Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I have read an article in the newspaper about a very old man still driving his car, and I thought by myself: ' at what age will I stop riding my bike?'
Think this old man is a good example for all of us what's possible. Keep on riding my Indian as long as I can, that's definitely my goal. Hoping we all can do !

·
Registered
152 Posts
I tend to disagree. I was a cop in South Florida and there were too many accidents involving seniors that had no business behind the wheel. Although I love my independence I hope I will recognize when the time has come to hang up the keys.

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to disagree. I was a cop in South Florida and there were too many accidents involving seniors that had no business behind the wheel. Although I love my independence I hope I will recognize when the time has come to hang up the keys.
I follow your reasoning but believe me... it will be a difficult decision for everyone to have to admit that it is time to stop driving. It includes in many ways your independence, depending where you live and what could be the alternative.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
The tough part will be recognizing when you're no longer safe.

Denial is during in many drivers. Many younger drivers think they're good drivers. Even when there's a trooper (me) standing at the window as proof they're not.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I ride with an older gentleman (in his 90's) from time to time. He is the slowest walker and the slowest to get on his bike. He has to pull on his pant leg to lift his knee on the seat. Grabs the heel and pushes the leg over the bike. He then fires it up and rides off like a bat out of hell. You'd think he was a teenager. Easily one of the fastest riders in my group.

He used to be a WWII fighter pilot. Really fun guy to go to air fields and museums with.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,945 Posts
I am 65 and have no trouble riding still. Still strong enough and quick enough. BUT, the idea of rolling and sliding across asphalt is making me think about it. My wife is pushing me to stop. As I get older healing takes longer and I probably have weak bones compared to 40 years ago. I almost pass out from tying my shoes. Every time I ride it is hard to make a fair analysis. It is so nice. I think I understand why dogs stick their head out the window. This old dogs still loves it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,244 Posts
I downsized from a 2015 Chieftain to a 2019 Scout last September. I'll be 67 next month and my legs just weren't quite strong enough anymore for backing that heavy bike. The Scout is close to 300 pounds lighter and sits a little bit lower. I had to do some mods to the Scout to make it more comfy and now I'm pretty happy with it. I should be able to go several more years on two wheels. Not ready for a trike yet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
No one gets out alive.

That’s a fact. Might as well go out doing something you love. At least with a motorcycle, as opposed to an oversized, Uber SUV, chances are high you’re just taking yourself out.

·
Senior member / rider
1,305 Posts
Hell, in a couple of generations all cars will be autonomous and electric, so the few people left that actually own a vehicle will be passive riders. Motorcycles will soon follow. The majority of people will stay home driving/riding with VR and waiting on Amazon drone delivery. I’ll be dead...

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I'm praying that my riding has years to go but I also pray that when the time comes, I will know when riding/driving has passed. 96 year old gentleman at church still drives, serves as a deacon and plays golf (very well I'm told) at least twice a week...looks 65, too.
Hunter Thompson said it best:
il_fullxfull.1492449178_but4.jpg

·
Rider
818 Posts
I've slowed down a bit at 66yrs 10mos. 1k miles in 17 hrs down from 15 hrs 45 min. I have to figure in a couple extra restroom breaks now lol. I enjoy riding more now than I did 40+years ago. Not waking up with a whiskey hangover helps. Aching joints and all I still throw up a tent, weather permitting. March 2nd I go in for 2 brand new knees. Hoping to be up and riding by the 1st part of June. I shoot for a minimum of 15k miles per season. Last year just shy of 13k miles because the wife had a medical issue. But still made it coast to coast, 11th time in 11 years. This coming summer out to DC, Willmington NC then Seattle. I'm not wishing myself any ill will but told the wife the only way she'll become a rich widow is if I go out in an accident. I'm not worth much succumbing to natural causes. I told her I keep seeing my obit in a dream. "95 year old biker involved in high speed chase killed instantly in head on collision with logging truck" pic: Last years riding

Attachments

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm praying that my riding has years to go but I also pray that when the time comes, I will know when riding/driving has passed. 96 year old gentleman at church still drives, serves as a deacon and plays golf (very well I'm told) at least twice a week...looks 65, too.
Hunter Thompson said it best:
View attachment 575618
A few years ago I had a t-shirt with text: ' I'll give up my bike when they pry it from my cold dead fingers'.
T-shirt is worn out now but my fingers are not (yet) cold or dead.
After each trip with my RM I think by myself: 'Wow ! What a Ride ' Think I am on the right track for the years to come.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts