Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to women, men are notorious for being too stubborn to stop and ask for directions when they are lost or can not find a desired address. Personally this has never happened to me, although I have had to change my destination a few times to match the route I was on. When I was younger my buddies & I would take turns flipping a coin to see what direction we were going to go, but that (along with several other things) has become a thing of the past.

Anyway, over the last few years I have ridden my bike through 49 states, all of the Canadian Provinces except one, and three Mexican states. All of this was accomplished by watching road signs and occassionally looking at a well worn atlas. Now it seems like everyone has some type of GPS mounted on their bike and I am wondering if they are really a big help or a distraction while going down the road. I know that in my cage I tend to play with the GPS while I am driving and sometimes am not paying full attention to the road. Any comments?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple of advantages to the GPS: you have the ability to find help, fuel, food, etc. from wherever you are and it keeps track of where you've been.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the gps will update the route if you miss a turn so you are never going the wrong way just a different one so she cant nag you about getting lost. Your not lost your just taking the scenic route.

I too like to use it for close gas or food, especially if you have a prefered station to use.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have my phone mounted on my bike and setup so that it ignores calls and text messages when I am riding. I use Google Nav for navigation, but the only thing it lacks is the ability to download a preset route

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For many years of riding, getting lost was a bonus. (still is) I took of in a direction and just wandered the back-roads. I found a whole bunch of stuff that ain't found on a map anymore.
Then we'd use a large map and darts, to head somewhere. Write down the roads and turns we had to make and see if we could make it. Was just as much fun.
Last year, I had a couple of road trips planned and had been hearing about the GPS route planners designed into the Garmin GPS. So I bought one. HELL I loved it! Was like having a tour guide that answered most of my questions. Who got gas, who cooks a good steak? Is there a hotel or camp ground near by?
Yesterday, was flying by GPS on the Harley and it sent me in the wrong direction a couple of times, then told me to turn around and go the other way. So I guess it needs to be plugged in and updated again. It still finds roads that I didn't even know were there and that part I really like! We have about 15000 miles logged into it now with both the bikes and the wifes car. Works great.
EASY

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used gps in the car and don't really like it. I feel like once I get to my destination I have no idea how I got there. On multiple occasions I've taken off on the bike, with nothing more than looking at a map before I left. If I get a little lost that's fine, I'll see what I can see. If I really need to figure out where I am and how to get to my destination I'll stop and ask a person or my cell phone for directions.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use all three. Before a trip I will plot a course using Yahoo maps, make reservations at hotels with restaraunts within walking distance. I usually will buy a DeLorme road atlas for the state that my destination is in and consult that for day rides. I also have a GPS in the trunk for emergencies that seldom gets used. If I plan on staying in one area for a few days or more I will spend hours looking at maps trying to familiarize myself with the area. Yahoo and Google maps are your friend. For me, planning is half the fun. I will occasssionally stop and ask for directions if I am really confused which usually only happens in large cities with poorly marked roadsways.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a GPS on all of my longer trips. I don't have time to be lost.
I can also use it for planned gas stops on IBA rides and track my time and mileage. I also use it to find motels.
I never use routes, just way-points. The most way-points I have used on one trip was 50.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ask me to drive to the other side of town and I'll make excuses to get out of it. Ask me to ride to the other side of the country with my GPS - heck yes! I figure you're never lost so long as there's gas in the tank. My favorite rides have been the result of detours or accidents. I spend winter plotting my summer trips on the GPS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I load my distant friends address in my gps. That way no matter from which direction I come in from I can always find the best route. I don't need it for the first 2000 miles but the last 20 it sure comes in handy

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm a major advocate of using a Garmin zümo motorcycle-specific GPS on 2 wheels, and have been doing so with great results for almost six years and over 90,000 miles. The Garmin mapping software allow you to program the GPS with a route that YOU plan. We've discovered some remarkable and exciting places using the GPS.
The "off" switch is great for days want to really get lost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts