Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just mounted my new grasshopper drivers backrest and I am very disappointed.

I ordered the grasshopper backrest based on reviews on this board and the price.
But, now I feel like I may have wasted an extra $100.

My disappointment lies in the fact that there is NO back support unless I lean back.
And I mean REALLY far back - to the point that my hands barely reach the grips.
I need the backrest to lean forward a bit (into the small of my back) in order to get the support I need .... unfortunately, this backrest is not adjustable.

I hope someone here might be able to change my mind but, right now it looks like I will be paying the ridiculous price Indian wants for their backrest ... .

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
German rider
636 Posts
I saw that the Back Rest is mounted on the plastics chassis of the seat - this can not take very much of force.
Therefore I chosed the Kyriakyn Back Rest, which has its own adjustable frame made of aluminium.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So my reaction is the opposite. I Just bought one and it feels like It pushes me too far forward. I am at the limits of the stock seat and could be a candidate for an extended reach (6'1" 250). I'm going to do a little bending to see if I can get it more comfortable.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I just mounted my new grasshopper drivers backrest and I am very disappointed.

I ordered the grasshopper backrest based on reviews on this board and the price.
But, now I feel like I may have wasted an extra $100.

My disappointment lies in the fact that there is NO back support unless I lean back.
And I mean REALLY far back - to the point that my hands barely reach the grips.
I need the backrest to lean forward a bit (into the small of my back) in order to get the support I need .... unfortunately, this backrest is not adjustable.

I hope someone here might be able to change my mind but, right now it looks like I will be paying the ridiculous price Indian wants for their backrest ... .
Can you bend the metal post? Is that even an option?

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,289 Posts
Utopia makes nice adjustable backrests and are less expensive than the Indian branded ones. Just saying as I had one on a 2012 Victory Cross Country. They might be worth a try.

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
I did bend the post slightly. Out of necessity. I have combat lumbar injury and titanium rods in my lower spine - needed the backrest kissing my back every time I go over rr tracks or hit a serious road bump, otherwise toe-curling &$!?! Electric pain shoots.

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
I did bend the post slightly. Out of necessity. I have combat lumbar injury and titanium rods in my lower spine - needed the backrest kissing my back every time I go over rr tracks or hit a serious road bump, otherwise toe-curling &$!?! Electric pain shoots.
Heat the post red hot. Use an 8-pound hammer. (

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
Spend the money and get a better backrest.
No need to ‘spend the money’ and have to mod the ‘better mousetrap. Aftermarket backrests are all fine and dandy but do NOT come with ‘prosthetic’ back-supporting FIT. btw, I shaved 3/8-inch off the bottom of post. Comfy cozy now. I’ll spend what I saved on cold beer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw that the Back Rest is mounted on the plastics chassis of the seat - this can not take very much of force.
Therefore I chosed the Kyriakyn Back Rest, which has its own adjustable frame made of aluminium.
It actually mounts to the frame in the same location as the stock grab strap.
The mount is plenty strong. The only problem is that the backrest is in the wrong position and cannot be adjusted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did think about trying to bend it but, in the end decided that was a "work around" not a long term solution.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spend the money and get a better backrest.
I do have a $250 Indian gift card so, that is what I will do ... put it toward the OEM backrest.
I just thought I'd try to save some $. And all the reviews I've read here were very positive.
Lesson learned (again) -- "Buy cheap - Buy twice".
Buy Indian pay twice as much ......

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
I do have a $250 Indian gift card so, that is what I will do ... put it toward the OEM backrest.
I just thought I'd try to save some $. And all the reviews I've read here were very positive.
Lesson learned (again) -- "Buy cheap - Buy twice".
Buy Indian pay twice as much ......

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
Katz-
fwiw you can tweak the oem’s forward lean closer to your back. Glue a dime-or-nickel-thick piece of metal
(Not aluminum) between the b/rest bracket and tip of adjustable contact for extra “forward” fit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have a Grasshopper backrest that pushes me forward. Not sure if the seat on my Vintage is an extended reach seat. The person I bought it from is taller than me by a few inches. But he never said anything about changing the seat, and I never thought to ask. I was wondering if that could be why it pushes into my back. I will modify it this winter for a better fit for me. I can spend the time to get the proper fit, in exchange for the extra money Indian wants for the OEM unit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts