Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help! Was gonna go by myself. Now the wife is going! I only invited her to go because I thought she would say no. So instead of riding, I'm gonna be trailering the bike up there. Don't plan on staying in Sturgis too long. 1 or 2 days at most. Wanna ride and see this beautiful state. Can you find rooms within say,50 to 70 miles from Sturgis? Gonna campout out when I can. What I really need are do's and don'ts.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Go the week after. Not crowded, motels available, air cleaner, and prices cheaper. Still enough people around to sense the event however.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Don't... take your wife! :)

Seriously, though... Good thread topic. I've never gone to Sturgis either and would like to go this year. I've often wondered what are the dos and don'ts, i.e.:

1. When is too late to book a room?
2. Is it safe?
3. Maybe a dumb question, but is it worth going?
4. Will my bike be safe while parked?
5. Are prices on food, hotel, refreshments, biker clothing, etc. outrageously priced? (For a two-day stay, how much should a person plan on spending?
6. What highlights/events are a must to see/experience?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I went the week before and stayed the weekend the event started.....It got harder to get around each day....the rides to needles, the badlands, mt Rushmore and Wyoming were great until everyone arrived in town...I live near daytona and that didn't compare to traffic around sturgus...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went the week before and stayed the weekend the event started.....It got harder to get around each day....the rides to needles, the badlands, mt Rushmore and Wyoming were great until everyone arrived in town...I live near daytona and that didn't compare to traffic around sturgus...
Very good info!Thanks

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Seriously, though... Good thread topic. I've never gone to Sturgis either and would like to go this year. I've often wondered what are the dos and don'ts, i.e.:

2. Is it safe?
5. Are prices on food, hotel, refreshments, biker clothing, etc. outrageously priced? (For a two-day stay, how much should a person plan on spending?
My son mentioned security - meaning bike security. Saying people stealing their pick of the bikes.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts

2. Is it safe?
1. Already too late, this is the 75 anniversary, will be probably the largest crowd ever. Campgrounds we stay at are already nearly fully booked already.
2. Safe as long as you don't antagonize any drunk bikers. Lots of cops around.
3. Yes, yes, and yes. Good concerts, lots of cool bikes to see, vendors out the wazoo, awesome riding in the Black hills.
4. Yes, thousands of bikes parked, never heard of anyone getting theirs stolen or molested. Never had a problem in 10 years of going.
5. Hotel prices are ridiculous, camping is more reasonable. Everything else is priced normally.
6. Too many to list, see the schedule. My personal favorites are Crazy Horse, and the Spearfish canyon and Needles rides. Concerts at the Buffalo Chip and Full Throttle Saloon are usually pretty good.

You should go!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Great experience, never had an issue with theft, hell I've left my leathers on the bike while checking out the sites, probably not the smartest thing but never a problem.
It is crowded, takes a very long time to get through this very small town, but the amount of bikes parked on Main St. is something to see!!
Yea motels are sold out, but you might check, never know when someone will back out, but you will pay $$$$.
Bring the rain gear, storms build up in the afternoon and can get pretty bad.
Agree with Gort on the sites I would also include Devils Tower near Sundance WY.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Your bike is probably safer in Sturgis than out of town at a motel. If you leave tyour bike on the trailer, make sure you have a lock on the reciever hitch. If you want to go to experience Sturgis, plan on waitin gin line in bumper to bumper motorcycles. Last year comming into Sturgis from Deadwood was backed up for 2 miles. The 75th is going to be worse. If you need a spot to camp, Try Rockerville. Right behind the ghostown is a little motorcycle shop that will allow you to camp for probably nothing. 45 minutes from Sturgis. If I even think of going this year, I will be in Rockerville to avoid Sturgis. If you want to go riding in the hills, Wait until after the rally. During the rally the roads will be so busy with traffic it will be hard to enjoy yourself. During the 50th Rally, traffic was backed up for miles on the Interstate. Overheating or wet with no place to go for hours.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Rooms are going fast and very expensive, 350.00 per night for the week of. I'll be there from the 25th to the 28th. I'm being told taht due to the influx of people coming all vendors are to setup 2 weeks ahead of the rally... Some campsites are already filled, motels are filling quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I arrived on Sunday, camped at the very back of the campground, Full throttle was my favorite site. Get out early & you beat the crowds. It is worth it.
I left on Thursday AM as the crowds reach their peak.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Going out two weeks prior, Motels in Spearfish already filled, Cost for us is 149 per night, week of they all are going to 350 per night...Because they can... Good luck

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
Have been 7 times, never a problem with people or theft but we don't do the late night bar scene. Get out early in AM (8-8.30)and downtown parking and scenic roads are pretty empty (party animals sleep in). Our first morning we always ride Vanocher Canyon to Nemo and stop at the country store. Plenty of good reasonably priced food if you get a block or so off the main street and watch for church or youth group booths. Would rather give them my $ anyway.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Thanks,Everybody! Will take everything into consideration, then I'll have to report to the WARDEN. Either way I'm going. Thanks again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been the week before. Still crowded, but not nuts. Stayed mostly in KOA campgrounds, moving every couple of days. Definitely wanted to be gone the "official" days. Still lots of vendors, enough of a crowd to get the feel but not so much hassle getting around, getting fed, getting gas. It was a shock to stop at a truck stop off the freeway between Rapid City and Sturgis and see a line of over 10 bikes waiting at each pump! Getting close to Sturgis on the freeway? coming from the east? Drive past the off ramp line at the east side of town and exit at the west exit, the line will be much much shorter. Same thing if you are coming from the west, go to the east ramp.

I stayed at the Mt. Rushmore KOA, the Devil's Tower KOA (Close encounters of the third kind shown every night in the campground with the Tower as a backdrop and free popcorn), and a KOA at Hot Springs, a small town 70 miles or so to the south of Rapid City. Make sure you get a chance to take the "wildlife loop" of the National Park. Mt. Rushmore park was very interesting and there is a great ceremony every evening at dusk. Very moving if you are a veteran. What you see in Sturgis is definitely up to you. There's lots and lots of lots and lots. Traffic does suck, even the week before. We only spent a few hours there on two different days. There was just to much great riding, all around the area away from the crowds. Deadwood is interesting as are most small towns in the area. Many have street vendors just like Sturgis without the huge crowds, some even have live bands playing during the day (and night).; I bought a great pair of chaps in one of the small towns for a deal price. Lots of leather for sale every where, with many vendors selling what they made themselves, not from a "off-shore" supplier.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I can't see myself going this year. Just too many people, traffic and confusion. It's like waiting for 2-3 hours to get a Happy Meal on these banner years.
And if you take the wildlife loop, don't shut off your bike or get off of it around the buffalo. I've been chased on my motorcycle once. It's an adrenaline rush.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My company has sent me up 2 weeks ahead of the rally the past 2 years to set up wifi for the downtown area. This takes the load off of the cellular network for for the rally. We generally leave before the rally and come back as soon as it finishes. The rides are great before the rally as there are very few people there yet! Last year I stayed for the first few days of the rally and came back for the last day.... traffic was definitely rough until people thinned out! I spent a lot of time at the Indian dealer in Sturgis, and during the time that I came home, ended up buying my Chieftain at the "local" 90 miles away dealer. I didn't have as much trouble as others did as when I returned to Sturgis for the tear down, I stopped in and got the Luggage rack for my backrest that everyone else was having trouble getting! This year being the 75th year, I expect it to be a WILD party, and am planning to stay the whole time!

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
. After you get there find a good city or local map. There are ways to get around the traffic and avoid the Main and Lazelle Street mess.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts