Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I buy the GPS option for my base Challenger? I have a friend who has a Harley ultra glide with a GPS that is total crap. My experience on my previous bike has been using my phone using Google maps. Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Personally I don't like using my phone. There have been too many times I have been out of cell service and my phone wont load my map. I prefer using my Garman for that reason. That and if it would happen to fall out of the holder while going down the road, I wouldn't feel as bad. I use it on my low end bike, the RM has the Ride Command which is OK.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My experience has been good on the GPS that came with my Harley. Out here there are many areas without cell service. Having a separate GPS keeps from running the cell phone down.

I bought the Sena 20S evo for use with the Chief Vintage and will try using it with my cell phone for directions. If I'm not satisfied with that I plan to install a Garmin on the Vintage.

·
Bronze member
2,050 Posts
I prefer using my TomTom Rider over my phone. My wife just picked up Chieftain with Ride Command so I’ll have to see how it measures up to my trusty TomTom.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've used the GPS each time I've ridden and it seems to function very well. When gas is low it prompts me to choose the nearest gas stations. I would say it works as well as my Garmin on my other ride. There aren't any directions on how to use it, but you really don't need any. I've set up rides on my computer and they transferred into my Ride Command app, and then to the bike. Like most GPS it makes me put in too many waypoints to get my route right, but it works. The traffic and weather overlays are also nice and they are free for two years. No one seems to know what happens after two years though.
On the other hand, Apple Car Play may be coming to the Ride Command sometime. The directions that came with the Garage Door Opener Kit shows on page six how to add the Homelink Widget, and you can see an Apple Car Play Widget. I'm not sure how they will get people to pay for the weather/traffic service later, but as already mentioned, cell phones loose reception in some of the areas I ride, but my GPS has never lost it's satellite.

·
German Rider
1,732 Posts
...I have a friend who has a Harley ultra glide with a GPS that is total crap......
Think about, maybe you find the mistake. Little hint "Harley"?! ;) :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Better have one than none. ANY GPS is better than none. I bought my Roadmaster because of the GPS - beside other reasons to buy...

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use mine all the time. Easy to read. Talks to me. Huge screen for my aging eyes. I have a Garmin Zumo ive used in my last 2 bikes and I have trouble seeing it, and I have to disconnect e t it everytime I stop to eat or shop. That was one of the major selling points I. Getting a new Indian. I was looking at a 2019 Cheiftain LTD with a stage 3 kit or the Challenger. I bought cfc the Challenger. I liked the power (couldn't a totally test ride a fully modified Chieftain) and I prefer the angle of the Ride Command o. The Challenger. More angled.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
RC works better than Siri/Apple maps but not as good as google. Plus the weather overlay is a nice feature

Reactions: Mustang01
1 - 9 of 9 Posts