Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are trailering the bike to Idaho Springs, CO this weekend (don't judge - this is my only option for taking the bike). I'll get to go for a few rides during next week. I'm looking for advice on must-ride routes (Estes Park is already on the list) and also riding at altitude and in the mountains. My parents live there so we're there fairly often (so I've been lots of places - just not on my bike). Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
256 Posts
The obligatory picture at Pikes Peak should be on your list. And if I were to stay in that area I would for sure do the road up over Lookout Mountain and stop to see Buffalo Bill's Grave site.
Virginia Canyon road between Idaho City and Central City is supposed to be awesome.
Not sure how far away you are planning to go, but it would be a great ride over to Montrose to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Ntnl Park. Totally worth seeing. And while you are there, you could go south another hour and hit the Million Dollar Hwy.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Might be too late, but I'd get my hands on a Butler map. They are fantastic resources for riding in states not familiar with. They grade and color code the roads for bikers. Makes it easy to decide where to ride based on where you are. Colorado has many many options for you.

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! I had NO idea these existed. I JUST ordered one and it should be here before we head out. Thanks for the suggestion, I owe you a beer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Keep an eye out on the wildfire that started today in Evergreen. Hopefully this will be extinguished quickly. We've had some rain that will hopefully help put out this fire.

I live nearby (might even be able to meetup for a ride if you like) and can offer the following suggestions.

Mt Evans...the highest paved road in North America can be rode from Idaho Springs. Just be aware of the altitude.

Take a ride into Evergreen and the down to 285 through Conifer. From there you could head south to Pine Junction and then to to Woodland Park...a fantastic ride. From Woodland Park head to 24 West into South Park and then back. Or at Conifer take Turkey Creek to Deer Creek and up High Grade Road......another close, fun ride.

Not sure how much riding you plan to do. I'm sure you'll like it. I'm so blessed to be able to ride these roads on a regular basis.

PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep an eye out on the wildfire that started today in Evergreen. Hopefully this will be extinguished quickly. We've had some rain that will hopefully help put out this fire.

I live nearby (might even be able to meetup for a ride if you like) and can offer the following suggestions.

Mt Evans...the highest paved road in North America can be rode from Idaho Springs. Just be aware of the altitude.

Take a ride into Evergreen and the down to 285 through Conifer. From there you could head south to Pine Junction and then to to Woodland Park...a fantastic ride. From Woodland Park head to 24 West into South Park and then back. Or at Conifer take Turkey Creek to Deer Creek and up High Grade Road......another close, fun ride.

Not sure how much riding you plan to do. I'm sure you'll like it. I'm so blessed to be able to ride these roads on a regular basis.

PM me if you have any questions.
Will do

·
Bronze member
2,660 Posts
If you’re staying in Idaho Spgs., I’d definitely ride up the top of Mt. Evans. Just check the weather first. When we overnighted in Idaho Spgs., we had to cancel our ride to Mt. Evans due to the wind. If going to Pike’s Peak, the line will be shorter the earlier you can get there...we waited in line about 45 min. just to get to the entrance.

·
Rider
735 Posts
If you’re staying in Idaho Spgs., I’d definitely ride up the top of Mt. Evans. Just check the weather first. When we overnighted in Idaho Spgs., we had to cancel our ride to Mt. Evans due to the wind. If going to Pike’s Peak, the line will be shorter the earlier you can get there...we waited in line about 45 min. just to get to the entrance.
My biggest advice when riding up Mt Evans (which is worth it) is to LOOK WAY AHEAD for people that stop/park their cars to take pictures of animals. I almost dropped the bike because I didn't pay attention to this and had to stop quickly on a corner. When I went, it was packed.

I did a short sprint at the top and was amazed how the altitude affected me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did Pike's Peak and Mt. Evans (different days) Go early! Yes, it's colder, but you'll miss more of the cagers, and dress warm - it's really cold and windy at the top of Mt. Evans (was pushing 90 at the bottom), and yes the air is definitely thin. Pike's is more touristy, more people. Be sure to stop at Marion's of the Rockies in Idaho Springs... a really good breakfast. Also consider Garden of the gods - pretty cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you plan to take a ride through Rocky Mountain National Forest, make sure to look at getting entrance passes early. I was there last week and didn't buy tickets in advance so we didn't get a chance to drive through there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts