Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a known fact that most people who had a 116 big bore kit installed are going through batteries and starter motors quicker than when the bike was stock, has anyone come up with a solution to the intermittent slow cranki/delay in cranking, does anyone know of a high torque starter or a better battery, I had a Renegade 500cca and it didn't even last a year, I'm now on my second starter motor, it will probably last me a year or so like the last one did
Thanks in advance
Howard

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure if this would help but...I have a 1984 Ducati Hailwood 1000cc big V-Twin that was doing the same. Cranked over really slow and was hard on batteries. Electrical systems on them were marginal at best. Tried all the usual things (clean grounds, bigger battery, etc.), eventually I made up some new, higher quality battery/starter cables and the issue was solved. Starter spun right up fast and started the bike right off. Maybe that would help in this case as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My Renegade 500CCA battery lasted less than a year on my 111. Don't know if I'd attribute it's death to just the 116. I also had slow cranking issues even with a new battery. Dealer replaced the starter and all was well after that. This was on a 16RM.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Renegade 500CCA battery lasted less than a year on my 111. Don't know if I'd attribute it's death to just the 116. I also had slow cranking issues even with a new battery. Dealer replaced the starter and all was well after that. This was on a 16RM.
I replaced the starter and the battery last year and again this year, still delays when cranking

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if this would help but...I have a 1984 Ducati Hailwood 1000cc big V-Twin that was doing the same. Cranked over really slow and was hard on batteries. Electrical systems on them were marginal at best. Tried all the usual things (clean grounds, bigger battery, etc.), eventually I made up some new, higher quality battery/starter cables and the issue was solved. Starter spun right up fast and started the bike right off. Maybe that would help in this case as well.
I appreciate it but there is nothing wrong with the cables, the starter is not sufficient to overcome the compression when the cams on one of the cylinders are not up on the compression release

·
Registered
73 Posts
No offense, but how do you know there is nothing wrong with the cables. There may not be, but different types of wires have different resistive properties, resulting in a larger or smaller voltage drop across the cables hence less voltage/current actually making it to the starter. Measure how many volts are actually at the starter while trying to start it. With the increase of compression, the voltage drop could result in the starter now not being able to deal with the extra compression. New lower resistance cables would result in more power getting to the starter so that the starter can spin the motor easier. Just did the same thing for a customers Ducati 916 and it is amazing how much easier the starter spins over the motor. BTW, I am an electrical engineer by trade, so I do know something about this. It would definitely help, and would not hurt.

You must remember, that the components on your Indian were designed to deal with the stock 111 engine. They are not necessarily designed for the changes you have made.
Rob

·
Registered
366 Posts
I keep my 116 on a tender when not in use and tighten the battery and frame ground once in a while. No problems. Bike will struggle to start in colder temperatures.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
I would take the old starter to an autoelectric shop and see if they can install some heavy duty clutches in the starter motor. I am surprised Indian hasn't put out a heavy duty starter yet...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts