Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just got my new Chieftain and would like to hook up a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS. What is the best way to find a switched 12v power source? Looking for a wire somewhere easy to reach to spline my GPS power cable into.
Has anyone done that on their bike?
Thanks for any advice.
Franz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remove the front fairing is a marked switched plug, you get power from there, it's on a timer so it will stay hot for about 2 minutes after the power is turned off

·
Registered
355 Posts
I mounted my Garmin to the handlebar and the power cord goes directly into the cigarette socket behind it. Se photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice, that's exactly what I am looking for. I will give it a trey to remove the fairing to find the plug.
Have a great 4th of July.
Franz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about that idea too. Thank you for your input.
Franz

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi ArmyVoyager
Posted a similar thread today. Assume you soldered the Garmin red and black power wires into a cigarette lighter connector ? Glad this works as it will save a lot of hassle.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,081 Posts
When I did ours on the road master I unplugged the cig. lighter and made a Y style jumper wire then plugged it back in now I can use the cig. for charging, and I have GPS plugged in.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Remove the front fairing is a marked switched plug, you get power from there, it's on a timer so it will stay hot for about 2 minutes after the power is turned off
I have my fairing apart at the moment and have not seen the marked switched plug. How is it marked?

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,780 Posts
GM weatherpack on Ebay
I could have ordered one, but wanted to finish this today. I went to a local NAPA and found a two wire connector, so I just spliced a whole new deal in. I can still unplug it in the future and I used a common, generic plug set up, so if I need to change it for any reason, I won't be constantly trimming the bike wire back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GM weatherpack on Ebay
I know this information is two years after the fact, but the switched power source connection is actually a GM Delphi "Metri Pack", not Weatherpack! At least it is so for my 2014 Chieftain. The difference is that Weatherpack uses tubular male and female connectors, whereas Metri Pack uses a flat male blade and female spring type connection. I know this because I ordered some Weatherpack connectors to tap into the switched power source in the fairing, and then found they didn't match up to the switched power connection. Further research led me to the Metri Pack connectors, which can also be acquired on eBay!

I hope this helps somebody doing connection research and following this old thread!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts