Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted here when I first got my new Chieftain about not being comfortable with the bike because of the Mid Rise bars. Honestly due to that fact I didn't do a great deal of riding since I got it back in July 2019. Now I've made the decision to get those removed and go back to the stock bars in hopes that it will be more comfortable for me. They are great while I'm riding at speed but in slow crawls or in parking lots it makes me very uncomfortable. I must add too that I am coming from many, many years of riding a sportbike so the whole cruiser setup and weight is new for me and add to the fact that I haven't been on a bike in about 8 years before getting my Chieftain. I love the bike and want to really get out and enjoy it going forward. Guess I'm just throwing it out there for feedback from those that may have had similar experiences.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
I had a 2015 Chieftain for 5 riding seasons and had the stock handlebars on it. I found them to be very comfortable. I'm five foot eleven with a 32 inch inseam and about 220 pounds. I demoed a Chieftain Limited once that had the mid-rise bars and I didn't like them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@reinie Thanks. Yeah mine came with the Mid Rise bars and I was thinking that I would get used to it. Not happening. I am 6'1 with a 34inch inseam about 200 lbs. So we are close in height and size. I think that going back to stock will be the answer. Once I get used to the bike maybe I will consider some other bars later on down the line.

·
Bronze member
3,435 Posts
I've only test rode with mid rise... I personally don't like them.. if you go back to stock and want them a little closer to you ROX risers do a fantastic job

Reactions: abarnes927

·
Not for much longer
405 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here. I have a 15' Chieftain and I really love the midrise bars. I have had some shoulder problems and they were the answer for longer rides. BTW, I am 6' tall 215 lbs with a 33" inseam. I could stand to lose about 15-20 lbs. :rolleyes:

Reactions: abarnes927

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your responses. I will be going in this month for some of the recalls to get taken care of and will be having them put the stock bars back on. Can't wait to get riding

·
Bronze member
2,235 Posts
I got rid of the stock bars as soon as a week after taking delivery of my 2017 Chieftain Ltd. Way too low, didn't like the control. I love the mid-rise bars. Like the the look and feel. Would never go back.

Reactions: lfendafstlne

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got rid of the stock bars as soon as a week after taking delivery of my 2017 Chieftain Ltd. Way too low, didn't like the control. I love the mid-rise bars. Like the the look and feel. Would never go back.
Question....before you got your 2017 Chieftain...what were you riding? I came from a Sportbike so the handlebars being low is what I am accustomed to.

·
Bronze member
2,235 Posts
I rode several crotch rockets back in the day, then a few cruisers. This was my latest bike before my Chieftain. I now prefer a near shoulder-straight arm height, semi wide reach. Not close but not too far away to be comfortable for me (5-9 165lbs). May or may not be what you're looking for. Check around and see if you can have a seat on a couple of bikes to get an idea on what feels good to you, it's what I did. Cheaper than swapping bars often. Your ride, get what you like, cheers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Purchased my 2019 Chieftain Limited in December, and it has dealer installed mid-rise bars. I'm 5'7", so the bars were a bit of a stretch for me. So, I installed the Rox Risers, which brought the bars 2" closer, and up a little. They're more comfortable to me now, but I'm still not sold on the mid-rise bars. Going to give them a few months of riding, and make the decision to keep or switch out.

·
Rider
1,072 Posts
The stock Chieftain bars work great for me, seat does too, was sweating bars and seat arrangement since I only have a 30" inseam, but 6 feet tall, long from waist up, did 250 miles before storage and it's roomy and laid out well for me.

Been away from riding for a while when I got my Chieftain late last Fall, all the techniques that came naturally when riding had me struggling to become proficient at.

Yesterday I got the Ride Like a Pro, Indian specific DVD to help me re-learn some things I used to do very well, but now being a bit rusty at, feel like I want to become proficient at again.

Not affiliated with this site, just passing along information.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it has ride modes use the tour for smooth low speed maneuvers also check side compartment where shock is and release all air will be at lowest point still maintaining full suspension travel,the air is for gear/aditional rider.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've posted here when I first got my new Chieftain about not being comfortable with the bike because of the Mid Rise bars. Honestly due to that fact I didn't do a great deal of riding since I got it back in July 2019. Now I've made the decision to get those removed and go back to the stock bars in hopes that it will be more comfortable for me. They are great while I'm riding at speed but in slow crawls or in parking lots it makes me very uncomfortable. I must add too that I am coming from many, many years of riding a sportbike so the whole cruiser setup and weight is new for me and add to the fact that I haven't been on a bike in about 8 years before getting my Chieftain. I love the bike and want to really get out and enjoy it going forward. Guess I'm just throwing it out there for feedback from those that may have had similar experiences.
I love my mid rise bars...If you're around 6ft that's probably what you should have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love my mid rise bars...If you're around 6ft that's probably what you should have.
I am 6'1 but I am not comfortable with the mid rise bars. Guess like everyone says it's whatever floats your boat. We spent some good money on these rides and all need to be comfortable..whatever that is for each of us.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my 2018 Chieftain last March with mid rise and like it. However, I didn't test ride any others, so I don't have a perspective on the stock bars. Different Strokes for Different Folks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I did not like the mid rise bars due to the wrist angle and width. I ended up going with the Klockwerks ergo bars which are really comfortable for me.

Phil

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '19 Limited was used when I bought it. the PO had installed mid-rise bars. I didn't like them. I went back to a stock bar with Rox Risers. Much better!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts