Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a thing happen on my way to work...all gauges (4"ts display) went to zero and all the warning lights came on. Took about 5 miles before the situation reversed itself, but the triangle with an exclamation point warning light ⚠ stayed on until I got to work. Weirdest thing is that the odometer even stopped and did not register the 5 miles or so I had driven. Should add that it's a Chief Bobber Dark Horse and the bike only had 365 miles at the time...Anyone else have this happen??

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, I had a thing happen on my way to work...all gauges (4"ts display) went to zero and all the warning lights came on. Took about 5 miles before the situation reversed itself, but the triangle with an exclamation point warning light ⚠ stayed on until I got to work. Weirdest thing is that the odometer even stopped and did not register the 5 miles or so I had driven. Should add that it's a Chief Bobber Dark Horse and the bike only had 365 miles at the time...Anyone else have this happen??
Yep - had that happen to me twice on my Pursuit, on a 2300 mile trip. First time the triangle light came on and I noticed the mileage on the ride command was not working although the clock odometer was. When I stopped and restarted the issue disappeared. I assumed some sort of software glitch as there were no error codes displayed. About 1,500 miles later it did it whilst I was doing 70 mph on the motorway: my digital speed dropped to zero and most other digital readouts stopped working (the battery voltage one seemed to keep working). I kept riding, and about 40 miles down the road it suddenly all went happy again. Go figure. I rang the shop I bought the bike from and they said they should be able to do a data download next time I bring the bike in to see what was going on, but they felt it was likely a software issue so no probs riding with it.

I'm thinking my laptop plays up every few days, so if I can get a couple of thousand miles in between Ride Command glitches, I can live with that (but will get it checked out to be sure - it's just the bike is fairly much put to bed for the winter at the mo, so it may be a while).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had exactly the same issue in my standard RM. Once all warning lights were on the bike continued running quite normally. I shut it down to see if it re-started without problems but it didn't. All lights on again and no answer to the starting button. The bike seemed to be dead but with all lights on.
After a couple of hours it started normally. Very very weird.
I checked the black and red cables from the battery, connectors, etc. Changed the infamous 10 Amp circuit breaker.
Let's see if it does not repeat the problem.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had exactly the same issue in my standard RM. Once all warning lights were on the bike continued running quite normally. I shut it down to see if it re-started without problems but it didn't. All lights on again and no answer to the starting button. The bike seemed to be dead but with all lights on.
After a couple of hours it started normally. Very very weird.
I checked the black and red cables from the battery, connectors, etc. Changed the infamous 10 Amp circuit breaker.
Let's see if it does not repeat the problem.
Fingers crossed.
Atuti, hope it works for you brother! It's the uncertainty - not knowing if it will happen again (not starting when you're out) that worries you. My Triumph America wouldn't start the other morning, despite a good battery charge and it running ok the night before. Following day it started fine! Maybe some rain water had got in somewhere.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Atuti, hope it works for you brother! It's the uncertainty - not knowing if it will happen again (not starting when you're out) that worries you. My Triumph America wouldn't start the other morning, despite a good battery charge and it running ok the night before. Following day it started fine! Maybe some rain water had got in somewhere.
Indian Motorcycle Forum

Atuti

Everything lighting!!! Need some advice.
TagsNone

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

[IMG alt="Atuti"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/66/66681.jpg?1525523553[/IMG]
Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · Nov 13, 2022

Hello friends. Something very weird has happened to me twice.

I am talking about a 2018 RM. After a couple of hours riding without any problem... suddenly all lights on the two gauges light on. Check engine, refuel needed, both blinkers, cruise control, mph, km/h, main lights on.... all of them!!! Believe me ALL OF THEM. The rpm and speed arrows come down to zero.

The engine works OK, you can continue driving not feeling any change in the behaviour of the bike. But when you are absolutely scared and stop and try to switch off the bike you do not get any answer after pressing the main power button. The engine continues running. I had finally stopped the engine by pressing the emergency stop button. It seems that nothing electronically "ruled" works.

No codes on the screen because none electronic thing works.

Tried to start the bike again. Nothing. As soon as I press the main power button everything lights again and nothing works. Not even the starting motor.

In case it was a bad contact of the battery I disconected it and reconected again. No change. Everything lighting and no response to anything. The problem has not been reset after disconecting the battery.

After waiting a couple of hours things have improved magically. The bike starts but a check engine light remains on. After a couple of start-stop cycles are done even this light switches off.

No error code reported.

I have had this episode twice. The first one 4 weeks ago and the last one today.

Please, Any help? Any hint?

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Kitulu"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/54/54529.jpg?1487649715[/IMG]
Kitulu
·Registered
Joined Feb 21, 2017
·
3,114 Posts
#2 · Nov 13, 2022

The check engine light will turn off after three complete power cycles if no codes are detected. It sounds like your VCU had an error. I would disconnect the three plugs on the VCU and check for loose and/or burnt pins, and make sure that they are fully seated when you reconnect them. You could also inspect the wire harness for any chafed wires what may be causing a short circuit.

CVMA 19-2
"You see, it's like I've always said...you get further with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word..."-Marcus Cole

Reactions:Master tech 1265 and Demolition Man
Reply Quote
[IMG alt="Atuti"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/66/66681.jpg?1525523553[/IMG]
Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · Nov 13, 2022

Thanks Kitulu. I will do it.
You say that the check engine light switches off after three cycles without codes. Have learned it from your experience? Is it written anywhere in the Service Manual?
My problem now is trusting on the reliability of my trips...

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Black2016RMrider"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/7/7255.jpg?1540081903[/IMG]
Black2016RMrider
·Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster
Joined Aug 31, 2015
·
922 Posts
#4 · Nov 13, 2022

I’ve had the same issue with all my dash instrumentation lights all illuminating - I have to pull over and shut the bike off and that always clears it. It happens so often, I’ve just become accustomed to it happening. No DTC ever thrown, just pisses me off all of the electrical issues with my 2016 Roadmaster.🤬

2016 Roadmaster piece of crap

Reply Quote

Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · Nov 13, 2022

Thanks, Black2016Rider, my problem is that, after pulling over and shutting the engine down with the emergency stop switch, it won't start after a couple of hours....

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Black2016RMrider"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/7/7255.jpg?1540081903[/IMG]
Black2016RMrider
·Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster
Joined Aug 31, 2015
·
922 Posts
#6 · Nov 13, 2022

@Atuti - I feel for you as I too have no faith in my bike and am reluctant to go on any long rides for fear the bike will strand me somewhere (as it did twice this year). With the lack of Indian service centres in my riding area, it’s also a concern as to where I can get it repaired if the need arises.

2016 Roadmaster piece of crap

Reply Quote
Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · Nov 13, 2022

Glup!!!

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Papo"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/146/146839.jpg?1669044468[/IMG]
Papo
·Registered
2022 Challenger Limited
Joined Oct 26, 2022
·
19 Posts
#8 · Nov 13, 2022

You can do a resistance test from battery ground to frame,engine, exhaust even bolt that hold f/ tank should be 0.5 ohms or less. Also read posts with some of your issues and found it to be the transformer to be the culprit. Good luck and that is a scary situation on a motorcycle.

Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Caprock"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/101/101636.jpg?1615146430[/IMG]
Caprock
·Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
Joined May 5, 2018
·
1,892 Posts
#9 · Nov 13, 2022

Papo said:
You can do a resistance test from battery ground to frame,engine, exhaust even bolt that hold f/ tank should be 0.5 ohms or less. Also read posts with some of your issues and found it to be the transformer to be the culprit. Good luck and that is a scary situation on a motorcycle.
Transformer??

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."

Reply Quote
[IMG alt="Caprock"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/101/101636.jpg?1615146430[/IMG]
Caprock
·Rider
Joined May 5, 2018
·
1,892 Posts
#10 · Nov 13, 2022

If it wre my bike, these in order would be 4 things that I would rule out;

Electrical connection - battery connections, chassis ground connection from battery terminal, ECU / VCM connections.
ECU / VCM breakers - ensure that the ECM & VCU 10A & 20A breakers are fully seated. I would probably go ahead and replace them regardless ( this is a cheap test )
Battery - may have a cell that is going bad
Rectifier / Regulator - May have a diode or regulator with an intermittent problem and applying noise on your electrical circuit.

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."
Reactions:EvilMonkey
Reply Quote
Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · Nov 13, 2022

Thanks, guys, for your insights. I have checked all connectors and have not seen any problem.
In any case I cannot envision any direct relationship with the evidence of everything that can light lighting and no switch or "electric" order working. No blown fuses. And, at the same time, the engine is running and the only way to stop it is pressing the emergency switch or stalling it with 1st gear.

This is extremely weird.

Anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Reply Quote

Caprock
·Rider
Joined May 5, 2018
·
1,892 Posts
#12 · Nov 13, 2022 (Edited)

Atuti said:
Thanks, guys, for your insights. I have checked all connectors and have not seen any problem.
In any case I cannot envision any direct relationship with the evidence of everything that can light lighting and no switch or "electric" order working. No blown fuses. And, at the same time, the engine is running and the only way to stop it is pressing the emergency switch or stalling it with 1st gear.

This is extremely weird.

Anyone else has experienced anything similar?
The ECU and VCM are both voltage sensitive electronic control modules. Either module can act up with inadequate voltage. The items that I listed above can have an adverse affect to the supplied voltage and need to be ruled out. The VCM and ECU breakers are just like the term says "breakers". They are not fuses. Fuses, open a circuit when amperage is greater than their rating, and remain open. Indian motorcycle uses type 1 breakers for current protection instead of fuses for the VCM and ECU. They have the ability to open a mechanical connection with too much amperage and then auto reset after a period of time. Typically, with this failure, you would have a loss of current and things would shut down until they auto-reset. This has been the typical failure with others that have had problems with these breakers. However, if the contacts within the breaker are chattering, they may be interupting the supplied power to the electronic modules, and not fully opening and totally dropping the power. These breakers are a weak link on our bikes, and in your case needs to be ruled out along with the other items that I listed.

Outside of the 4 items that I previously mentioned, you could possibly have a bad wiring harness, or a bad VCM. Either of those will be quite hard for most to diagnose, and quite expensive to replace. Chances are, being you have a 2018, you are possibly still on your original battery. If so, you are getting close to needing a replacement anyway. The rectifier/ regulator has also been an issue with quite a few indians including mine, and isn't too expensive to replace. Usually these will just go bad and your bike just won't charge the battery. However, in some cases like mine, it acted up only when the bike was hot, and acted normal once cooled off. If there is a bad diode, your rectifier may not be filtering off all of the AC from the stator. If some of that AC noise is making it to the VCM it could easily cause it to act up.

Reply Quote

Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · Nov 13, 2022

Woooaaaauuuuu!!!! Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. It is really wonderful yo have "supporters" as you.
You are absolutely right. I am still running with the original battery. It is 4,5 years old by now, but I keep most of the time it on the battery tender.
As I have already checked the wires and connections I will go this coming week with the breakers and the battery. I hope no major issues related to the VCU and ECU.
I owe you one Caprock!!!!

Reply Quote

Caprock
·Rider
Joined May 5, 2018
·
1,892 Posts
#14 · Nov 13, 2022

I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.

Reply Quote
Atuti
·Registered
Joined May 16, 2017
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · 20 h ago

The issue happened the day before yesterday again. After having all dash lights on I stopped the engine and tried to start again. No answer to the engine starting button. All dash lights on.
I moved the bike a little bit from side to side. Like a light shaking... and after a couple of main switch on and of it started without any light and without any major error code.
I took the bike to the dealer and he did not see anything wrong.
My next step will be to change the battery. Let's try... test and error procedure....
If anyone "discovers" something... please, let me know.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot, guys...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, got exhaust installed but check engine light is on with an O2 lean ... dealership wanted to keep it to investigate. Freedom Performance shorty 2-1, but company states no remapping is necessary...hope I don't end up having to dump MORE money into it!!

·
Premium Member
2022 Chief Darkhorse
706 Posts
Well, got exhaust installed but check engine light is on with an O2 lean ... dealership wanted to keep it to investigate. Freedom Performance shorty 2-1, but company states no remapping is necessary...hope I don't end up having to dump MORE money into it!!
If it’s a full exhaust, it’ll need to be remapped. Slip ons, not necessarily, but a full exhaust/cat delete, yes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts