Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Get Back Whips!

• Man those are the coolest things I ever did see!

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I want some!

• Too cool for me....

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Huh?

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • You still owe me money....

• NFW!!!!

Votes: 25 54.3%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had these made for me by Knot My Thing. My old Get Back Whips are blue and khaki, and they go with my bike a good bit. They looked real nice, but I wanted something a little more hi viz and settled on these. My original request was for just plain hi viz ernge, but the girl making them contacted me and showed me the other hi viz ernge with the contrasting colors in the para cord she uses. She said that just the hi viz ernge was too boring and highly recommended adding both to the mix. I like it much better.

This is the current color scheme I have on my motorbike. The Get Back Whips are very much faded and were in need of replacing. I get lots of thumbs up and waves with my motorbike. Can't blame them, it is a cool ride, and I'm a cool dude too. Can't wait to get the new ernge hi viz Get Back Whips on there!

In case any of y'all want to be cool like me, go to Knot My Thing's Facebook site and see what she can do for you. Everything is custom made!

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,215 Posts
Have a riding buddy with one, he fiddles with it every time we take off from a stop. When we go over 30mph his brake light flickers so I informed him he can ride in the back. I’m not riding behind some bonehead with his brake light flickering

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Good deal and very glad you like them. The colors on the new ones are a good choice.

To each his own, however. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one (and some of them stink) but my opinion is, has and shall be not only no but heck no for my bike wearing whips.

You need to modify your survey to include "no" as one of the answers. "Too cool for me" isn't really a choice when you don't think they are cool to begin with...although the "you still owe me money" is very funny...:);):cool:

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a riding buddy with one, he fiddles with it every time we take off from a stop. When we go over 30mph his brake light flickers so I informed him he can ride in the back. I’m not riding behind some bonehead with his brake light flickering
I had those lights that flicker when the brakes were applied on my Harley Road King. Can't remember what they're called, but I liked them. They don't make them for Indians yet, but when they do I'm getting some!

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal and very glad you like them. The colors on the new ones are a good choice.

To each his own, however. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one (and some of them stink) but my opinion is, has and shall be not only no but heck no for my bike wearing whips.

You need to modify your survey to include "no" as one of the answers. "Too cool for me" isn't really a choice when you don't think they are cool to begin with...although the "you still owe me money" is very funny...:);):cool:
The poll has been revised per your proper suggestion. Happy now?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had these made for me by Knot My Thing. My old Get Back Whips are blue and khaki, and they go with my bike a good bit. They looked real nice, but I wanted something a little more hi viz and settled on these. My original request was for just plain hi viz ernge, but the girl making them contacted me and showed me the other hi viz ernge with the contrasting colors in the para cord she uses. She said that just the hi viz ernge was too boring and highly recommended adding both to the mix. I like it much better.

View attachment 599374

This is the current color scheme I have on my motorbike. The Get Back Whips are very much faded and were in need of replacing. I get lots of thumbs up and waves with my motorbike. Can't blame them, it is a cool ride, and I'm a cool dude too. Can't wait to get the new ernge hi viz Get Back Whips on there!

View attachment 599376

In case any of y'all want to be cool like me, go to Knot My Thing's Facebook site and see what she can do for you. Everything is custom made!
Sorry
..but what in the heck are these things used for??? Seems to me they would just get all in the way whenever you are ridng

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hah Terry I was wondering the same. Rarely have I seen any on bikes I pass in commute or ride to somewhere else. Do you whip them at people too close or what?

And regarding the brake light flicker, I just assume the drag from the rope was causing it to activate the brake lever switch. I have brake lights that have what is called a "conspicuity flicker" that have a device that makes the LED brake lights appear to "flicker" or "shimmer". These LED lights operate at a different hertz frequency that is more keen to be seen by the human eye in traffic. I have them facing front and rear. Looks like there are some other set ups out there, but these aftermarket lights I wired up to Indian's system are working like they worked for my other motorcycle since 2012 I had them on it.

Here is a link for my first 1000 mile thoughts and exhaust stuff on my Roadmaster. At about 12:30 you can see the extra lights I put on. The trunk brake light and stock brake light I didn't do anything to. Just the additional red lights on the license plate frame and the orange and white front facing on the fender fork bolts. They are from Skene Design and links are in the description for those who want to research it. Or feel free to ask about it I'll share anything I know about it. But they have been amazing since I have been using them.

·
Bronze member
1,215 Posts
I had those lights that flicker when the brakes were applied on my Harley Road King. Can't remember what they're called, but I liked them. They don't make them for Indians yet, but when they do I'm getting some!
His brake light is flickering due to the dumbass get back whip weighing down the front brake lever.
A brake light flash module, for when you apply the brakes is available for Indians, I’ve had one for years.

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
His brake light is flickering due to the dumbass get back whip weighing down the front brake lever.
A brake light flash module, for when you apply the brakes is available for Indians, I’ve had one for years.
No need for hostility SubDude. The get back whips don't pull the brake lever back to cause the lights to flicker at all. I've been looking at those light modules you speak of but they're not what I want. The company is called Crazy Lights or Flashy Lights or something like that. When the brakes are applied, the brake light itself flickers, not other smaller attached LED type lights. I had them when I had my Harley. As of the last time I checked, they still didn't make them for Indians. Now I can remember the name of the company that makes them. Searched a bit to no avail. Maybe they went out of business. I'll figure something else out. Always do.

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry
..but what in the heck are these things used for??? Seems to me they would just get all in the way whenever you are ridng
They're not used for anything really, just aesthetics only. I saw an old Indian Chief, late 40s model or so all dressed up with the tassels around the seat, saddle bags and just about every other place on the bike, and on each handle bar was these leather get back whips. Wished that I had snapped a pic of it now. I asked the guy who was standing next to it what were they for. He said back in the old days they used them to slap cars that got too close to them, hence the name, "get back whips". He continued in saying that they'd pull them off and whip on each other in fights with them if needed. But that was back in the days before everyone was armed with firearms. So the get back whips are just there for looks. I thought that they were the coolest accessory that could be put on an Indian, so when I saw them being custom made at a booth in Sturgis I'v had them ever since.

Here's a few get back whips in action.

They don't cause any problems.

Not a great example of riding with proper gear, but he has a get back whip too.

No, they're not for everyone, but neither is an Indian. I like my Indian and I like the get back whips on it too.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,502 Posts
Sorry — was composing this while @A-58 was posting his explanation above.

————————————

I still don’t understand what these things are for. Back in the day some of the Harley guys would wrap a length of primary chain around their handlebars - - mainly as a handy “tool” should they need to settle a dispute off the bIke. Those chains could also easily shatter a windshield or window or Inflict immediate damage to a vehicle‘s body. Those chains worked — pretty nasty.

But these things? IMHO neither functional or badass. Again — in my humble opinion. And said respectfully.

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I like'm because I think that they are cool and with the hi viz color just a little bit more safer as far as I'm concerned about it anyway. And since I only have to make myself happy with the choice of accessories of my choosing all the better. I get tons of waves, thumbs up and head nods while I'm out tooling around on my motorbike, even from Harley dudes. At first I thought that it was just me, but now maybe in part it's my motorbike, accessories et al as well just a little bit.

·
Founding member
1,193 Posts
The use is up to the owner. I see them around quite a bit here in Central Kansas and 99% of them are for looks and are normally in the "Colors" of the group the owner rides with...

However I was in an incident where I had a rider come along side of me & the Mrs on I70 to give us a thumbs up about our bike... He was a Full Patch member of a MC and had his get back whip in place. I don't mind side by side riding and he was on a nice HD, so didn't try and slow or speed up to shake him off. We had travelled several miles side by side when a 80's Buick completely cut us off by not going far enough ahead before moving themselves back into the right hand lane.... Not a little close either, I mean "Holy SH*T!" Close. I was on the inside, so it was actually closer to me and the Mrs, but since we were side by side it certainly caused him to react as well. Anyway, I rolled onto the throttle and moved to the passing lane and pulled alongside the vehicle and gave the driver the "What are you thinking?" look... No middle finger or anger, just a point to my head, then the bike, then to the car... Hard to describe, but I think if you ride a lot you know what I'm talking about. The driver rolled his window down and flipped me off as I was easing back to fall in behind him, then swerved into my lane just as I fell behind his rear bumper, causing another "Holy Sh*t!" moment... That was enough for the guy who had been riding beside me and he immediately removed that whip, raced up to the car and shattered the passenger side window and I believe the windshield, but at that point I was just wanting to get away from the car and was slowing down as to let him go on his way. They sped off and when we passed an exit several miles down the road, we saw the Buick on the off ramp parked. Never spoke to the Gentlemen with the whip though we have waved to each other a few times since then on the roads...

Point is, they are what the owner wants them to be... if they choose to use them to shatter a window and they know how to use it, it is very effective.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I used to be that person, if you made a mistake that endangered the life of my wife or myself (or another in our small but experienced riding group), I'd make sure the driver making the mistake was aware of my anger/frustration. No single fingers as my Lord would expect a "forgive me, Lord" prayer but a stern look or a shoulder shrug.
However, my wife explained to me that
1) while I may be in the right to be frustrated, I was on two wheels and they were in a much larger, much heavier vehicle that could very easily cause me/us to be in a ditch or worse and
2) I may know what I'm carrying but I have no idea what the person in the cage is carrying...and always remember point number one.

Breaking the glass is making a point...however, see point number 1...

It's a hard habit to break and if I had one of the whip-deals, it would make just walking away a bit harder. I am far from a hard-azz and have NEVER, ever hit another person in anger (or any other emotion) so best to listen to my wife.

·
Silver member
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah upon further reading and as indicated in an earlier post above, that in the early days of riding, different motorcycle groups and clubs used different color schemes to set them apart from the rest. Sort of like how Indian tribes decorated arrows and spears and tomahawks. Didn't know that. Learn something new every day, even here on this place.

Feel free to post any pix supporting this statement gents.

·
Bronze member
3,468 Posts
almost all around here have their whips the colors of their club... as far as idiot drivers I usually give them a "WTF" shoulder shrug or a loud blast with my Buffalo Air Horn...

Reactions: Wyobob44

·
Registered
641 Posts
Even a horn honk will elicit single finger gestures when it's the other driver's fault. It's terrible out here. All the drivers are so rude and inconsiderate and really a big change from where I came from in eastern Kansas. Culture shock for sure. Why, just the other day going to work I see someone pull out up ahead a good half a block maybe so I let off the throttle a little as I wasn't even going too fast coming in to a heavier traffic area. They used their turn signal on there car very well. Anyone nearby saw it. The light is green at the intersection, and I have another lane beside me traveling the same direction but it's got cars in it already so I can't get over. Well, buddy in this car that so courteously used their turn signal to merge in to traffic, is going slower than a slug. They are still a good 20 yards from the intersection when I have to slow almost to a stop behind them. I see the driver looking to the right not even paying attention to anyone else around him, and his mouth moving to his passenger. That's when I laid on the horns. His initial reaction was to brake, which I was ready for so I was already doing it because he wasn't paying attention to anything but whatever was to the right. I laid the horn more, and finally they moved through the intersection. And I laid the horn again as I was finally able to go around him. At least I didn't get gestured I'm #1, but I got the most ridiculous clueless look I have ever seen on a human face in my life. Just got to watch out for everyone else guys, ride safe! I could fill up hours worth of reading with rudeness and inconsiderate driver stories from my time out here. This quad state area where they all come together of NY, PA, NJ and DE is the worst drivers in the universe.

·
Bronze member
1,215 Posts
No need for hostility SubDude. The get back whips don't pull the brake lever back to cause the lights to flicker at all. I've been looking at those light modules you speak of but they're not what I want. The company is called Crazy Lights or Flashy Lights or something like that. When the brakes are applied, the brake light itself flickers, not other smaller attached LED type lights. I had them when I had my Harley. As of the last time I checked, they still didn't make them for Indians. Now I can remember the name of the company that makes them. Searched a bit to no avail. Maybe they went out of business. I'll figure something else out. Always do.
Again, they’ve had these for a few years.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
... When we go over 30mph his brake light flickers so I informed him he can ride in the back. I’m not riding behind some bonehead with his brake light flickering
And he doesn't take them off while knowing they pull his levers back a bit? 🤨 I would never want anything attached to the brake and clutch lever, ever.

Serious, I personally don't see the point in these things, but if you do, attach them to the bar ends please, and not the levers...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts