Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I just received and installed my backrest from Grasshopper. I was little nervous at first due to the massive savings over the OEM one. I took the chance due to the solid reviews on this forum and the massive difference in price. It was hard to accept the factory price of $650 cdn / $500 usd for it when I could pick it up for less than 100usd.

Any trepidation left when I unpacked it. No it is not leather, the vinyl matches nicely with my seat and the mounting is stupidly easy. Takes longer to remove the seat than it did to mount it.

First impressions, the build quality is solid. Especially for the price point. The ease of installation is super simple. Remove the seat, flip the seat, remove 4 bolts, set bracket on, replace bolts, install seat, install backrest into to bracket, ride.

I did find it quite plush and it had some give which was welcome. It is not adjustable but could be modded for different heights I am sure.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with this product, how easily it installed and how well it worked on a 200 mile ride. Worth the price for sure, especially compared to OEM.

Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey folks,

I just received and installed my backrest from Grasshopper. I was little nervous at first due to the massive savings over the OEM one. I took the chance due to the solid reviews on this forum and the massive difference in price. It was hard to accept the factory price of $650 cdn / $500 usd for it when I could pick it up for less than 100usd.

Any trepidation left when I unpacked it. No it is not leather, the vinyl matches nicely with my seat and the mounting is stupidly easy. Takes longer to remove the seat than it did to mount it.

First impressions, the build quality is solid. Especially for the price point. The ease of installation is super simple. Remove the seat, flip the seat, remove 4 bolts, set bracket on, replace bolts, install seat, install backrest into to bracket, ride.

I did find it quite plush and it had some give which was welcome. It is not adjustable but could be modded for different heights I am sure.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with this product, how easily it installed and how well it worked on a 200 mile ride. Worth the price for sure, especially compared to OEM.

Just my 2cents.
I also purchased this backrest and was very pleased especially with the price and quality was great too!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No studs on mine but the quality is there for sure.

Sent from my STV100-5 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
475 Posts
The ease of installation is super simple. Remove the seat, flip the seat, remove 4 bolts, set bracket on, replace bolts, install seat, install backrest into to bracket, ride.
Anybody tried it with the Indian bracket?

I have a tan Indian backrest with my touring seat, and am considering a black one for the solo seat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bracket with this one bolts to the seat and not the frame. It bolts right to where the passenger seat bolts onto the riders seat. I could see it actually working with the Indian one in place and it would sit just above it. Would have to test of course (I can't or I would) but I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey folks,

Just my 2cents.
Hey folks,

Just my 2cents.
F.Y.I. I have over 13,000 miles on my Grasshopper driver back rest. The bracket support and pad are still as good as the day I installed it!
DP

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey folks,

Just my 2cents.
I was a little hesitant at first- no adjustment. Luckily it fits really good. I like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey folks,

Just my 2cents.
Thank you for this review - very timely. Am aspiring to be a Vintage 2021 owner and was just having a small heart attack looking at the OEM backrest and Pillion back rest prices .... :oops: Glad to know that the Grasshopper is decent quality

·
Registered
246 Posts
+ 1 on the Grasshopper back rest. I got one for my 2020 Challenger but haven't put it on yet. I was very pleased with one I bought for my Harley RG. I did have a problem on the Harley cause the backrest angled waaay back--was only making contact at the bottom of my back. But, found out from my neighbor who put one on his Harley Road King with the HD extended seat that the folks at Grasshopper told him that, for the extended reach seat, to put the mounting bracket on backwards. I had never heard that and had put mine on my RG in accordance with the instruction sheet. But...., I also had the extended reach seat on my Harley so I turned the mounting bracket around and, PERFECT!

And before I test rode a Challenger I figured I would need the extended reach seat for the Challenger. My Harley with the stock seat had me too far forward, felt like my nuts were on the tank, hard to reach shift and brake levers but the HD extended seat moved me back enough that it solved the problems. After a Challenger test ride I determined I wouldn't need the extended reach seat and that's good cause the Grasshopper info says, for the Indian Challenger, their backrest won't fit the Challenger with an extended reach seat. Happy and contented!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts