Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Indian Chieftain Classic and it’s due to go in on July 6th for the gear replacement. I have never had any issues with the gears displaying wrong positions I have read all the horrifying reviews on what happened to bikes that have had the replacement done. Now for my question; has anyone had the gear replacement done by Indian & NOT had any issues?? Just curious as I get closer, I’m starting to get a bit nervous. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Bronze member
3,274 Posts
Tons of posts and threads on this.

had mine done zero issues. 2018.

Nothing horrible happened to bikes.

1. Some older bikes VCM units didn’t take the first version of the flash switch recalibration. Indian updated it and all is good.

2. Some have had the tune in the ECU put back to the current factory stock tune, this was due to the fact the bike had a older tune which meant their custom tune was erased. Very simple to fix. Reformat PV3 and do a ECU read and send new factory calibration tune to FM for an updated tune compatibility calibratio.

Nothing inherently wrong with the recall. But as usual, the competence of the dealers service department had more to do with people having issues. Which is pretty typical. The good, bad and ugly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tons of posts and threads on this.

had mine done zero issues. 2018.

Nothing horrible happened to bikes.

1. Some older bikes VCM units didn’t take the first version of the flash switch recalibration. Indian updated it and all is good.

2. Some have had the tune in the ECU put back to the current factory stock tune, this was due to the fact the bike had a older tune which meant their custom tune was erased. Very simple to fix. Reformat PV3 and do a ECU read and send new factory calibration tune to FM for an updated tune compatibility calibratio.

Nothing inherently wrong with the recall. But as usual, the competence of the dealers service department had more to do with people having issues. Which is pretty typical. The good, bad and ugly
Thanks Baron. That’s a great relief!!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Last week my'17 RM got the gear switch changed out, along with its 30k mile service. I asked the service rep before hand about losing the flash tune. He assured me, it should not be lost. Riding home, I think I would have noticed if the flash was changed. However, I did loose my pin code access. Have to call them today to what I can do about getting that back. I am used to driving without the fob.

·
Bronze member
3,274 Posts
The pin code gets reset to the factory default VCM pin code. Only the user pin gets erased. So if you have the original factory pin code that will still work.

·
Rider
1,001 Posts
I have a 2018 Indian Chieftain Classic and it’s due to go in on July 6th for the gear replacement. I have never had any issues with the gears displaying wrong positions I have read all the horrifying reviews on what happened to bikes that have had the replacement done. Now for my question; has anyone had the gear replacement done by Indian & NOT had any issues?? Just curious as I get closer, I’m starting to get a bit nervous. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
I had the gear position sensor recall done on my '16 Stage 3 Roadmaster done at Chattanooga Indian without any issues.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
If I can get them to answer the phone. :oops:
Been calling for 30 minutes. I can resort to using the FOB for a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last week my'17 RM got the gear switch changed out, along with its 30k mile service. I asked the service rep before hand about losing the flash tune. He assured me, it should not be lost. Riding home, I think I would have noticed if the flash was changed. However, I did loose my pin code access. Have to call them today to what I can do about getting that back. I am used to driving without the fob.
your original pin code will be the one to use. then, you can change it to what you want.

·
Registered
798 Posts
18 Springfield DH, stage 2 Indian flash. No issues so far, done a couple months ago. You will need to reset your personal pin.

·
Rider
1,001 Posts
No one gets on internet and brags about nothing happening.
Yep! It's so obvious and still too many folks don't seem to realize it. Happy people rarely make it a point to let others know that things went well. But those who have a bad experience too often want to go public with it before they strive for a resolution.
I'm not suggesting that riders shouldn't post here with issues that may be important to the rest of us. But it would be good to hear more of the good news, so that everyone knows that all is not bad news.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts