Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shifted from 2nd to 3rd today and the bike bucked and immediately went into limp mode and threw a code. After turning it off and back on again I was out of limp mode. When I got home the pv3 revealed a code that I was unable to locate. I did find a match on the RZR forum. It states “throttle body position not allowed.” How very interesting. It wasn’t even an active code at this point so back out I went. After about three stops the check engine light went away. Something happened that pissed it off, but I guess it’ll be forever a mystery.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Could have got a little bit of water in the fuel? The codes that show up typically will clear after three ignition cycles. Then if the issue still remains it will show again. From my experiences anyway

·
Registered
350 Posts
It`s probably nothing to worry about, there is a very similar thread in the "Springfield" section of this forum. lots of detailed information too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same experience on my BMW 1200GSA as well. Its not a pleasant experience going into limp mode in rush hour traffic while in the fast lane and the only shoulder is four lanes over! My bike gave a similar code indicating the left throttle body which is common with owners. I guess the system is super sensitive to throttle body discrepancies even if its not apparent to the rider.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I do not believe The Bell protects or deflects (or iz meant to) the affects of the I/P shit electrical systems. Might be best to hang an I/P engineer from the bottom most part of your bike, and see if that helps.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,279 Posts
I shifted from 2nd to 3rd today and the bike bucked and immediately went into limp mode and threw a code. After turning it off and back on again I was out of limp mode. When I got home the pv3 revealed a code that I was unable to locate. I did find a match on the RZR forum. It states “throttle body position not allowed.” How very interesting. It wasn’t even an active code at this point so back out I went. After about three stops the check engine light went away. Something happened that pissed it off, but I guess it’ll be forever a mystery.
Since you were shifting from 2nd to 3rd at the time of the issue and with a "throttle body position not allowed" I wonder if you had a momentary glitch with the throttle position sensor by the right handle. Might be wiring or the sensor itself. It would be interesting to try this with the engine running. Put some pressure on the right handle bar throttle going in and out to see if the limp mode comes back. Dean

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you were shifting from 2nd to 3rd at the time of the issue and with a "throttle body position not allowed" I wonder if you had a momentary glitch with the throttle position sensor by the right handle. Might be wiring or the sensor itself. It would be interesting to try this with the engine running. Put some pressure on the right handle bar throttle going in and out to see if the limp mode comes back. Dean
Talked to the dealer today and gave him the code that tripped. He asked if I went over something bumpy when it happened. After he mentioned it, yeah I did roll over a train track. He said a good bump will cause the throttle body to get pissy in rare occasions. He said it would probably never happen again.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,279 Posts
Talked to the dealer today and gave him the code that tripped. He asked if I went over something bumpy when it happened. After he mentioned it, yeah I did roll over a train track. He said a good bump will cause the throttle body to get pissy in rare occasions. He said it would probably never happen again.
The throttle body or the throttle position sensor? I could see of bad input from the throttle sensor trying to drive the throttle body to where it not want to go. The throttle body is a pretty robust unit that I could not see effected by hard bumps. Dean

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The throttle body or the throttle position sensor? I could see of bad input from the throttle sensor trying to drive the throttle body to where it not want to go. The throttle body is a pretty robust unit that I could not see effected by hard bumps. Dean
I’ll bet he was specifically talking about the sensor. I ride in sport mode anyway so I probably wiggled that throttle a bit going over the tracks. I did another 100 miles yesterday after that with no reoccurrence and I’ll probably ride another 150-200 today. I’m not concerned about it at this point.

Reactions: Dean E
1 - 11 of 11 Posts