Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just converted my UK licence to Australian and they won't convert full uk motorcycle to full motorcycle Australian

I'm now stuck with the RE lassification (ride up to 650 cc) so I take a steaming great shit on the AUS dvla

I could go and sit the test again but that would be sucking up to their butthole brains because I've been riding large bikes legally for years... it's a distinct insult to have to sit the test again

It seems that going from Oz to the UK and then back again means you lose your large bike part of your licence

So no Chieftain or roadmaster for me.
I hereby wish the dvla all the agony you could possibly imagine

·
Senior Member / gold
6,673 Posts
So you have a bike just sitting in the garage that you can't ride only because of bureaucratic red tape? While that sucks, just cool down, give it one more try, and if unsuccessful suck it up and jump through the hoops. That way you can get to riding and enjoying Australia.

·
Bronze member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, jumping through their hoops is not my way, that just validates their bullshit

I'd rather sell and move on then suckle at the beaurocratic treats of those vermin.

Power goes to the minds of simple minded useless waste of oxygen people.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
But in all seriousness, that sounds terrible, I hate dealing with government bureaucracy, and being in the military, I deal with plenty, contrary to my joke. I hope you are able to convince big brother you don't need training wheels.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You have my sympathies and I don't mean to turn this political, but this is exactly why we here in the States detest anything that comes remotely close to what we call a Nanny State. I don't need the government to babysit me. You hit the nail on the head: it's an insult.

·
Bronze member
1,381 Posts
Just converted my UK licence to Australian and they won't convert full uk motorcycle to full motorcycle Australian

I'm now stuck with the RE lassification (ride up to 650 cc) so I take a steaming great shit on the AUS dvla

I could go and sit the test again but that would be sucking up to their butthole brains because I've been riding large bikes legally for years... it's a distinct insult to have to sit the test again

It seems that going from Oz to the UK and then back again means you lose your large bike part of your licence

So no Chieftain or roadmaster for me.
I hereby wish the dvla all the agony you could possibly imagine
How do they handle learner's permits?

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,318 Posts
While this Size in CC Option may have some validated points, sure sounds like a PITA and in some cases a Waste of Money .. I have a feeling this come about when some of the Japanese Power Bikes came out in the Early 70's and some kids were killing themselves on them in the first month ..

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It’s always all about A way for them to bring in more money .....

·
Bronze member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you get the permit... you have to do a minimum of 50 hours supervised riding or driving... you have to wait 6 months then you do a hazard perception test then you go out with the tester on a bike and do the full test

I did all that many years ago when i moved from the "up to 250 cc" category to unrestricted
They have expanded that initial category to up to 650 cc now.

It just makes me pissed off because only about 4 weeks before i left england i was riding around on a vulcan 2000 and a harley freewheeler that I had hired (not at the same time. ).
Then i arrive here and i can't ride either of them anymore if I wanted to.

You only get three months to convert your uk licence to oz - i could've ridden for a little longer here, but this mess would have still got me.

There IS one small hope - they said if uk dvla will write a letter on their official headed paper confirming my unrestricted level they (oz) wil "reconsider". I don't hold out much hope, since when has any of these govr depts gone out of their way to help someone? but you never know, doesn't hurt to ask them.

·
Silver member
3,130 Posts
Morphy; I left NY State for Florida when I was 19 years old, and had the MC designation on my NY license (had taken the tests along with the rest of the BS). After about 6 months of being in Florida I traded in my NY license for the Fla license. Then, about 4 years later I returned home to NY and traded in my Fla license for a NY State license. When I got my NY license (again) there was no MC designation on my new NY license, and I didn't even notice it. This was 1974 or 1975. I didn't notice the lack of MC on my license for a few years. Anyways, a couple of years later I bought a '74 Super Glide and rode the he!! out'a it. Then in the early '80s I bought a '78 FLH and rode that for several years. Sold that about 1987 for $$ to build my house. Bought another FLH in the mid 1990s. I rode that and a few other bikes up until about 2010 or so, with no MC designation on my license. In 2010 I finally decided it was about time I got the MC designation on my license again LOL. So I took a NY State approved riders course, and was finally able to have the MC designation on my license again, after riding about 30 years without it.

I know well that it sux to kiss the gov'ment ass. But sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. And that's all I'll say :p :D

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Morphy; I left NY State for Florida when I was 19 years old, and had the MC designation on my NY license (had taken the tests along with the rest of the BS). After about 6 months of being in Florida I traded in my NY license for the Fla license. Then, about 4 years later I returned home to NY and traded in my Fla license for a NY State license. When I got my NY license (again) there was no MC designation on my new NY license, and I didn't even notice it. This was 1974 or 1975. I didn't notice the lack of MC on my license for a few years. Anyways, a couple of years later I bought a '74 Super Glide and rode the he!! out'a it. Then in the early '80s I bought a '78 FLH and rode that for several years. Sold that about 1987 for $$ to build my house. Bought another FLH in the mid 1990s. I rode that and a few other bikes up until about 2010 or so, with no MC designation on my license. In 2010 I finally decided it was about time I got the MC designation on my license again LOL. So I took a NY State approved riders course, and was finally able to have the MC designation on my license again, after riding about 30 years without it.

I know well that it sux to kiss the gov'ment ass. But sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. And that's all I'll say :p :D
Actually, now that you mention it, something kind of similar happened to me. I moved from Massachusetts to New Hampshire and got my license converted. When I was talking to the lady at the DMV, the fee to get my driver's licence switched over was something reasonable, like $25 or something, but to get the motorcycle endorsement switched over was absurd, like $200 or $300 or something like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You have my sympathies and I don't mean to turn this political, but this is exactly why we here in the States detest anything that comes remotely close to what we call a Nanny State. I don't need the government to babysit me. You hit the nail on the head: it's an insult.
Yea...but...

OP has my sympathies - governments and bureaucracy can really mess things up.

But on the 'nanny state' point, at my advancing years I don't need anyone to advise my what to ride. When I was a kid (in the UK) I had a Norton Commando 750 at 17, and a Kawasaki z900 at 19, which as that time was the fastest thing pennies could buy. I survived, as did 'most' of my mates - but in retrospect we were lucky as we had no training and just worked out how to ride the hard way with bent bikes, gravel-rash and the occasional broken bones in my little circle of friends. Kids nowadays have to jump through hoops to get a motorcycle licence and are restricted by licence level passed and age - not sure of the details currently. But for sure although folks still kill themselves on bikes (and I read in the local news a lad killed himself at the weekend) they're not crashing/injuring/killing themselves with such regularity as years ago when I started. I can't find stats for motorcycles alone on the net, but the UK now has less than 3 deaths per 100,000 drivers/riders, while the USA has just over 10 - so on stats alone you're 3 times more likely to be killed on a US road than a UK road. And we have plenty of (very) fast roads to hoon on (in Scotland at least) with little or no police presence. So while I'm past the 'getting my licence' phase years ago, if it was my kids starting out on a bike nowadays I'd rather have our regulation that has demonstrably made things safer.

Kind of thread drift - but not really...all to do with your perception of your lack of 'nanny state'. For example from my perspective I can't understand why 18 year olds can't drink alcohol in the states based on your 'nanny state'. At 16 in the UK kids can have beer, cider and wine in restaurants with meals if eating with a parent, and are free to buy/drink whatever that want in bars form 18...and from 5-18 they can drink what they like at home or on private premises. The consequence of your 'nanny state' laws is the we see American late teens and 20s coming over to europe (Ireland especially) and getting rat-arsed on 2 pints of guinness and a single whisky as they aren't used to it. And what's all this 'nanny state' stuff about after-market parts 'not for highway use'? I can fit anything I want to any of my cars or bikes and no-one bats an eyelid.

So everyone in every land is 'nannied' to some extent - the stuff you grow up with you typically accept as normal, and everything you're free to do but another country isn't seems undue 'interference'. But as it is, I think the UK licencing/age/engine size restrictions are pretty sensible when taken over the whole of the young riding community; and conversely I think it's restrictive and crazy you don't let 18 year-olds drink in bars (without having to fake IDs). It's such an embarrassment - we go to the US at least twice a year and my son (30) and daughter (28) still get IDd if we go to some restaurants and bars. And our kids can eat Kinder eggs; and we get proper bacon...

But yes, for the OP, the cock-up between UK and Australian licencing needs to get sorted.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you want to ride bigger bikes in Aus, apparently you need to take a road test. Big deal.
Read or reread his post to above yours sounds like it’s a lot more entailed than just taking another test. That’s ridiculous all they have to go through to move up to a bigger cc bike. Who has time for all that

·
Registered
321 Posts
That sucks. They probably got the registration and insurance laws locked up tight as a frogs ass too, so you can't skirt it.

Years ago, before they changed the insurance laws here in Pennsylvania, nobody I knew had an MC endorsement. You could get a plate with a permit, so once you had that, you were set. You could drop your insurance during the winter months so you weren't paying if you weren't riding. Every spring, we'd all go get our MC permits, buy insurance and ride all summer. Let the permit expire and park the bike for the winter. Then all the insurance companies got in bed with the politicians and it went to shit. Now you have to have the endorsement to register a bike, you're required to have an active insurance policy year round to get a plate, and if you drop your insurance at any time they take the plate back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts