Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rob Gregory, the owner of Gregory Polaris in Little Rock, one of the larger Indian dealers in the country, has been working with Tab, a smaller performance exhaust company, in the development of a crossover pipe that removes the catalytic converter and adds power! The final prototype before production has been run and they are ready to take orders. The gain is 6-7 HP (!) and 3-4 ft-lbs of torque! Because of the assistance Gregory Polaris has provided they have an 8 week exclusive and are offering the pipe for $400. After the exclusive the cost is estimated to be $475 or higher. Gregory worked with Tab on several prototypes to make it extremely easy for installation and proper fit using existing hardware and the existing donut gasket. If interested call Gregory Polaris at: 501-834-0344.

The installation at Gregory polaris costs $120. but I 've been told that riders could do it in their garage with very few tools needed. Again, the benefits, as related to me, are as follows:
  • It gets rid of the catalytic converter and the excessive choke down of the challenger engine.
  • It yields a 6-7 HP gain and a 3-4 ft-lbs. of torque increase if using stock slip ons.

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just a customer who lives 480 miles south of Gregory Polaris and got the info because I'm a customer. I don't own a Challenger yet. I ride a RM. I'm sure that if you call Gregory Polaris they'll send you whatever info. you request.

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
I'm a long time TAB Performance customer.....why can't we buy these direct from the vendor at TAB??!! I, too, would like to see a couple pics, a before and after dyno run and an install video. Would also like to see some numbers/reports of this device with TAB exhaust and NOT stock slip ons. Just so you guys know, the big "suitcase" underneath the mid section of our bikes is not just a CAT....it it is also a resonator to keep back-pressure and sound in check. I'm going to wait to see how this rolls out and let some early customers chime in on how this performs AND sounds. A lot of engineering went into this bike and current exhaust system and while I have nothing against TAB Performance, last I checked, they are NOT an engineering firm, so I have to believe they are filling the demand for buyers who just want to delete the CAT/resonator with little something that sounds a little better...but may not perform at the level they are promoting here. Sound plays games with our ears; seeing is believing...not just hearing. But I'll keep an open mind!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I made a post regarding this same topic with a couple of videos by Gregory Polaris while running the dyno test with the new TAB Crossover.... Didn't see this post. They don't have any photo release of the unit as of yet that I'm aware of.

I would imagine that they are only making the first 200 units to test the waters. Meaning, will there be enough demand for a prefabricated crossover pipe that eliminates the CAT and to see how well the pipe design will stand up over time while in actual riding conditions or use.

I've placed a preorder today with Rob and he said my order was $400.00 that included shipping. My Bank account confirmed his quote.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,901 Posts
I'm a long time TAB Performance customer.....why can't we buy these direct from the vendor at TAB??!! I, too, would like to see a couple pics, a before and after dyno run and an install video. Would also like to see some numbers/reports of this device with TAB exhaust and NOT stock slip ons. Just so you guys know, the big "suitcase" underneath the mid section of our bikes is not just a CAT....it it is also a resonator to keep back-pressure and sound in check. I'm going to wait to see how this rolls out and let some early customers chime in on how this performs AND sounds. A lot of engineering went into this bike and current exhaust system and while I have nothing against TAB Performance, last I checked, they are NOT an engineering firm, so I have to believe they are filling the demand for buyers who just want to delete the CAT/resonator with little something that sounds a little better...but may not perform at the level they are promoting here. Sound plays games with our ears; seeing is believing...not just hearing. But I'll keep an open mind!!!!
Apparently .. .you didn't read the OPs post .. . ... on why you can't get them direct out the gate ... smh

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Apparently .. .you didn't read the OPs post .. . ... on why you can't get them direct out the gate ... smh
Rick, I read the OP's post......was merely questioning why interested parties couldn't buy directly from the vendor as a repeat customer. Nothing against GP.....but just trying to simplify by buying process as TAB already has all of my account information. Pardon the question....but what does smh mean!!!?!?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Even though this was a joint venture by TAB & GP we don't know who possibly financed the development and I'm thinking it might of been Gregory Polaris and that's why they are selling them (first 200 units) right now in lieu of Tab Performance.

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
I would be more interested in a video of back to back dyno runs showing the supposed claims.

That would be blasphemy (showing actual real numbers) vs innuendo and claims of performance gains whala. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just like all the other "Performance products" out there:sneaky::rolleyes::sneaky::rolleyes::sneaky:. Claims of gains with zero evidence. 5-6 HP is within the tolerance variance of a dyno anyway. And the torque numbers are nothing.

Changing the pipes for sound and looks, yes I totally get that. But the factory exhausts are pretty muched dialed in, as proven with the 111. The best gains seen oin the 111/116 were with STOCK pipes and CAT with the plugs punched out. And there is dyno charts to prove it.

So these new pipes may sound great and look great, and as long as they don't reduce power like many aftermarket pipes do, then they will be a nice addition for looks and sound.

·
Bronze member
1,729 Posts
5-6 H.P. is NOT an acceptable "tolerance variance" in dyno operation. As a 25+ year DynoJet dyno operator I have to scoff at these kinda claims.As long as the important "variables" encountered in dyno operation are monitored and maintained I have seen LESS than 1 H.P. variation in back to back dyo runs during a dyno session, and that may not even be thru out the dyno run, but in a limited area. Dyno sessions on the same bike performed on different days are where variations can be seen, but that is to be expected.
Since the OP is merely relating info and there is the contact name and nmbr provided posted, that is where one would go to and request the mentioned dyno graphs.
In my experience the power claims are in the ballpark and this 108 being an engine of completely different architecture from the TS111 ny comparison is moot, 2 different animals.

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
5-6 H.P. is NOT an acceptable "tolerance variance" in dyno operation. As a 25+ year DynoJet dyno operator I have to scoff at these kinda claims.As long as the important "variables" encountered in dyno operation are monitored and maintained I have seen LESS than 1 H.P. variation in back to back dyo runs during a dyno session, and that may not even be thru out the dyno run, but in a limited area. Dyno sessions on the same bike performed on different days are where variations can be seen, but that is to be expected.
Since the OP is merely relating info and there is the contact name and nmbr provided posted, that is where one would go to and request the mentioned dyno graphs.
In my experience the power claims are in the ballpark and this 108 being an engine of completely different architecture from the TS111 ny comparison is moot, 2 different animals.

RACNRAY
So what's your opinion here Ray; do you think this mod is worth the looks, sound and nominal increase in power (in that order) or should I keep my 400 feathers in my quiver? I really hate looking at that big "suitcase" under the mid-section of my Challenger, so for me, the looks alone is probably a decent investment here. It's more noticeable with the scoot on its kickstand. I have to also believe throttle response might be a little better as a result of a little better breathing for the engine. I dunno.....I think it's mostly smoke and mirrors......

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Everything RACNRAY said as usual is absolutley right, anyone who has been around and/or has performed enough dynomometer testing already kowns (the variations of testing) this. Just elliminating the CAT may or may not produce any (real) measurable increase. In fact the new crossover may reduce the exhuast compression too much with the pre-set engine tuning however, I like the idea that this new crossover pipe will make it an easy cat elimination process and of course it's also going to help with the exhaust (purr) sound note.

As for the throttle reponse, just by adding the TAB Crossover pipe it's not going to make any real or noticable difference until we have a tuner (similar or better than the PVCX) available that will allow for us to adjust the fly-by-wire throttle response to our needs/liking.

I'm sure adding the TAB (cat elimination) crossover pipe will help with exhaust exportation of your slip-on mufflers and of course increase the exhaust sound note somewhat. I will bet that by removing the CAT pipe it will take a couple of pounds of weight off of the bike anyways.... :cool:

I ordered the new Crossover pipe due mostly to the fact it provides an easy bolt on/off solution to de-catting of the factory exhaust system and of course I'm also wanting to get a little more purr out of the sound note produced by my Stage-1 intake and the TAB Performance 2.5" baffle exhaust slip-ons.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am totally puzzled. Adding Tab mufflers with Zombie baffles makes the bike run a little lean and uneven with both the stock and stage 1 factory flash. For this reason, I swapped out the Zombies for the 2-1/2" louvered baffles. If we remove the cat Alonso, we basically are running a straight through system that was factory tuned for a lot of back pressure. We still don't have a tuner or permission from Polaris to remap using their software. So right now, I see zero reason to get a mid pipe. As a side note, unlike the TS111 and all HD's, the Challenger has a weird sensor system that detects misfire and puts the ECM into limp mode. My guess based on remapping both my TS111 and my M8, is that the open exhausts which I have on both need a PV from Dynojet to get the bike running rich enough to reduce back fire ( not even eliminate it). Also, there is already a dip in the Challenger power curve going from 65 to 90 during passing with my stage 1 flash, high flow filter and Tab pipes. Something easily remedied on the dyno with a tuner. Then you have to ask, is the CAT- delete pipe going to be easier or harder to tune and will there be higher or lower dyno numbers with the midpipe. The more important factor is always driveability for a bagger not raw power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts