Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Vintage that is perfect for me. I was thinking of a 116 kit I already have stage 1 tune with high flow air filter and CFR slip ons. Today was a perfect riding day with some friends who ride very aggressively. I had no problems keeping up. To me the expense for a few extra HP is not worth it. I’m just fine the way it is.

·
Rider
809 Posts
I agree that the expense is not worth it, nor is the trouble that might follow. My 19 SF has plenty of power and with the ride modes is very versatile no matter the situation.

I chased numbers (TQ/HP) in the past and hindsight 20/20 it was not worth it. If I was racing then maybe but for a touring bike that is ridden for pleasure. Not!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I agree that the expense is not worth it, nor is the trouble that might follow. My 19 SF has plenty of power and with the ride modes is very versatile no matter the situation.

I chased numbers (TQ/HP) in the past and hindsight 20/20 it was not worth it. If I was racing then maybe but for a touring bike that is ridden for pleasure. Not!
^^^^
This

I used to be a high HP car enthusiast. Had a 2006 Viper with 700hp at the wheels with 650lb torque. Took a lot of time and money invested for a no return on investment project except bar stool bragging rights. When you go internal with mods like that you better have a good air/fuel management system behind it and do lots of data logging. Having a kaboom someday is very high risk when doing that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
2014 Classic here, all stock still at 105,000 miles, and I'm more than happy with the performance still. This coming from a guy who has spent tens of thousands street racing, bracket racing, hot rodding old Harleys, and chasing land speed records at Bonneville. This thing just keeps putting a smile on my face, whether it's kicking sideways after shifting into 3rd gear pulling away from a light or pulling a trailer down the interstate. Plenty of power to keep me happy right out of the box, and no money thrown away chasing the next weak part! ;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Also a stock lover. There is always someone, somewhere out there with just a bit more than you on the same platform, so the money can just keep flowing. No thanks... And I'm a firm believer that you get better resale on stock.
Just watch any Barrett-Jackson auction and think about how much money those people put into those cars and bikes, and how much they eventually sold for.

Rodding a bike is certainly cool, and I love some of the paint jobs, but the money...like starting campfires with $100 bills. If that is your thing and hobby, and you can afford it, go for it. Otherwise, understand it is just burnt money.

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
I stopped at Stage Two Cams and the Stage One Intake & Exhaust with the dealer flash. More than that isn't needed.
Ditto!

I bought my Vintage used. She already had the Stage 1 Intake & Exhaust and supposedly, the Stage 2 cams. I have no intention of doing any other mechanical upgrades.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Been there, done that. Not drinking that cool aid any more, keeping it stock.

Rawhide
I agree 100%. Of course being 65 now instead of 25 makes a difference also. Ive had KC Engineering 836cc Honda CB750, 100hp Harley Shovelheads and 124cu '10 Fatboy. Its cool, but in the end its just not worth it. You don't get something for nothing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Gotta agree. A bike like my Vintage was built to cruise and that is what I bought it for. I like more power like the rest but this thing has plenty for my intended use. I am looking into a PVCX but only as a way to tune and tweak what is already there.

·
Silver member
3,130 Posts
I agree with most of the above, leave well enough alone.... kind'a LOL. My '15 Vintage is all stock except for the stage 1 muffs. And it runs well. I've been considering 558s and a PVCX, but I don't believe it's wise to take the 111 much if any further than that, at least not for me. No way to make it a truly fast bike without major surgery and major $$ and that's just the way these 111s are. That's just my opinion.

That said, God bless the guys here that are doing the R&D on their own, and making these newly designed 111s and 116s perform better.

·
Bronze member
2,511 Posts
Mine has enough for me also... $5k for a stage III?... I'll wait until the 108H2O makes it in the line-up and use the 5K on a new bike if I feel I want it..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2015 Vintage that is perfect for me. I was thinking of a 116 kit I already have stage 1 tune with high flow air filter and CFR slip ons. Today was a perfect riding day with some friends who ride very aggressively. I had no problems keeping up. To me the expense for a few extra HP is not worth it. I’m just fine the way it is.
I'm not....I'm going to be completely honest....I have the 2019 Indian Chieftain....bone stock. I ride with guys who have Harley (Road Glides, Street Glides) and few with Stage 1 and few that are stock. When they decide to open them Harley's (107) up, and I open up in Sport mode(111) .....I'm falling back. I'll get top 100, but I feel the bike is straining at that point and back off.They get to a 100 a lot faster than when I get to 100. Now...I did not buy my bike to go fast or race, however, I would like a little more beef....so I'm pretty sure at worst case, I'll get to Stage 2 at some point.

Anyone else have a this same experience?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree, I'm not really going to upgrade my 16 SF. It's loud enough to give me a grin every time I ride it. Is louder better? Nah. 500 bucks for louder pipes? and a few HP? The TS 111 has enough torque to spin that fat rear tire if you drop that clutch. I'm fine. I just love to be out riding. :)

·
Founding member
1,074 Posts
A little different perspective at age 72.

I've had bad fast bikes. Last one was a BMW GTL. It would pull the front wheel at 80 mph.

My 2017 Chieftain stage one is not fast,but I can twist the throttle and really enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts