Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Silver member
5,309 Posts
They made 70 bikes total. 12 of those were true Spirit of America bikes that has a bit fancier paint job than most with flags on the fender and a special commemorative paint job on the dash.

The other 58 came in one of two combinations. All had the same flag work on the tank, but the outer color of the tank was either red or blue. And the fenders matched the tanks either red or blue.

I am only speculating on this one as their is no official data, but I think they made a few more blue ones than red ones.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dig the white one. Evel Knievel style.
I don't know if I've ever seen one of those. Or maybe I did and thought it was custom paint.

·
Bronze member
3,012 Posts
They actually had 4 colors which I shared above , the actual quantities of them are hard to pin down I have heard all different #'s mentioned . Here are some of the report s, not verified .
*******This Spirit is one of only 6 made, and the only one white. Donation was made for each bike sold to the children's fund. 6 were made -- one White, one Black, two Blue and 2 Red . * A different source says - A limited run of 10 bikes built by one of the many rebirths of Indian to support America’s relief efforts in the aftermath of September 11th, the Indian Spirit of America featured a special American Flag motif and additional cosmetic details. 2001 was a special year for Indian – it was the 100th anniversary of the company. They decided to share proceeds from the sales of this limited edition with the American Red Cross and New York Firefighter’s 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund. Then this was posted with the pic of the red bike in the top photo . --- ** Lot #335 - 2001 Very Limited/Special Edition 100th Anniversary American Spirit Indian Motorcycle. This bike was custom built by Indian with the proceeds aiding the Red Cross 911 Twin Towers Disaster Fund, truly earning its name as the "Spirit of America" motorcycle. This bike is #24 of 62 total and only 1 of 30 in the Patriotic Red-White-and Blue! This is quite possibly Indians's most beautiful bike ever. From its custom S & S V-Twin engine dripping in chrome to the period wide white-wall tires mounted on true chrome spoke wheels, this machine demands attention. With under 795 original miles this Indian motorcycle is better than new. Look Again, you may never see another!

·
Bronze member
3,012 Posts
HERE WAS ONE FOR SALE
New Or Used 2001 Indian SPIRIT, Motorcycles & ATVs for Sale pricing $16,999 , 2001 Indian SPIRIT, RNDB USED 2001 Indian SPIRIT MOTORCYCLE, 1 of 30 in this color. This is a 9/11 Bike. This was made to commemorate 9/11 RUNS GOOD, LOOKS GOOD, collectors bike! Indian Motorcycle Daytona Beach Daytona's largest used motorcycle dealer., Update October/04/2020, Indian Motorcycles for Sale Sales $16,999 , 2001 Indian SPIRIT ,Total UN3416,You can choose RED/ WHITE & BLUE,Brand Launch Daytona Beach, FL it's here motorcycles-bike.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the information on the Flag Spirits.I'm looking at one now and wanted little more info on their history.The pictures look great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A warning to the wise - there is someone out there peddling one of these bikes running a scam - says it is in storage and needs you to send money in advance to get it available for inspection. I found at least 6 instances of this scam in different parts off the country but they all had the same description and reason for selling, word for word. So, beware.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info. I bought that "Flag" Spirit on Tuesday. It's a red one with only 6100 miles and it's # 69. Looks like brand new. I knew the person and he's very meticulous about his "toys". I have other Gilroy's ('03 Chief, '01&'02 Scout's) and never considered a Spirit since it was an in-betweener,but I'm happy I did- BEAUTIFUL bike ! Will be sending pix.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,036 Posts
The Gilroy's were pretty bikes. I had an '02 Roadmaster, and an '02 Scout. I think the '03 Red Vintage Gilroy was the best looking Indian of all time, and I have been messing with the brand my entire life.The mechanics were trash(and paint, electrics) but they hit it out of the park on looks. You have purchased a beauty! Have fun with it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think Indian would do well if they made a limited addition like those. I would definitely prefer to see something like that (specially the blue one 🤤) than the metallic paint they put on the Limited and Elite versions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I bought that "Flag" Spirit on Tuesday. It's a red one with only 6100 miles and it's # 69. Looks like brand new. I knew the person and he's very meticulous about his "toys". I have other Gilroy's ('03 Chief, '01&'02 Scout's) and never considered a Spirit since it was an in-betweener,but I'm happy I did- BEAUTIFUL bike ! Will be sending pix.

The "in betweener" as you put it is IMO a perfect size. I have an 00 Chief that will be going up for sale - just too big for me at 5'9" . Maybe if I could find a suitable handlebar I'd change my mind. But my 01 Spirit of America takes me everywhere I want to go. It handles great here in the Appalachian mountains and it has hauled me from CA to E TN and from E TN to CO many times. However! If you decide you just can't stand it, lemme know...

·
Registered
1 Posts
They made 70 bikes total. 12 of those were true Spirit of America bikes that has a bit fancier paint job than most with flags on the fender and a special commemorative paint job on the dash.

The other 58 came in one of two combinations. All had the same flag work on the tank, but the outer color of the tank was either red or blue. And the fenders matched the tanks either red or blue.

I am only speculating on this one as their is no official data, but I think they made a few more blue ones than red ones.
If you ever want to sell this let me know. I used to own a 2001 exactly the same as yours....Numbered 69 bike. Like a fool I sold it to a snowbird from Canada. [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts