Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nice review, thanks.

Don't quite get the, ' Am I ready to trade my RoadGlide for it? No'

Brand loyalty cracks me up from anyone but paid employees and major stock holders.

Kg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4028 said:
Nice review, thanks. Don't quite get the, ' Am I ready to trade my RoadGlide for it? No' Brand loyalty cracks me up from anyone but paid employees and major stock holders. Kg
He did say that he would buy one as a second bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fellow is kinda nuts, I would trade in the road glide for a Indian for sure!
Better handling, power, less maintenance, and great looks. No brainer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4028 said:
Nice review, thanks.

Don't quite get the, ' Am I ready to trade my RoadGlide for it? No'

Brand loyalty cracks me up from anyone but paid employees and major stock holders.

Kg
He specifically said he likes the culture and comrade that HD has cultivated over the years. I appreciate his honesty about his reason instead of just bashing everything that is not HD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if that ain't a pat on the back for indian and a wake up call to harley i don't know what is ! i enjoyed the review and agree they are great bikes and should appeal to many riders out there.
GO POLARIS !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
11513 said:
He specifically said he likes the culture and comrade that HD has cultivated over the years. I appreciate his honesty about his reason instead of just bashing everything that is not HD.
I probably glossed over that because I have never cared what others thought about my ride.

Matter of fact, I caught some crap from my riding buddies about my FatBoy being such a slug. We are an eclectic group though.

Also, if any bike keeps you within the HD culture, it is Indian. The stat I read was 80% of Indian pre-purchases were HD owners.

Thanks
Kg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'Polaris...with Indian leading the way' uh, wait a miniute, where did polaris learn their motorcycle 'chops'?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<span>'I&rsquo;m not ready to trade in my Road Glide for one, but I wouldn&rsquo;t hesitate for one minute to buy one for a second bike.'

HE brings up a good point I had not thought a lot about. I'm sure Indian will get more than a few Harley owners that buy it as a second or third bike. I hadn't given that much thought. </span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a long time Harley rider, well known in some Harley forums for helping people through many of the little 'Issues' that come up from time to time. After taking a ride on the Chief Vintage, I was pleasantly surprised at how nimble, and easy to handle the bike was. I did a write up post on it and answered a bunch of questions that I was able to.
What I can say, this is an amazing machine that surpassed my expectations. The newest Harley I own is 15 years old and well broken in. With the introduction of the Twincam engine in 99, the Harley 'Feeling' disappeared. From my 1950 FL, to my 76 FLH and the 1998 FLHTC, the 'Feeling' of a Harley is still there. I had a 2000 FLTR that did not share that with my other bikes although it handled better than any other Harley I ever had. So as for comparing the Indian to a Harley, no that just don't fly. This Indian Vintage has it's own feeling that I have not felt on any other bike. If you can't understand that statement, hopefully some day you will.
Will I trade in my old Harley for an Indian? Probably not, but I will say that I want one too. As for what the Indian Vintage is missing, it needs a real tour box. That leather bag just ain't gonna cut it. I'm sure Indian will fix that soon as most of the Harley riders who I know, have brought that up.
While this Indian is not mine, I get to do the services, up grades and get to play with it as I want to. We've put 67 miles on it in the two days we were able to ride it (it's been raining for 3 days here, not subjecting the leather to that yet) What I had been hoping that Harley would deliver in all the 'new and improved' new bikes, Indian delivered in a monotone paint job. I give them Cudos for that! I'm excited to see what the aftermarket will deliver and what the future will be.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice update Easy. I can't wait to ride the Chieftain tomorrow. I also LOVE the old school monotone paint job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder how many Harley riders will buy a Indian as a second bike that becomes their most used bike, I supposed that way they can still ride with the HD riders with the cudos of having both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After 3 demo fleet rides on the Chieftain I'm ready to make the move. One more solo ride from the local dealer should do it for me. My old Road Glide has served me well over the last 12 years but this new Indian has made a believer out of me. At 5'9' 185 lbs the Chieftain feels like it was made for me. Love the 26' seat, the low end grunt, the pulse of the motor and it handles like a dream for such a big bike. I don't play the brand loyal card 'The motorcycle I ride only has to make one person happy'.

P.S. I also did the hands free thing with the cruise set at 60mph and no shake or drift, straight and true!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barry's ride review was an honest assesment of the new Indian with a little history thrown in. I agree with him that Indian will force HD to build a better bike at a better price and that competition will be good for all of us. As for an Indian as a second bike, I don't know how much cash you have but I can only afford one. I've ridden Harleys for years with my last one being a 07 Ultra which I enjoyed very much except for it's handing in the twisties when pushed (a vague wallowing feeling that felt like the frame was twisting). The Chieftain is smooth,powerful,rock stable at high speed and feels solid when pushed hard in the twisties, and as a bonus comes loaded with the extras that HD wants you to buy as accessories unless of course you choose a CVO model at thousands more. Hell, Indian even includes the air pump for the rear shock with the bike instead of you having to buy it later for 50 bucks, did I mention the 12V plug in the right saddle bag to charge your electronics securely when parked. After seeing and riding the new Chieftain there is no comparison for me I bought the Cheiftain and maybe some day when I win the lotto I can buy a Harley for my second bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts