Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was riding to the gym on Friday and a couple in a 2014 Grand Cherokee ran their stop sign and knocked my Chieftain down on it's left side. I am mostly fine just have a broken right ankle and a sprained thumb and the bike rested on the front and rear highway bars but I need to figure out where you take an Indian for collision repair. The dealerships are all closed on Mondays. Is an Indian dealership the only or best option or would you take your bike somewhere else? I am in the Denver metro area if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

·
Rider
1,830 Posts
Wow glad your ok. You can take it to the dealership for an estimate which will be higher or to a body shop. Dealers will most likely replace parts unless they have a body shop to send the bike to. A body shop will repair and or replace. How’s the engine?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't imagine the engine got too messed up because of the condition my body is in and the fact that the bike came down on the highway bars but I don't know for sure. I got helped to a seat on a patio at a nearby restaurant where I spoke with PD, the EMT's and the tow co and never got closer than 35' to the bike. Today I had my 16 yr old drive me to the tow company and they said I couldn't retrieve stuff from the saddlebags without giving them the claim number so I still haven't seen it up close.

·
Administrator
20,554 Posts
Dang, dude! I’m also in the Denver metro if you need anything. In terms of collision repair, the only two I know of are my dealership (Indian of Denver or Grand Prix on County Line). I do not know of any “alt repair” places for Indians. PM me if you need help with logistics (rides etc)

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
Sorry to hear that you and your bike got messed up, glad it wasn't worse. Get well soon.

·
Silver member
5,305 Posts
Sounds like you need to invite Hink over and buy some stogies and start takin' her apart. It is all just cosmetic damage?

Glad you are okay!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you and the bike are ok. I live in the hills west of Denver and rarely take any of the bikes to the city.

Wish I could point you to a decent repair facility, but I haven't had the need for repairs. I typically go to Grand Prix simply because its most convenient, plus one of the sales guys is the son of my former boss.

Good luck with the repairs and hope to see you riding up in the mountains sometime.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,048 Posts
You're lucky it wasn't worse for you. A high school classmate lost a leg from getting T-boned on his Harley years ago. Hope you get your bike fixed quickly and you get back on the road soon.

·
Bronze member
1,893 Posts
My friend is the head of adjusters for a Boston regional insurance company. Motorcycles make so few claims and so inherently dangerous that the insurance company won't take risks. You will get all new parts, and if there is a scratch on the frame, a new frame. They will pay for any damaged protective gear as well. You should be making claims to the other guys policy. It works out better. You can even push for a rental, why not? The adjusters don't know bikes so they go along with the dealerships recommendations. Most of bike damage is visible also.

·
Rider
1,212 Posts
Pay for your towing and take your bike home. Your insurance will look at it there. They can't keep you from collecting your stuff (but you may have to pay the outstanding bill first)

If the tow company knows you have insurance, the storage bill is racking up.

(p.s. I own a tow company)

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
1,893 Posts
Sometimes letting the storage bill rack up is a good thing, it can motivate the insurance company to move quicker and can also be the tipping point to a total loss if that's what you want.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Wish I could help with Denver area recommendations, my only experience was renting a Road King there..:cautious:
Did you already contact LawTigers?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to call Indian of Denver today and unless they tell me something I really don't like the bike will probably end up there. My wife's friend is a paralegal who has been working these type of cases for 20 years so that has been really helpful, but like Masspatriot said, most of her and experience is in dealing with auto not motorcycle claims. So much going on now, wife is making comments about "it's time to sell the bike" and sadder I had bought my 16 yr. old a Honda Grom which he rode for a few months and recently sold to buy a car and then yesterday said "you know I can buy a lot nicer used motorcycle than a used car for $3K" which my wife has already shutdown.

P.S. HINK, sorry for posting in 2 forums, I was just hoping to get some quick advice as all of this is time-sensitive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also check out G-Force Power sports. This is where I take my Scout to get its maintenance. Glad you're alright!

7700 W Colfax Ave, Lakewood, CO 80214

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
I'm no help on repair areas, but I do want to wish you a quick recovery. Hope the Indian gets fixed soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey all, I wanted to let you know that I am recovering well. Unfortunately, I still do not know if the bike will be a total loss or if they will repair it. After waiting to be towed for a few days, it took Indian of Denver the better part of a week to do the repair estimate and I am still waiting on some direction from State Farm and or the other party's insurance Fred Loya who seem more concerned with trying to pin liability on me and minimizing their expense.

My questions is this. If it is a repair, and they have written up replacement of fairing and fender trim as well as numerous fender welding charges would it be easy to change the look of the bike from a Chieftain Classic (2015) to a more modern look with the new-style fairing and fenders and possibly even the saddlebags (although one bag including the two hinges and lid at OEM pricing is close to $1479.96 and I don't think I would pay another $1479 out of my pocket for the matching bag)?.

Also, if one of the dual exhaust pipes was crushed wouldn't it be relatively straightforward to just replace both duals with a 2-1 system?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts