Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
It is undoubtedly hitting Indian just as hard although Polaris is much more diversified than Harley Davidson. ATV and side-by-side utility vehicles will still sell. Motorcycles & snowmobiles not so much.

·
Bronze member
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully these companies pull through this downturn ok. I'm seeing heavy discounts on new bikes.

Polaris can weather this for a while. Harley was already in life-support mode, they most likley will have to file for bankruptcy protection later this year, or be sold to a foreign investor. Same goes with other companies that were on life support like Sears, etc.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
Major downsizing will be their way of surviving this. I believe a lot of the dealerships will disappear in the process. Only the strongest who are not upside-down in debt and those who sell more than just motorcycles will make it.

·
Senior member / rider
1,340 Posts
Yah I think of getting a new RM. Have a 2017 now love the bike but like to upgrade to the modern technology. I was also looking at the Changer. Would love to see a full tour model.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
If Polaris introduced a Challenger based model without the fairing, think Springfield, I’d buy one now. Unfortunately, I suspect new model development will take a backseat to basic survival for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree. For the Challenge they would just have to add lower and rear tour pack.

Just a thought.

What the future brings will be interesting. Just hope the y survive.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,110 Posts
Polaris can weather this for a while. Harley was already in life-support mode, they most likley will have to file for bankruptcy protection later this year, or be sold to a foreign investor. Same goes with other companies that were on life support like Sears, etc.
I worked for the largest US Auto Manufacturer as a Bankruptcy Paralegal / Annalist for 11 years, I foresee Bankruptcy filings hitting record highs for the next 3 years, it's going to be a very active segment for a long time from this down turn. Hope the best for all involved!

2008 --- 2011 was horrible in the Bankruptcy Courts, this will be many times worse...

Reactions: Cmiller

·
Founding Member
1,932 Posts
Harley is on life support with 1.4 billion in sales last year? Don’t think so.

·
Bronze member
1,306 Posts
I think it’s too early to tell the outcome of this lapse in spending. I think people are going to spend money as soon as they get a couple weeks into recovery. The way money gets spent will be different for the next couple years. Restaurants and bars will suffer terrible until everyone is sure Typhoid Mary isn’t on the kitchen roster. Hotels and cruise ships will be lower demand. The motorcycle market is harder to gauge. As mentioned in a previous post Harley Davidson would be wise to can the new models until the market is fit for expansion.

Several businesses I know have a huge backlog of orders waiting to be filled. Some are planning to hire above the recall staff to fill those.
The government has done the right thing by filtering In monies to keep the financial wheels turning.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts