Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a privately owned, slightly used (650 miles) red Indian Chieftain sold on ebay for $22,100 with starting bid at $21K. The numbered bike appeared to be in excellent condition and had the Stage 1 fishtail exhaust and rear highway bars (~$1200 accessories). List price for the bike would be $24,700 and the 500 mile service was completed. There were two bidders (I considered it, but opted not). I'm curious if others thought this sale price was high, low, or about right.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it would seem that the seller and buyer both thought the price was about right. Since there really isn't a used market yet, I'm inclined to agree with them.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could have been bought, then sold, by an aftermarket manufacturer as a template for products. What gets me is that the bike came with rear highway bars. I (like some other Chieftain owners) are still waiting for our bought-and-paid-for add-ons. Mothership has their prioritie$ lined up like duck$ in a $hooting gallery. Marketing! BANG! Marketing! Bang! Marketing! Bang! For an amount just shy of $25K, there are still ahh, motivations to reel us in. Not a good G'damm start, Oh Great Spirit.....Lake.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere that a guy had some kind of misfortune - he didn't say what - and had to sell his Chieftain. He had quoted the mileage on it but said the mileage may be different because he was still riding it. I saw his ad on eBay.

I did see another Chieftain on eBay being sold by a non-Indian used car dealer who got his hands on a few right out of the gate, but he wasn't selling at a used or discounted price.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He may had bought it and after ridding it .It was not for him, price sounds about right low miles and a shortage with accessories.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can expect to loose 12% driving it off the show room floor, good price with the added goodies.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i wanted one and it had no issues, a transferable warranty and the extras you mentioned. sounds like minimal risk and a good deal to me. sounds like your in casual shopping mode. when you get hungry enough you'll pounce.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His sale discription did reference 'life changes', which could mean lots of things that might require a sale. Pictures showed a very well-kept garage and another Indian in the background, so it might have been that the changes would not allow two bikes and he opted to keep the other one. I doubt he was an aftermarket retailer; more likely just lucky that his dealer had the accessory stock he ordered.

Regarding my own situation, yes I'm in casual shopper mode now. This one was interesting as you mentioned, but decided that given the weather conditions and distance, I would have to add shipping costs and the unease of buying without seeing it in person. I've ridden the Chieftain - loved it! - and am fairly certain that I'll be buying one sometime next year. Maybe see what changes/colors are in store for 2015? Some two-tone schemes from the past look very interesting!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was the 3rd time he had listed this Chieftain on E-Bay. Price/Opening Bid kept coming down. I was hoping it would make it through this last auction with no bids again, and was going to call him and see if we could work something out, but a couple of bidders finally jumped in.
My local dealer had 7 available for sale last e-mail they sent out. I think the initial rush has passed; of course, Winter has a lot to do with it I imagine, although not so much so here in sunny AZ.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree I think the rush Has slowed down I am seeing more available now at My dealership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts