Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I wanted to do a survey to understand if it was only mine that behaved in this way or something more common. I have noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is noisy and is sometimes followed by a noise as if the gear is shelling before entering. It is noticeable very well if you put the 2nd position from N. I have already been to Indian and they told me it is unusual but they don't know what to do, I did an oil change and checked the chain and clutch tension. At this point it looks like a characteristic of the motorcycle. Does the same happen to any of you? Can you do the test from a standstill to a hot bike and put the 2nd gear from N and see if your bikes are noisy too?
Thanks a lot to those who will give me feedback.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My biggest concern is 5th to 6th. I've had at least 3 false neutrals between those gears, usually resulting with it slamming hard back into 5th before I can pull the clutch in to safely persuade it back into gear.

·
Rider
1,595 Posts
My biggest concern is 5th to 6th. I've had at least 3 false neutrals between those gears, usually resulting with it slamming hard back into 5th before I can pull the clutch in to safely persuade it back into gear.
Twice for me in 18 months just makes me a little more eager when going from 5th to 6th as a gentle tap does not quite ‘cut the mustard.’

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know of an FTR with 20k+ miles on it and 6th gear was nearly unusable. If it was cruising in 6th and hit a tiny bump, it would fall out of 6th and either find false neutral or go all the way into 5th. (I don't want to say too much, but I'll just leave it at this: It was not an FTR sold off a dealer floor and it was beat on hard it's whole life.) Anyway, it gives me concern that this issue is inherently present in all our bikes given enough miles and abuse.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The short throw shifter arm all but eliminates it
Yup, this helped (thanks again for that ebay link last year). I went a long time with out a falsey between 5/6 since I got the short-throw linkage, but just had one last week.

·
Bronze member
2,466 Posts
I’m changing to the 45t rear sprocket soon. Hopping that will also help with it more, since you won’t be that hard on the power switching into 6th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Second Question:
My clutch when the bike is cold seems to move in jerks. when the bike is hot, on the other hand, it's fine. does your bike also behave this way?

·
Registered
256 Posts
No, it’s just how a normal American clunky gear box works.

And make sure your clutch lever free play is adjusted properly

My cbr was very similar. I get the 1-2nd clunk, and I get the 5->6 false neutral if I wear shoes and not my riding gear (extremely rare)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I tend to clutchless upshift on all my bikes. I’ve noticed more false neutrals 1-2 on the FTR than any of my others, and have just resigned myself to engaging the clutch for 1-2. Use clutchless for all shifts above 2 and have never had a problem finding any of them or generating false neutrals outside of 1-2.

·
Registered
467 Posts
After rebuilding some transmissions and seeing what worn out gear dogs look like, I cannot, in good conscience, do clutchless shifting on a street machine. A quickshifter helps, but I have not seen the gears from a quickshifted transmission after a decent amount of use. But, if I had a quick shifter I'd definitely do clutchless shifting at high RPMs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Anything when done improperly can cause damage. But upshifting a constant mesh box with good technique does not harm the box. My Tiger is so smooth I can clutchless downshift without causing any strain as well, but I don’t like rev marching down so I use the clutch. To each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had this happen a couple times now, as well. Always when I'm wearing tennis shoes, though. It seems to prefer a solid manly tug on all the up-shifts. My wife's Scout is the same way.

And as mentioned ... the clunk is an American bike thang I guess. Never owned an HD or Buell that wasn't a clunky SOB. Before going back to the club I sometimes rode my Street Triple for weeks without touching the Harleys. And that first ride back on an HD was always "Holy crap this thing is a rattle trap!" 😄

·
Bronze member
2,466 Posts
Don’t remember if I said this or not. But the 45t sprocket eliminated this. 6th is now pretty much an over drive. So almost no need to aggressively slam into 6th now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts