Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get the bars closer to me on my Chieftain. Which do you think is better, the 2" pullback bars or the close seat ?? Would either have the same affect ??

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would like to get the bars closer to me on my Chieftain. Which do you think is better, the 2" pullback bars or the close seat ?? Would either have the same affect ??
Remember the close seat will also move your legs, knees, and feet foward. This may or may not be what you want. If you are happy with the seat position of your lower body then go with the pull back bars.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I went with the pull backs. Helped my back and made the ride easy. Eventually I am going to buck hornes. I've had these on a few bikes and the hand position is more natural for me. For now I am happy with the pull backs.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
When I read the thread title I thought it was about closer drinking establishments. :confused:

I know a guy who had 2" pull back bars installed on his Chief, gave him a more relaxed riding posture and eliminated the "pulled forward lower back ache" he got on longer rides.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If the bars get closer you might want to stop for a beer, not wise with the bike.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the 2" pull back bars on my Chieftain. I was going to install the reduced reach seat as well, but after talking to the factory demo tour guy, he said I might not like that seat because a lot of padding is removed. I ended up with the RM seat instead. I am very comfortable with the set up... if only my backrest would come in now. Even without the backrest, I've ridden all day without discomfort.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After the first 500 miles I had the dealer install the reduce reach heated seat. After riding 200 miles home I replaced it with the original. At the 2500 mile service they installed the 2" extended bars. Now that made a difference. At 3000 miles Russell's All Day Saddles rebuilt the OEM seat. Now I am at peace with the Classic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Poppa, did you install the pullback bars yourself, or did the dealership perform the work? I ask because of the heated grips, was curious if you had any significant challenges. Thanks. .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Poppa, did you install the pullback bars yourself, or did the dealership perform the work? I ask because of the heated grips, was curious if you had any significant challenges. Thanks. .
I had my dealer install them. After the demo ride I felt for me they would help and they did. They put them and my other parts on pre pick up by me. They re packaged all my original parts back in boxes for future use or sale, very impressed!!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
After the first 500 miles I had the dealer install the reduce reach heated seat. After riding 200 miles home I replaced it with the original. At the 2500 mile service they installed the 2" extended bars. Now that made a difference. At 3000 miles Russell's All Day Saddles rebuilt the OEM seat. Now I am at peace with the Classic.
It is a great feeling to finally get things dialed in.

I've always had to learn things the hard way. I can show you the knuckle dents in my head to prove it. I used to have a pile of seats tall enough to jump off of. Same thing with handlebars. I would swap and mix the different combinations to get close but never nirvana.

I finally hit on a formula that yielded positive results....Get a good fitting seat first then fit the handlebars to the riding position of the winning seat. Every time I would get the handlebars set to some seat then the that seat would start bothering me and the whole drill would start again.

This stuff is just too expensive to play poke and hope with. Glad to hear that you hit on the winning combination.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BD, that's experience, your body will adapt cheaper than 3 sets of everything. EH
As often as I trade I would have more in seats & bars than the bikes.
When I see $ 700 to 1200 for seats my ass quickly adapts.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts