Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use my phone on my Dark horse, that is one of the reasons I went with this as opposed to a model with a faring, stereo and all the bells and whistles, even in my car I never use their GPS setup and go with my phone instead.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Phone. Google Maps (and several other apps) have nav with more functions than "factory" systems, with free updates. Do the newer Ride Command bikes support Android Auto?

·
Rider
417 Posts
The only thing to watch out for using your phone is the vibration from being mounted on your handlebars can screw up your phones camera. It can trash the auto focus.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,656 Posts
Did they replace that unit with something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing with XM radio anymore.
You can still find the 665s on EBay, etc. However there's no Garmin support for them anymore, either.
It's a shame because it is a damn good unit and I love my XM radio...

·
Bronze member
1,423 Posts
I have used the motorcycle specific TomTom units since the Rider was introduced. I’m using the Rider 550 now and I couldn’t be happier.

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
Phone.
  • Top 1/3 of screen for GPS speed (app GPS Speedometer Pro from Cool Niks)B
  • Bottom2/3 of screen for GPS navigation (Google Maps with live traffic)
Screenshot_20171024-095500.png
Screenshot_20190426-152222.png

·
Rider
798 Posts
Good on you. There aren't many of us left that can even read a map :rolleyes:
I'm an avid outdoors man. I read topo maps as well.

Plus I've always loved maps as a kid. Had a pretty cool collection of old maps and maps pulled out of NatGeo rags.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,843 Posts
I have been using the Garmin Zumo 595LM. It has been a love/hate relationship with it. The Basecamp program is more of a pain to learn than the older Mapsource but you can learn it. I got the 595 because it bluetooths off of my phone so I can have radar maps showing any weather on my route but that only works when you have a good signal to the phone. Also the bluetooth fights between the Zumo and the bike. The Zumo wants to channel everything thru it and when doing this with the music the quality of the music is pretty poor. Works great for nav mode and directions thru the bike. I got the DaveTpilot adapter harness and that works good but I thought I would run by MP3s thru the Zumo into the adapter. It works but again the quality of the music is not good. I would recommend the cheaper Zumo that is available and skip the 595 just because of the bluetooth. The Zumo is expensive but the best I have seen for bikes since it was designed for them. You can do custom routes that takes you on all the great back roads that you want to ride. Dean

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still a fan of furkot route planning .... and downloading to ride command. Yes, Furkot no longer is using yahoo maps, but I still am able to manipulate the route to my liking ... just takes a bit more time and patience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts