Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed, when they put the black trim on the gas tank, they appear to have used too much glue. I had this bead of glue all around the piece of trim between the chrome and the black paint. I used WD-40 to break it down and remove it. Has anybody else had this issue? And, was WD-40 a good or bad idea?

Brian

·
Rider
1,608 Posts
WD-40 is fine won’t hurt your clear coat. If it’s mate just use some dawn and a sponge. The WD-40 won’t hurt the rubber or the chrome. As a matter of fact is awesome to use with a tooth brush to clean and get shmutz off of the engine case/ block.

·
Rider
451 Posts
If you're talking about the challenger, yes. I think it's something quality control needs to look at before shipping the bikes out. I don't have one personally but I have seen 3 or 4 on dealership floors with this problem and honestly it looks terrible and makes the bike look super cheap. I know it's just glue but still just looks bad enough that it makes the bike look poorly made INMO

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're talking about the challenger, yes. I think it's something quality control needs to look at before shipping the bikes out. I don't have one personally but I have seen 3 or 4 on dealership floors with this problem and honestly it looks terrible and makes the bike look super cheap. I know it's just glue but still just looks bad enough that it makes the bike look poorly made INMO
No, it's a Springfield. Sounds like the same issue. If it would dry to a hard bead, it wouldn't be an issue, but when you live in AZ, the sun makes it soft. You go to wipe your bike down and you have glue all over everything! That is really poor QA. I didn't realize I had the same issue on the right side of the tank until a finicky gas nozzle spilled all over the tank. I went to wipe it off an the glue was everywhere. I used some WD-40 and now it's all gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, it's a Springfield. Sounds like the same issue. If it would dry to a hard bead, it wouldn't be an issue, but when you live in AZ, the sun makes it soft. You go to wipe your bike down and you have glue all over everything! That is really poor QA. I didn't realize I had the same issue on the right side of the tank until a finicky gas nozzle spilled all over the tank. I went to wipe it off an the glue was everywhere. I used some WD-40 and now it's all gone.
I have a 2019 Springfield and have that issue with mine. It looks bad. It has to be an engineering design issue in terms of the whatever they used to create a seal there? When the weather warms I’ll try WD40 to clean it up. Other than that, I have no complaints with Springfield, year and half old, 13k miles. Happy camper!

·
Rider
551 Posts
Can someone please take a picture of this and post it? I’m trying to figure out where this glue is exactly so I can find it in mine and clean it up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can someone please take a picture of this and post it? I’m trying to figure out where this glue is exactly so I can find it in mine and clean it up. Thanks!

Here are two pictures of my gas tank you can see the glue between the black gas tank and Crome piece

·
Rider
551 Posts
Wow!
No offense to the seeing impaired, but when did they start assembling the trim on the chrome bezel? That’s absolutely horrendous. The reason I couldn’t find it on my 2017 SF is that there is no visible glue. Do you guys think the dealer farted around and did that? As mentioned above, I can’t believe that made it pass Quality Control at the factory. If it did, that scares me...just wait til the Harley guys get a hold of this...
On the bright side, you’ll enjoy the hell out of the SF. I have a 2007 Road King, but the ride difference is so great I only ride the Road King around town now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m very pleased with the SF. When I have a warm day I’ll use some WD-40 and remove the excess glue. I don’t know if factory or dealer did that but it isn’t a good look for an otherwise awesome looking Indian. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts