Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founding member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My highbeam light started flashing on the dash. Stopped and picked up a new bulb, only to discover this when I got home to change the bulb...
IMG_20190805_180010053.jpg

Another trip to AutoZone for the connecter... Hope it wasn't a sign of something worse in my future. :eek:o_O:)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
What year bike? Looks like simple resistance build-up at the light connector spades, but I would also check to be sure there was not any problem at your VCM connector pins.

·
Founding member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my '14. I'll check the VCM, thanks Brother.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my ‘14 Chieftain and I replaced the headlight connector with a thicker, more heavy duty one. This was several years ago and I haven’t had any problems since.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Polaris has a known issue with headlight and running lights on the 2014s. They are still working out the fix, but recommend you at least log your problems with your dealership so that they can keep you informed.
VCM pins for front lighting and wiring harness are often affected. Headlights can fail at any random time and leave you with an unsafe situation.
Be very careful especially if planning any night or dusk riding... Just in case.

·
Founding member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@dieselgman my VCM went out at 42k miles and they replaced it under warranty with a 2016... Checked and the pins look ok now, but do you think it's something with the '14 VCM or the '14 wiring?

·
Bronze member
2,229 Posts
@dieselgman my VCM went out at 42k miles and they replaced it under warranty with a 2016... Checked and the pins look ok now, but do you think it's something with the '14 VCM or the '14 wiring?
Are you running a stock wattage bulb? or something higher? or an LED bulb?

Reactions: ForPop

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If you already have the 16VCM then you should be OK. However, check with the dealer because it could also involve your harness. I think they upgraded the wire gauge (at least the connector pin) on the newer wiring harnesses and that seems to be where the problem lies with the early 2014s. In some cases those pins/connections were heating up and failing right at the VCM. That connector at your headlight bulb is a piece of cake, VCM and harness - nightmare stuff.

·
Bronze member
2,229 Posts
I'm running the XSE's or something like that. They are the highest brightness.
Well, if they draw higher wattage to get that higher brightness then that is the origin of your problem. The plastic H4 terminal holders will not take much higher heat than you get with 55 watts running through the terminals.

So, if that is the case, step1 is to look through the schematic and see if they are somehow using a relay system such that the higher wattage is not also running through your switchgear (the high beam switch) (due to the CANBUS stuff, etc.).

If the higher current is running through the switchgear it tends to burn out the switches prematurely.

If the bulbs only draw 55 or 60 watts on high beam then you did have excess corrosion build up on the terminal surfaces and that was the source of the high heat (as others have posted).

HTH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts