Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Indian and Harley are both doing this as a way to make extra money during product shortages. Oddly enough, other brands that are also experiencing shortages, like Triumph, BMW and Ducati, are not charging surcharges like that, at least in my area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The BMW dealer in Charlotte is not charging outrageous freight or handling fees.
As far as the Indian Dealer in PCB, if my bike ever gets built and delivered, the deal is already made with a contract.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My dealer ate the set up charges to offset the freight increase.
$995.00 handling is not what I’d call “reasonable” charges.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is different from dealer to dealer. Polaris does charge us sur charge on top of freight. Most bikes are $800 over and above freight cost. We also charge $500 for set up, state inspection sticker, adjustment, ect...We DON'T charge any of those inflated fees. Some dealers are marking up over MSRP as well but I want our customers to remember, we didnt gouge them when almost everyone else did.

Because we dont do the inflated fees?price, our showroom stays empty. I'm sending a bike to FL this week and we have sent them all over the US. We normally have 40 new Indians on the floor but we are lucky to have 5 new ones at any given time right now. That being said, we can order almost anything and lead times have come WAY down recently. I'm seeing Scouts delivered in less than a month.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wait for the looming railroad strike.
No kidding, this will be considered cheap if that happens. Just for comparison, 19 months ago a truckload from SEA to MSP was about $2,500. 6 months ago it was 11k and is now currently 6-8k. This situation has brought out the greedy and advantage takers. I'm all for free market but when the economy tanks and your job is cut don't complain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This situation has brought out the greedy and advantage takers. I'm all for free market but when the economy tanks and your job is cut don't complain.
My point was, it isn't ALL dealers. We do not inflate anything at our dealership and take a great deal of pride in that. We cant eat price increases from the mother ship and stay in business but we do all we can. Our freight bill has doubled in the last 2 years with minimal increases to the MSRP. If we don't pass at least some of that on, we can't keep the lights on.

There are some greedy dealers out there, I'll concede that. Lumping us all in one pile just isn't fair to the few that are trying to do the right thing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My point was, it isn't ALL dealers. We do not inflate anything at our dealership and take a great deal of pride in that. We cant eat price increases from the mother ship and stay in business but we do all we can. Our freight bill has doubled in the last 2 years with minimal increases to the MSRP. If we don't pass at least some of that on, we can't keep the lights on.

There are some greedy dealers out there, I'll concede that. Lumping us all in one pile just isn't fair to the few that are trying to do the right thing.
That comment was not directed at anything you said but instead the rail strike and freight situation over the last couple years and their current demands which are out of line given the service level provided. If the rail strikes along with the current shortage of truck space you will likely see rates at least double and space will be scarce.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The same units that cost us $750 in freight to get to our dealership a year ago now cost us $1500. I get it, diesel is $5-$6 a gallon so it has to come from somewhere.

Reactions: mark.lb
1 - 20 of 40 Posts