Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got this beast a few weeks ago. She ran like a bat outta hell for about 500 miles...and then the sputters came. At first single back fire. Not a thought to it. Then came the bad sputtering. My exhaust is full on and loud as hell. Where do I start? I’m reading through the manual and it says on the troubleshooting that it could be timing. What would cause it to jiggle out of time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It’s a 2002 Indian Scout with 4700 miles

·
Registered
99 chief , 18 roadmaster, 07 roadking, 15 softail
80 Posts
These older bikes can vibrate alot,there's always a chance something came loose in the ignition between the timing module and the actual wiring for the coil, ignition, or even the battery.
I just went through a similar situation where it ran fine when I left the house and all the sudden started backfiring to then barely running other than a high idle. My chief has the s&s motor and it was the ignition module. But I've come across alot of loose nuts and bolts on this bike since I got it and started going through things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I finally got it fingered out. I went through the electrical system and indeed found a bunch of loose connections...battery terminals, crimps and such... I checked the spark plugs and they looked fine but changed it to platinum like it requires - it fixed the the bad sputtering and backfiring. She’s back on the road and been riding her like she should be ridden. I do love it much more than I do my ‘16 scout...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts