Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my bike, my GPS map scale is at 500 feet per bracket. I like it set at the second 2000 feet setting. If I zoom out and then shut the bike off, it goes back to 500 feet scale. Is there a way for you to make the gps remember your setting? I tried another bike at the dealer when I was there and it did the same as mine...

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Challenger navigation program is low quality at best and very disappointing. I seldom use it and reverted back to my phone. Now that we are able to use Car Play I'm pleased but still aggravated that I spent $500 on the Indian program. It's my fault for not doing the research but then again why introduce a low quality program into a 2020 vehicle when today's technology is so advanced..??

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Fly a little closer to the ground?

Reactions: 120496

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Challenger navigation program is low quality at best and very disappointing. I seldom use it and reverted back to my phone. Now that we are able to use Car Play I'm pleased but still aggravated that I spent $500 on the Indian program. It's my fault for not doing the research but then again why introduce a low quality program into a 2020 vehicle when today's technology is so advanced..??
If you think Ride Command is low quality, you should hear the Gold Wing guys complain about the new GoldWing GPS. They are screaming!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you think Ride Command is low quality, you should hear the Gold Wing guys complain about the new GoldWing GPS. They are screaming!!!
Really....that bad..?? Again, I don't understand why..... unless the majority of the technology is copyright / patent protected.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Not sure why Indian/HD doesn't partner up with a leader like Garmin (there are others). They employ Dunlop and Metzler tires after all...

·
Bronze member
3,124 Posts
Or, hook up with a Harley guy and watch him stumble thru their Infotainment Center Nav. The screen looks like it’s from a computer two decades ago.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have Nav on my Harley and never use it, I just use my phone. I'm hoping the one for Indian is much better. Gets installed on Saturday and only went with it because I basically got it and installation for free.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
You'll still be using your phone......trust me.
I've only used it a half a dozen times so far but I find it seems to work well. Looking up POI's can be annoying but it seems to navigate well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've only used it a half a dozen times so far but I find it seems to work well. Looking up POI's can be annoying but it seems to navigate well.
TechRider...this is my beef....navigating after you type in the destination is adequate BUT.....if you are traveling down the road and turn on your navigation screen you are just following a green line - NO identification of what road you're on or what road is coming up....just more green lines...NOTHING but green lines. 🤡

Most other systems will let you know what road or highway you are on or what crossroad is coming up while just being in the MAP mode. The only time this system notifies you of where you're at is when you have to make a turn on your way to a predetermined destination. So....when I'm out in the middle of no-where South Dakota I can't even check the map to see where I'm at without typing in a destination. This has been my complaint with this system

Now with the Car Play option I'm fine....(using my phone).....but I still paid the $500 plus installation for nothing. I should have kept using my Garmin like I did with my HD, but I thought it would be nice having it built into the bike especially since it's a 2020 model. So, is it my fault for not researching this or their fault for selling me a crappy navigation system..?? :unsure: Live and learn, I feel it's the least I can do is to warn another potential buyer that they should save their money when it comes to the 2020 Indian Challenger Navigation System.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
That makes sense then. I don't tend to look at it more than this road goes this direction if I'm somewhere I don't know. Over the years, I've been trying to train myself to listen to my GPS more than look at it while driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I for one like the Carplay features but I have a 2019 Chieftain Limited. This might be a silly question and probably would be extremely expensive just for that feature. Would it be possible to replace the 2019 Ride Command system with the 2020 system? Just curious. Like I said if it is possible it probably wouldn't make sense money wise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I start my bike, my GPS map scale is at 500 feet per bracket. I like it set at the second 2000 feet setting. If I zoom out and then shut the bike off, it goes back to 500 feet scale. Is there a way for you to make the gps remember your setting? I tried another bike at the dealer when I was there and it did the same as mine...
I find this annoying as well. However, I have learned to use the little scroll up and down button next to the audio control knob to zoom out to my desired setting. A little obnoxious, but far easier than trying to do it on the screen, especially while moving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Really....that bad..?? Again, I don't understand why..... unless the majority of the technology is copyright / patent protected.
I'm sure this is the issue. It would be nice if they could just incorporate Google maps and get it over with. But the license fees to use it on a product are probably outrageous. They must not have felt the added cost would be worth it when they already have a bunch of R&D into their own product. I hated the ride command at first, but I'm getting used to its quirks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts