Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of having general maintenance done at a local Polaris dealership vs. driving long distances to an Indian/Polaris dealership? Would this be acceptable for just general maintenance (oil change, belt adjustment, tires, brakes, etc.) ??? I realize they may not be equipped to do Warranty or diagnostic work, but I see no reason they couldn't perform general maintenance. Anyone have thoughts / feelings about this ??

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I think that is a viable option.
You could also look to independently owned repair shops too.
A Polaris dealer would have the advantage of having access to "the network" for things like specifications, torque values, etc from the factory.

"My dealership" is 43 miles from my apartment here in New Orleans. So far I have been able to schedule my general maintenance and service work on a "I'll wait for it" basis. I can't ride down to Houma and leave the bike overnight and take a cab home.

On the other hand, Indian Motorcycle has sold a lot of expensive franchises. I don't think it is likely that they would dilute that investment value by coming out and declaring Polaris dealers as "Factory Authorized Indian Repair Facilities". Their Indian dealership body would have their scalp if they did that.

I guess your question could be answered by a visit to the Polaris dealership and asking. Some may, some may not be interested. If you are met with a steely eyed "We are not authorized to work on Indians" then that would answer your question.
If they do agree to do the work then the next thing would be to retain documentation for warranty requirements.

This is a good question. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think that is a viable option.
You could also look to independently owned repair shops too.
A Polaris dealer would have the advantage of having access to "the network" for things like specifications, torque values, etc from the factory.

"My dealership" is 43 miles from my apartment here in New Orleans. So far I have been able to schedule my general maintenance and service work on a "I'll wait for it" basis. I can't ride down to Houma and leave the bike overnight and take a cab home.

On the other hand, Indian Motorcycle has sold a lot of expensive franchises. I don't think it is likely that they would dilute that investment value by coming out and declaring Polaris dealers as "Factory Authorized Indian Repair Facilities". Their Indian dealership body would have their scalp if they did that.

I guess your question could be answered by a visit to the Polaris dealership and asking. Some may, some may not be interested. If you are met with a steely eyed "We are not authorized to work on Indians" then that would answer your question.
If they do agree to do the work then the next thing would be to retain documentation for warranty requirements.

This is a good question. Thanks for bringing it up.
BIG DADDY new dealership coming to AIRLINE HWY. early next year.The guy who had the old BOURGET CHOPPER shop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my dealer is 60 mi away but they have a pickup and delivery service free. Of course I prefer no one touches my bike but it is available.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
BIG DADDY new dealership coming to AIRLINE HWY. early next year.The guy who had the old BOURGET CHOPPER shop.
That is great news.
The network holes are filling in quickly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had my first oil change done at a Victory dealership. Just keep your receipts that you had the oil changed there so if there is any future warranty work needed at a Indian dealership you have proof it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Daytona indian is also victory. Work done in same shop so I can't see a problem on general maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Changing the oil on a motorcycle is the most simple thing you can do. As long as you buy from the dealership, keep receipts, and record I hope it will meet the warranty. I not a fan of riding three hour round trip just to get an oil change

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Changing the oil on a motorcycle is the most simple thing you can do. As long as you buy from the dealership, keep receipts, and record I hope it will meet the warranty. I not a fan of riding three hour round trip just to get an oil change
Dealer in Oakville Ontario actually encourages guys like me to do their own service. His shop sales records validate everything with Polaris. So all is good

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Local Polaris dealership out here said they would not work on my Chieftain. No properly trained mechanics for the service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts