Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Silver member
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm at the 5K mark and have called two dealers to get the service done but both are booked for two weeks of more. I hate to let this bike sit and not ride it waiting on the dealers. I called my favorite independent service shop and he is a week out. I have booked with him but may just ride it over the weekend anyways. I'm sure there is no magic to landing in the shop at 5000 straight up.:D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I feel you, it feels awesome to see the 4999 roll over right as you pull into the dealer. Truth is that it doesn’t matter. You could go over thousands of miles without issue. It’s just gonna boil down to how obsessive you are!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
I did mine at 5500 without issue. It's more of a recommendation really. You can tell if something starts to happen on the bike. Check the oil and if it's not overly dirty, keep going!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it a waste of money to get it sooner? I'm about 400 miles away would it be a waste of money to do it now while I have time or should I just wait? I've ridden it pretty hard I just bought the bike May 29th and I'm already at almost 5,000 miles

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
489 Posts
I just did my own 5000 mile service at 5414...not gonna hurt anything. By the way, switched over to the K&P filter and Amsoil 15W60, really quieted the top end sewing machine noise a lot. Like Tech said above...it's just a recommended interval. Today's modern lubricants can protect for a long time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it a waste of money to get it sooner? I'm about 400 miles away would it be a waste of money to do it now while I have time or should I just wait? I've ridden it pretty hard I just bought the bike May 29th and I'm already at almost 5,000 miles

I would get the service scheduled if you are just 400-miles short. I did mine at 4,200-miles because I was heading on coast-to-coast ride and would put 4-6K miles.

·
5 years +
196 Posts
I did mine at 5500 without issue. It's more of a recommendation really. You can tell if something starts to happen on the bike. Check the oil and if it's not overly dirty, keep going!
How can you tell how dirty it is?

·
Silver member
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I don’t sweat 500 over or under but I might be closer to 1000 over if I do a trip this weekend. Normally I can get into the deal since the sometimes give me xtra consideration because of the business and personal relationship that I have with them but the tech is on vacation for a week and booked the next one. I’m going to my independent man next week.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
Pull the dipstick and wipe the oil on a white papertowl. It's not full proof but if it's really dark, smells burnt, etc be careful. It won't change much in 500 mi unless something is very wrong.

·
Silver member
5,191 Posts
This information regarding the 5,000 mile service is not included in the I/P manual.... There's a fused pin built into the ecu. The ecu auto lights the fuse at 5001 miles. It's a slow fuse. At some point the fuse expires signaling the ecu to pull/release the pin. When the ecu pulls the pin the engine grenades causing total internal destruction. No one, including I/P knows for how long the fuse burns before detonation occurs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This information regarding the 5,000 mile service is not included in the I/P manual.... There's a fused pin built into the ecu. The ecu auto lights the fuse at 5001 miles. It's a slow fuse. At some point the fuse expires signaling the ecu to pull/release the pin. When the ecu pulls the pin the engine grenades causing total internal destruction. No one, including I/P knows for how long the fuse burns before detonation occurs.
Sadly some people will believe that. Like Blinker Fluid.

·
Silver member
5,191 Posts
Sadly some people will believe that. Like Blinker Fluid.

God I hope not LOL. Anyways, I expect blinker fluid bleeding is part of the 5,000 mile service, right?

Reactions: sammyboy405

·
Rider
932 Posts
The only real way, by an oil analysis. Remaining oil additives (TBN), wear metals, fuel in the oil, dirt in the oil ie… silica, changes in viscosity etc all will show up. This analysis was done on my ‘17 RM in 2019. 4300 miles on the oil, 36k miles on the bike. Plenty of additives left to go out to 8k miles if I had wanted to. I shoot for a 5k mile change but have gone as high as 7500 miles on an extended coast to coast ride. Haven’t gotten one on my ‘21 Challenger yet with 12k miles but will when I change before I put put her away for the winter. Full synthetic is the only way to go IMO.

Attachments

Reactions: Hoseman and Dr.D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Evidently you have sat in on a few of PII's board meetings. 🧐

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just ride it. 5000 is a recommended number and likely you could ride one of these things 10k and it would be fine. Worry more about loose bolts and grease points. Grease your clutch cable ends lately? If not, that's the only thing I'd worry about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts