Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
36EF01A7-4633-4984-9223-53EAE702334F.jpeg
If anyone finds the Scout handlebar grips just a little too narrow, Grip Puppies can provide a neat and economical solution. These foam ‘overgrips’ are designed to slide right over the existing grips and can be cut to fit different applications. No special tools are required and they come with a 5 year limited warranty. In fairness, these were the Devil’s own business to mount and required copious amounts of water, soap and elbow grease before they would finally slide in to place. Yet at $18 or so, they provide a nicely finished look, fill the hand far better than the stock grips alone, and are quite comfortable to boot.

Highly recommended!

·
Bronze member
1,179 Posts
Where did you buy them? Amazon? Planning on grabbing some of these for mine.

·
Rider
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BB187135-E271-4133-9289-16D9504BC05D.jpeg
Where did you buy them? Amazon? Planning on grabbing some of these for mine.
Yes, Sir. Amazon with the free Prime shipping. Here they are from another angle. I’m really pleased with how well they work, though they really were a bear to muscle on. I ended up palm striking the open ends repeatedly once they were halfway on and that seemed to displace the air and allow them to inch into place.

·
Bronze member
1,179 Posts
View attachment 518646
Yes, Sir. Amazon with the free Prime shipping. Here they are from another angle. I’m really pleased with how well they work, though they really were a bear to muscle on. I ended up palm striking the open ends repeatedly once they were halfway on and that seemed to displace the air and allow them to inch into place.
I'll keep the palm strike in mind when I get mine lol

Reactions: CaptFlood

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have these on my 16 RM and absolutely love them. I ripped through a few (I'm a bit heavy handed lol) so the last pair I put on using a thin flat-head screwdriver. I protected the handlebars with a towel and slid the screwdriver through grip puppy and then applied soapy water to the puppy. I then used the screwdriver to work the puppy on making sure to switch work it on from different angles.

I hope this helps.

·
Rider
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have these on my 16 RM and absolutely love them. I ripped through a few (I'm a bit heavy handed lol) so the last pair I put on using a thin flat-head screwdriver. I protected the handlebars with a towel and slid the screwdriver through grip puppy and then applied soapy water to the puppy. I then used the screwdriver to work the puppy on making sure to switch work it on from different angles.

I hope this helps.
I feel you. I was sure I was going to tear mine as well but thankfully, a ton of soapy water and whacking the open end with my palm eventually enabled them to slide into place. A flat-head screwdriver seems like a great idea.

My only concern is I used SO much soapy water that I’m afraid my grips will look like they have rabies the first time I get caught in a downpour.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice. I really like the look; I just wasn’t ready to invest that much when the Grip Puppies were just $18.00 and actually look pretty sano for foam grips.
Indian is kinda proud of their products.

You have a very viable solution to the skinny hand grip.

Totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
View attachment 518644 If anyone finds the Scout handlebar grips just a little too narrow, Grip Puppies can provide a neat and economical solution. These foam ‘overgrips’ are designed to slide right over the existing grips and can be cut to fit different applications. No special tools are required and they come with a 5 year limited warranty. In fairness, these were the Devil’s own business to mount and required copious amounts of water, soap and elbow grease before they would finally slide in to place. Yet at $18 or so, they provide a nicely finished look, fill the hand far better than the stock grips alone, and are quite comfortable to boot.

Highly recommended!
Grip puppies are the best, been using them for years!

mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Several years ago and on a different bike I bought some foam grips like these and liked them a lot. I remember that the ones I had said to use hair spray. You spray the handle bar grip with a little and the inside of the grip with a little and then slip them on while it is still wet. When it dried, it also helped them stick better and not slip. You can clean up any residue that squeezes out with a rag and some solvent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts