handlebar, which is also a 7/8" at the ends. These sleeves increase the diameter so that the larger 1" grips can be used.
Different internal tube sizes, right side connection and different TBW spooling. Tech says won't work.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
For some reason,I have not had good luck with foam. Resorted to wrapping the grips with leather bicycle wrap sold by Brooks. Not a fashion queen, but I think they have colors nearly identical to our seats. I don't have enough miles on the Indian to opine yet, but might do same at some point.
An idea I never thought of but really like, thanks once more.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Which one did you buy Meggie, can you post a good url?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I thought that too when I first sat on one. I think some leather wraps would help. I like to wear leather gloves when I ride, so that would help too.
I always wear gauntlet gloves and comfort level is good with stock grips

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I made a set of leather grips for my vintage, yesterday I was going up a slight hill that never requires much more throttle. I keep adding throttle but the bike keeps slowing, I'm thinking wtf throttle by wire b.s. or something. How bout slipping leather grips, just enough to keep the throttle backing off. I ripped them off and all is well, guess I will have to tighten them up a bit.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts