Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Grasshopper driver backrest on your Roadmaster? How about your thoughts?

Raz

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did not want to spend the $$$ for the Indian backrest so ...
After reading many great reviews here, I ordered the grasshopper for my 2018 Roadmaster.
After mounting it ... I was a bit disappointed. The grasshopper just did not offer the support for my lower back that I needed and since it is non-adjustable I simply could not use it and ended up returning it.

I went ahead and spent the big $ for the Indian backrest and I could not be happier with it (other than the ridiculous price).

There are many on the forum that swear by the grasshopper but, it just did not work for me.

just my .02

Reactions: Raz

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got one last month, for the price you cant go wrong. If you have back issues and need support to ride, the grass hopper wont work for you. Its non adjustable so that takes away from it. I have a Yutopia backrest from my Vulcan that's fully adjustable, I might try and see if it will fit in the Grass hopper frame.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a Grasshopper on my VTX1300R that worked great for about 5 years until Saddleman gave me a Road Sofa Gel Seat w/backrest for using my Honda as a model for their sales brochures(nice gift value of $650)... I now have a Grasshopper specifically for my 2018 Chieftain Limited. It works just fine...because I don't have a sissy bar/luggage rack, my travel bag sits on my passenger seat and it is hooked to a "Happy Hooker" under the seat; however, it tends to slide back so having the Grasshopper backrest also gives me something to secure my travel bag to in addition to giving me some long distance comfort. I have manipulated the metal bar that slides down into the seat so that it leans back just a tad more than how it came (a good counter vice works for that... ;))...but it may not fit all riders...I enjoyed the savings and it works for me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a grasshopper on my 15 RM, No Complaints.
i bent the bracket to were it works best for me.
I would love to have a Indian backrest but almost $600.00 is nuts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought one based on recommendations from this site and it has been great. They offer a 30 day return I believe so its worth trying out. Its a 5 minute install. the only thing is that its a fixed unit so it does not bend forward or back. Its position is good for me so no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts