691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of the chain tensioner change I took a deeper look and foud this:

Do I have to worry about it?
Its my 2016 Chief with 29.000 km.

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
Have you tried to rotate/turn it over for complete inspection?
As long there are no corners broken off I would say all "ok".

I have not easy 85000 kms on my engine ... and power shifting in some higher gears is clunky (strange) sometimes... will inspect mine next "upgrade" (waiting for some 116 parts).

The gear you are showing though looks like not transmission related ... just behind the upper cam chain ==> intake cam gear.
(Maybe a more qualified engine builder chimes in...)

Here a schematic:

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
German Rider
1,514 Posts
Maybe @RACNRAY should have a look at it.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
ok ... now I know :

No worries! Those waer marks come from the exhaust cam split(!!!) gears (front and rear).

See here eg. where somebody (actually Craig Bennett @CraigB1960 is citing here @RACNRAY ) is explaining how to remove/replace the cam carrier gears:

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
German rider
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, thanks Dudes for your replies.
Based on @cmoalem shared video link I found some additional videos and I found that these gears have this kind of wear too.
I was not able to find out what grade this wear was because its a video - but it is wear.
And these cam replacements are made with less mileage then my bike has.
It seems for me that it will not be so dificult to replace this outworn gear, but I wonder at what grade of wear the point of replacement will be reached.

·
Bronze member
2,645 Posts
What as caused the wear? Will be changing my 2015 CV adjuster for the 2018 part so will be looking at that gear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Indian is using what Cummins calls scissor gears.Allows a spur gear to run quiet with no backlash.You may be just seeing the difference between loaded and unloaded sides.If wear can be felt with a fingernail then you have an issue if not it's strictly an optical trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts