Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Scout in glossy black. I chose glossy black because it was less expensive and I like darker colors. But the more I see the smoke black the more and more I like it. But here are my concerns about smoke black. Tell me what you think...

1. Is the smoke black worth $300.00 more?
2. Is the smoke black harder to keep looking clean?
3. Is touching up a stone chip on matt paint more difficult to blend?
4. Are the matt finishes just a passing fad? Will I get tired of it after a while?
5. Does the matt finish hurt (help?) resale value? Does it limit prospective buyers should I ever sell?
6. Should the classic Indian brand be in any finish other than the traditional glossy paint?

Right now, I'm thinking about calling my dealer tomorrow to change my order to a smoke black Scout. It looks so sweet, so tough, so kick-ass while simultaneously looking sophisticated and elegant.

I know these are all extremely subjective questions. But I would like to know how you, personally, would answer them if you were in my position.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I just ordered a Scout in glossy black. I chose glossy black because it was less expensive and I like darker colors. But the more I see the smoke black the more and more I like it. But here are my concerns about smoke black. Tell me what you think...

4. Are the matt finishes just a passing fad? Will I get tired of it after a while?
5. Does the matt finish hurt (help?) resale value? Does it limit prospective buyers should I ever sell?
6. Should the classic Indian brand be in any finish other than the traditional glossy paint?

Right now, I'm thinking about calling my dealer tomorrow to change my order to a smoke black Scout. It looks so sweet, so tough, so kick-ass while simultaneously looking sophisticated and elegant.

I know these are all extremely subjective questions. But I would like to know how you, personally, would answer them if you were in my position.

Thanks
Resale value is only good if you are going to sell it or trade it in. Buy what you like, if you are not happy with the purchase you lose. Personally I like whatever cleans up nice after a ride in the inclement weather.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Not yet, but soon

·
6,027 Posts
I think the matte Scout is gorgeous. I got some matte vinyl wrap and at some point I'll try it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It's all in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, it's worth the money. All the rest really doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I like the black smoke (obviously), is it hard to maintain - no, touchups - can be a problem. Like LuftWolf said, buy what you like and enjoy

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts

Thanks
I bought a Honda Super Hawk with the matt finish in black because it looked so cool, in less than a year and the older it got and the more it was washed the more the "matt" look started getting glossier and glossier!

There is nothing you can do to make it look better, you can't wax it or polish it either!

Just letting my fingernails drag across it left an indelible mark!
I finally painted it Ice Box White and just drove the hell out of it and finally sold it to a friend who later on painted it BRIGHT YELLOW!

Don't want this to sound like it was a total bummer and mine was a Honda, I have no idea how the matt paint the Indian uses works in the long run, but wouldn't think it would be any different.

I have seen several other matt paints do the same on other bikes.

Use your own judgement if you like the paint, go with it, but in all likelihood it might not last as originally bought!.

Google it! Lots of info like mine!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Will I get tired of it after a while? Really that's your
question.
I like red my favorite color, got an outstanding deal on blue. Now blue is my favorite color. If your wife dyes her hair do you still love her?
Now I have NEVER bought a bike due to resale value. This is my last bike, said that about my last one too, so if I sell this one the next one will be my last.
Do I marry the girl next door or the stripper in town.
Just pick one then have positive thoughts about it being the greatest bike in the world!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll make it easy for you brother man flat black is just under coat ,they forgot the clear coat on the silver and your either a bad ass or a extrovert .black is bad ass and red in oarsum.or may be if you can't make up your mind just paint it beigh that's a colour for people that can't make up there minds me I new straight away which colour .and two tone well that's for wankers.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

Thanks
1.) Yes
2.) No. Never wax or use silicone cleaners. Wash with warm water and dish soap. Spot clean with non ammonia glass cleaner.
3.) Yes
4.) Doubt it. H-D has been using matte/denim finishes since 2009 and they still sell strong.
5.) As said, don't buy for resale. Buy the color YOU like best.
6.) Indian is foolish not to at least make a Chieftain in a smoke color. (Again) H-D Street Glides sell very well in matte finishes.

Red Scouts look more classic, black smoke looks more bad ass. Your call.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love mine my black smoke, like others have stated it's in the eye of the beholder. I get many people comment on how the matte finish looks good and more bad ass...you bet.
Here is a link on a good article on matte paint posted by forum member a while back.....maybe be of help.
As for the fading over time? UV rays damage paint over time whether gloss is more durable over matte, that's over my scope of knowledge.
Here is an excerpt from the article that I use to increase the life expectancy of my paint ....Hope this helps.

"As waxes and polishes are verboten, Pennington advises adding some UV protection and shine to matte paint with specially formulated spray waxes. Meguiar's own Ultimate Quick Wax, for instance, doesn't have any harsh cleaners that will damage matte paints, and it creates a protective coating over the paint surface."

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will I get tired of it after a while? Really that's your
question.
I like red my favorite color, got an outstanding deal on blue. Now blue is my favorite color.
Yea, "really, that's my question." I didn't type it because I needed the exercise. When you make a multi-thousand dollar purchase, maybe you can rationalize and convince yourself into liking or accepting something. I tend to research and investigate various elements of a purchase before slapping down a wad of $100 bills.

·
2,047 Posts
Howdy Folks,
You know, when the flat finishes started showing up on bikes a few years ago, I really didn't know what to make of them. I mean, we used to run our bikes in flat black primer when they were under construction or being repaired, and it looked pretty tough, but the expectation always was that it'd get a "real" paint job when the work was over. So when bikes stared showing up on the showroom floors looking like they were in primer, it was like they were aping an authenticity that they hadn't earned, sort of like a pair of brand-new jeans pre-faded and frayed on the rack.

Of late though, with exposure to some of the recent custom builds and new bikes, like the Scout for example, the look has started to grow on me, the flat and semi-gloss textures contrasting with the bright-work and sand-cast textures of the aluminum frame looks pretty cool.

Get what pleases you. If you get tired of it, painting a set of motorcycle tins is no big deal. Given the way I use my bikes I look at all paint jobs as pretty much transitory anyhow.
--- Randall.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts