Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the kind UPS man brought me my new OEM Fairing, which I've been awaiting for some time in Brilliant Blue. I went ahead and put on the 5" mid-rise windshield to go with it. For reference when you look at the pics, I have the reduced-reach handlebars.

Only two pics for now.... It was getting dark when I got done and I was anxious to go for a ride, then when I got home my garage was too dimly lit to take any more tonight. Please ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer!

First, observations on fit and finish:

The fairing is made out of thick material, I think it's aluminum. Nice and sturdy, you're not going to bend it and crack the paint by mistake when installing it. Paint color was a perfect match. The entire fairing (both sides) is body color. The cutout for the headlight doesn't align perfectly, my headlight looks to be about 1/4" low in the hole, but that's not a big issue. The "gasket" that goes around the headlight is floppy and a bit difficult to install. I'm also not sure if it's entirely necessary (I'm thinking that a gap there for air to flow through might prevent turbulence, that's an experiment for later).

My biggest disapointment was that my Leatherworks tool bag was just about 1/2" too wide to fit between the supports for the fairing, so I had to adjust it's mounting. Later on I might get her to make me a bag that's an inch or two narrower.

Second, observations after a brief ride:

I went for a brief ride at speeds around 55 mph and everything felt good. With the 5" windshield, the wind hits me a couple inches above where it did with my Marlin flyscreen. Not sure if that's good or bad. It hits me about neck level which means I feel less pressure on my chest, but it's a bit more noisy of a ride. Even with the RR bars on and the mismatch in alignment between fairing and handlebars, I do feel some reduction in wind hitting my hands, which is also good. At 55 mph I didn't experience any buffeting or turbulence, the airflow felt good to me. Saturday I'll be going on a 200 mile ride at interstate speeds so I'll have more to report then.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Nice, sure wish they had them back in 2014, I could have saved a bunch of money going through what was available then.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Today the kind UPS man brought me my new OEM Fairing, which I've been awaiting for some time in Brilliant Blue. I went ahead and put on the 5" mid-rise windshield to go with it. For reference when you look at the pics, I have the reduced-reach handlebars.

Only two pics for now.... It was getting dark when I got done and I was anxious to go for a ride, then when I got home my garage was too dimly lit to take any more tonight. Please ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer!

The fairing is made out of thick material, I think it's aluminum. Nice and sturdy, you're not going to bend it and crack the paint by mistake when installing it. Paint color was a perfect match. The entire fairing (both sides) is body color. The cutout for the headlight doesn't align perfectly, my headlight looks to be about 1/4" low in the hole, but that's not a big issue. The "gasket" that goes around the headlight is floppy and a bit difficult to install. I'm also not sure if it's entirely necessary (I'm thinking that a gap there for air to flow through might prevent turbulence, that's an experiment for later).

My biggest disapointment was that my Leatherworks tool bag was just about 1/2" too wide to fit between the supports for the fairing, so I had to adjust it's mounting. Later on I might get her to make me a bag that's an inch or two narrower.

I went for a brief ride at speeds around 55 mph and everything felt good. With the 5" windshield, the wind hits me a couple inches above where it did with my Marlin flyscreen. Not sure if that's good or bad. It hits me about neck level which means I feel less pressure on my chest, but it's a bit more noisy of a ride. Even with the RR bars on and the mismatch in alignment between fairing and handlebars, I do feel some reduction in wind hitting my hands, which is also good. At 55 mph I didn't experience any buffeting or turbulence, the airflow felt good to me. Saturday I'll be going on a 200 mile ride at interstate speeds so I'll have more to report then.

Nice! How tall are you? I only ask because it seems to have some bearing on the whole discussion of windshield/windscreens/fairings.

Looks great and I hope it gives you what you’re looking for!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. What are those grip covers... over the OEM oversized grips?
I have the OEM oversized grips, with grip/lever wraps from Marcus at IndianAftermarket. He made the wraps slightly larger for me to go around the oversized grips and they work great!

Nice! How tall are you? I only ask because it seems to have some bearing on the whole discussion of windshield/windscreens/fairings.

Looks great and I hope it gives you what you’re looking for!
I am 5'11 with long legs and short arms.

·
Registered
312 Posts
How did you get this?!? I have same bike and the brilliant blue fairing has not been available on the website. How do I get this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How did you get this?!? I have same bike and the brilliant blue fairing has not been available on the website. How do I get this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have been waiting since October for it. It was briefly in-stock around Halloween, but by the time I could make up my mind to purchase, they were already sold out. I clicked "email me when available", and I happened to be sitting right at my desk last week when the email came through so I ordered it immediately. TheBlueGrassLady on here reported that she went to the dealer and ordered hers and somehow that bumped it up in the queue and she got it quicker.

The box my fairing was in had labels where a coating vendor in Canada had shipped it to Polaris, and then Polaris sent it in the same box to me, so maybe there are supply chain issues.

·
Bronze member
1,895 Posts

ALUMINUM FAIRING?

Fairings are normally made of ABS plastic or Fiberglass, at times various composites (kevlar, carbon fiber, etc).
An aluminum fairing would be quite a rarity.
Moto Guzzi had a V8 racer with a aluminum fairing that even covered the front wheel for better aerodynamics. But the FIM didn't allow MG to keep sanctioned racing due to various factors, including that fairing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would have expected ABS (and maybe it's just super thick) but the fairing is stiffer and heavier than I'd imagine an ABS fairing to be. In all my handling of it I didn't notice it bending at all. You have to push pretty hard to get it snapped onto the forks and I was afraid I'd crack the paint, but as I said, it's very stiff. The finish on the backside is also pristine and the entire fairing assembly weighs 15 lbs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have been waiting since October for it. It was briefly in-stock around Halloween, but by the time I could make up my mind to purchase, they were already sold out. I clicked "email me when available", and I happened to be sitting right at my desk last week when the email came through so I ordered it immediately. TheBlueGrassLady on here reported that she went to the dealer and ordered hers and somehow that bumped it up in the queue and she got it quicker.

The box my fairing was in had labels where a coating vendor in Canada had shipped it to Polaris, and then Polaris sent it in the same box to me, so maybe there are supply chain issues.
I just called Indian customer service. They said that brilliant blue is a color that they will never stock - too low volume. It needs to be special ordered at the dealer, then goes on back order as Indian/Polaris needs to send a fairing out to be painted (explains the packaging you noted). So I have to go through a dealer and at this point I will just wait until there is a coupon available. I have to say, Harley Davidson does a much better job with parts and accessories than Indian in my experience

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just called Indian customer service. They said that brilliant blue is a color that they will never stock - too low volume. It needs to be special ordered at the dealer, then goes on back order as Indian/Polaris needs to send a fairing out to be painted (explains the packaging you noted). So I have to go through a dealer and at this point I will just wait until there is a coupon available. I have to say, Harley Davidson does a much better job with parts and accessories than Indian in my experience
I really think it's a case of right hand not knowing what the left is doing. Brilliant Blue has been in-stock twice online, because I've got the email twice. Once in October (my missed opportunity), and in January this year. Obviously it was truly in-stock since I got it within a couple days of ordering. It is showing again currently as coming January 2020, so maybe if you watch closely and sign up for the e-mail notifications you'll get your chance.

Right now about 70% of the colors are showing as in-stock. I don't buy that line about Brilliant Blue being low-volume, since they ran that color for several years and the fairings they've had have sold instantly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks good!!! one of my favorite Scout color combos.
i'm not much of a fairing guy ... but I have to say that looks nice .
Really fits the bike like it was designed to ...good luck with your ride and keep the rubber side down

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have about 400 miles now behind my fairing and I'm 5'8 with a corbin solo seat and reduced reach handlebars/indian floorboards. I have complete dead space in air movement/resistance from my waist up to my neck, and the airflow over the windshield mostly comes in somewhere around eye level and goes over the top of my shoulders from the fairing. The 2" windshield was ok for me as far as buffeting, but the air was deflecting from around the mouth area of my helmet down into my upper chest and neck whereas the 5" i have now raises it enough that the airflow is more eye level and dissipates or flows uniformly around my helmet/head. I'm very happy with it and i think it is very well designed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have about 400 miles now behind my fairing and I'm 5'8 with a corbin solo seat and reduced reach handlebars/indian floorboards. I have complete dead space in air movement/resistance from my waist up to my neck, and the airflow over the windshield mostly comes in somewhere around eye level and goes over the top of my shoulders from the fairing. The 2" windshield was ok for me as far as buffeting, but the air was deflecting from around the mouth area of my helmet down into my upper chest and neck whereas the 5" i have now raises it enough that the airflow is more eye level and dissipates or flows uniformly around my helmet/head. I'm very happy with it and i think it is very well designed.
Excellent commentary, dfresh! Thanks for that evaluation.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have about 400 miles now behind my fairing and....
Thanks dfresh, I'm a few inches taller than you but the Corbin seat probably puts you in the same position as me on the stock seat. My experience is identical to yours.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ALUMINUM FAIRING?

Fairings are normally made of ABS plastic or Fiberglass, at times various composites (kevlar, carbon fiber, etc).
An aluminum fairing would be quite a rarity.
Moto Guzzi had a V8 racer with a aluminum fairing that even covered the front wheel for better aerodynamics. But the FIM didn't allow MG to keep sanctioned racing due to various factors, including that fairing.
Agreed, I will be very suprisred if the fairing is aluminum. Doesn't seem to fall in line with what Polaris does. Looks good

1 - 20 of 33 Posts