Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You asked for it, and you got it! I am proud to announce that we have added a section dedicated to the Gilroy Indians. This era of Indian Motorcycles were produced by the Indian Motorcycle Company of America

These Indians were manufactured in 1999 at the former CMC's facilities in Gilroy, California. The first "Gilroy Indian" model was a new design called the Chief. Scout and Spirit models were also manufactured from 2001. These bikes were initially made with off-the-shelf S&S engines, but used the 100-cubic-inch (1,600 cc) Powerplus engine design from 2002 to 2003. The Indian Motorcycle Corporation went into bankruptcy and ceased all production operations in Gilroy on September 19, 2003, thus ending production and this chapter of the Indian Motorcycle History.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Gilroy Indian

I have been restoring and riding Indians since 1979. I have restored four 1947 Chiefs, one 1952 Chief and three 1953 Chiefs. Adding to that two 1941 fours and a 1942 four. I bought the Gilroy Chief after learning about the Black Hawk engineering work on the bottle cap engine, (was afraid to buy one without the upgrade). My Chief also has a Balance Master flywheel, single fire ignition as well as a bunch of other minor upgrades. To own a garlic Indian you need to have some mechanic skills but I love riding it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I'm IronMan and need info on getting an Engine guard for my 2002 Chief Roadmaster. Does anyone have a PN# that would fit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gilroy 100PP

Hello,
If there s anyone out there that owns one of these bikes besides me. And you have a question or issue you would like to discuss please feel free to open he topic. I was part of this experiment in 2003 and I still have the bike. This Vintage makes H-P and runs very strong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1999 Chief and have a lot of trouble with spark plugs, constantly fowling them. Is this common?

·
Registered
1 Posts
future value of gilroy indians

I have been restoring and riding Indians since 1979. I have restored four 1947 Chiefs, one 1952 Chief and three 1953 Chiefs. Adding to that two 1941 fours and a 1942 four. I bought the Gilroy Chief after learning about the Black Hawk engineering work on the bottle cap engine, (was afraid to buy one without the upgrade). My Chief also has a Balance Master flywheel, single fire ignition as well as a bunch of other minor upgrades. To own a garlic Indian you need to have some mechanic skills but I love riding it.

We have a 2002 scout that we've had since 2005 , we haven't had any issues with until recently with the transmission. Our mechanic said he couldn't find parts and jerry-rigged the transmission back together and he recommend selling it because it will continue to have problems and the parts are hard to come by. I've now done research and in a hour found parts at both aardvark and the new Indian site as well.

That being said: what is your take on the future value of the Gilroy Indians, and are we destine to continue have problems with the bike?

We love the bike but want to have one that we be riding more than fixing

Thank for the input

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have both a new 14 Chieftain & a 2003 Gilroy Chief Vintage.The Vintage has the PP 100 Bottlecap. I was this close to selling it and am glad I didn't. Life has a way of keeping you in line and am I glad it has. The Vintage had only 5k miles when the head gaskets blew. Was this the beginning of the Curse of the Bottlecap? Well I didn't want to find out so I made what I think is the best move if I was serious about keeping my Vintage. Tomorrow I get my bike back with a new S&S V111 along with a 6spd Rivera Primo! I'm replacing the head gaskets on the Bottlecap and it's up for sale. Best offer takes it. PM me if you're interested. Tranny too. Can't wait to ride the Vintage...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had 2003 Gilroy Roadmaster for 4 1/2 years,44,000 miles, some work and pipes, had 100 lbs torque at rear on dyno.Loved it, only maintenance issues mostly and electric issues, but I just Traded it in on a 2014 Chieftain. What a dream this new one is, but miss the 2003.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have a 99 Chief with 100,000+ miles on her, a Centennial Scout with 80,000+ miles on her, the 04 240 Fat Tire Scout Prototype, and the 05 Indian Boardtracker with one of the last of the 2004 PowerPlus 100 engines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2000 has the SS 88 and I have replaced the dual fire for a single fire ignition. So far that is the only mechanical issue I have had to deal with. I love my Gilroy and I feel they were the sexiest looking Indians made!
IMG_2652sm.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my 03 and shipped it to Reno soon after I bought it so Joe Malfa could go through the entire bike and fix the known issues that were common to the 03s. Since I got it back I've had no issues other than replacing the battery cables. Once these bikes are gone through, they are really reliable.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi,
I'm Michael and I just purchased a Centennial Chief - a real "Barn Find" w/ less than 1,800 miles. and I have a few questions... Ok... a LOT of questions!

So where to begin... I've downloaded and read the owners manual, the service manual, and the parts manual. So far, I've replaced the tires, plugs and what might be considered 'Harley Fuel' in the tank. And surprise of all surprises, she fired up and idles and runs fairly well. (She back fires every once in a while... but that's about it.).

I took her for her first a test drive today and found a few more things that have me a bit puzzled - like the red idiot light and the spot lights fail to come on - ever; an oil leak under the wet primary; a soft rear break pedal, a carburetor over flow tube mis-routed (?) around the front jug, and a loose handle bar damper mount.

The break pedal seems pretty straightforward to fix (adjust). And the oil leak too, although perhaps a bit less straightforward, as I have yet to ascertain the source of said oil - all I can tell at the moment is that the frame us wet underneath.

My questions for the group centers on the remainder - how do I figure out why the idiot light isn't coming on?

How do I tighten/adjust the handlebar damper?? (Do I have to disassemble the whole headlight/fairing/spotlight bar assembly to hold down the nut(s) and tighten the damper?? And to what specification (in ft-lbs) should it be torqued?

And besides around the exhaust pipe options, WHERE should that silly carburetor vent tube be routed??

I'm sure I'll have more... like what is the best way to treat/protect the seat/saddle bags...Do KM or current seats fit the 2oo1 version? Speficially, how to I add a driver's seat back rest when I have a two-up seat?

ok... I'll stop now. :-o)

Kind regards,
and thank you in advance -
Michael

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great find mmyjak! I would start simple and check bulbs and wiring. Mice like wiring. Do you know how long it sat in the barn?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The break pedal seems pretty straightforward to fix (adjust). And the oil leak too, although perhaps a bit less straightforward, as I have yet to ascertain the source of said oil - all I can tell at the moment is that the frame us wet underneath.
COuld be a loose connection to your oil bag, the inner primary gasket leaking, or the primary gasket leaking. All are common leak points. Having sat that long, your gaskets may all need to be replaced as well as a change of the oil.

My questions for the group centers on the remainder - how do I figure out why the idiot light isn't coming on?
You don't want the red light to come on. That's the oil pump. If that comes on, pull over. If you aren't getting a quick red light at start up, your LED board may be cracked, you may have a bad connection to the LED board, or to the oil pump.

How do I tighten/adjust the handlebar damper?? (Do I have to disassemble the whole headlight/fairing/spotlight bar assembly to hold down the nut(s) and tighten the damper?? And to what specification (in ft-lbs) should it be torqued?
The should be a small chrome cowl cover over the handlebar clamps. The risers are easily seen after you remove these. Torque specs are in the maintenance manual. Check for cracked clamps.

And besides around the exhaust pipe options, WHERE should that silly carburetor vent tube be routed??
Where ever you don't mind seeing a drip of two of oil from time to time.

I'm sure I'll have more... like what is the best way to treat/protect the seat/saddle bags...Do KM or current seats fit the 2oo1 version? Speficially, how to I add a driver's seat back rest when I have a two-up seat?
Mink oil. KM/current saddle will NOT fit. Different frames and mounting. Try contacting Corbin. They may still service 2001 Chiefs. 99 Saddles were originally by Corbin but the Gilroy factory screwed things up with Corbin in 2000 and stopped using Corbin Saddles. Originally, the Centennials did not come with a backrest option so you will have to find a custom solution.

ok... I'll stop now. :-o)

Kind regards,
and thank you in advance -
Michael[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gilroy 100PP

Hello,
If there s anyone out there that owns one of these bikes besides me. And you have a question or issue you would like to discuss please feel free to open he topic. I was part of this experiment in 2003 and I still have the bike. This Vintage makes H-P and runs very strong.

I have a 2002 Chief Roadmaster. I love the bike and get plenty of compliments. I have had new head gaskets installed new adjustable push rods and cams. She sounds great! I get a little wobble when it's windy or at high speeds over 80 MPH. Any thoughts other than slow down? LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2002 Chief Roadmaster. I love the bike and get plenty of compliments. I have had new head gaskets installed new adjustable push rods and cams. She sounds great! I get a little wobble when it's windy or at high speeds over 80 MPH. Any thoughts other than slow down? LOL
Oh yeah Gilroy 100PP
I am looking forward to chatting with you about the Gilroys in the future.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts