Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I picked up a acquired an old Girder frontend. In looking on line I found an old add for California Cycle Works and this girder looks like it could be one of theirs. It also looks like some others I saw. would love to get some input from anyone who thinks they know who might have made it. OR any of you currently running girders. Its 24 inches from the axle to the bottom tree so I am thinking it might be about 2 inches over. Its about as wide as a narrow glide. I bought it with the idea of running it on my 2002 Scout project. (see photos) Any input would be appreciated.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Howdy @Crazy Horse 124
Nice girder. The problem you run into with most of these aftermarket girders is that there are no grease fittings at the pivot links and the bushing (and often the pins) may be badly worn. I have installed grease fittings on girders like this and it makes keeping everything lubricated much easier.
--- Randall

·
Bronze member
3,227 Posts
Looks like a durfree girder.don't remember how to spell the name,but they built a lot of them.
Great front ends,I had one in the 70s.
I now have a stock Indian one with original shock,best handling front end I've ever run.

·
Bronze member
3,227 Posts
Check if their are set screws in the acorn nuts.
If not,might be early one,and they tend to vibrate off.
I had one on the lower bar start backing off on the highway around 80 mph,flew off just as I made a mad grab for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts