Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parked my 2019 chieftain dark horse outside in about 96 degree weather and noticed that after about 2 hours the glue used to add the rubber edge around the gas tank console started oozing out creating a mess. Trying to clean it out just makes it worse. I am going to let it cool down a bit and try to clean it and because its a matte finish I do not want to use any type of solvent that could mess up the matte finish and rubbing to hard on the shinny plastic surface would leave scuff marks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My next visit to the dealer I am going to have them fix that under warranty.. disappointing indeed.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There was a similar post for a Challenger a week or so ago. That new style tank console with the glue is due for a bit of revision at the factory by the look of it.

Somebody on the other post found it came off with goo-gone, but it took a few cycles before the glue stopped oozing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Same issue with my 19 CDH. It started a while ago though, before the really hot weather. I think I’ll file a claim as well when I take it in for the recall(s)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a similar post for a Challenger a week or so ago. That new style tank console with the glue is due for a bit of revision at the factory by the look of it.

Somebody on the other post found it came off with goo-gone, but it took a few cycles before the glue stopped oozing.
The problem with matte paint if u use the wrong solvent it could screw up the gas tank paint finish permanently rather not take the chance while I still have warranty if the dealer screws it up they fixit on Polaris dime.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for posting this question. I have the same thing happening but wasn't quite sure what it was. I also have a 2019 CDH. I will also talk to my dealer

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I was at the Indian dealer last weekend and saw a number of Challengers on the showroom floor with glue oozing out of the edges of the trim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same here on my '19 Chieftain Limited. My dealer is about 100 miles away, and this is a good enough reason for me to make the ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Parked my 2019 chieftain dark horse outside in about 96 degree weather and noticed that after about 2 hours the glue used to add the rubber edge around the gas tank console started oozing out creating a mess. Trying to clean it out just makes it worse. I am going to let it cool down a bit and try to clean it and because its a matte finish I do not want to use any type of solvent that could mess up the matte finish and rubbing to hard on the shinny plastic surface would leave scuff marks.

View attachment 598089
That’s exactly how mine looks. Same place I have a 2018 Black Pearl Chieftain Limited

·
Bronze member
2,837 Posts
You’ll spend more time making an appt., taking it to the dealer, having someone there fix it, while you wait, etc., than just doing it yourself. Plus, you’ll do a better job and be more careful than the dealership. This problem has been mentioned before and the easy remedy is to take the console apart and clean the glue off with a solvent, like Goo Gone, adhesive remover, etc. You don’t need glue on these parts anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used this on a rag, had a clean one to wipe it off.
I have a Black Pearl Paint, so its not Matt. i just wet the rag enough to have a working amount on the rag . Comes off pretty easy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You’ll spend more time making an appt., taking it to the dealer, having someone there fix it, while you wait, etc., than just doing it yourself. Plus, you’ll do a better job and be more careful than the dealership. This problem has been mentioned before and the easy remedy is to take the console apart and clean the glue off with a solvent, like Goo Gone, adhesive remover, etc. You don’t need glue on these parts anyway.
Its good for the dealer and Polaris to be aware of these issue so they can resolve it in future builds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts