Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere (searched but can't find it again) that there may be a third generation of switch part number.
Is there truth to this recall of recall?
Has anyone else seen or heard of this?
I just want to go to the dealer once for this switch recall (3 hours away)

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this:
"gear position sensor" ##4018619.......
is this the old one or the new improved one?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would like to know that also. My bike been at the dealer for 1 week. After a failed attempt to install the new switch. 1st gear reads 6th and 6th reads 1st.

Called Wednesday and they still have not fixed my issue.

Had to postpone my vacation.

I say put my old switch back. Never was a issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Searched for part numbers...this is what I found for "gear sensor":
#4014718 used until 2019 (however they do not show replacement #...maybe they should!)
#4018619 listed in 2020

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If your dealer searches older bike for replacement switch...
He may get wrong part ##

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
I would like to know that also. My bike been at the dealer for 1 week. After a failed attempt to install the new switch. 1st gear reads 6th and 6th reads 1st.

This is the reason why I wont be doing that Gear switch.
Its not giving any trouble and I would go in and they would cock it up.
No thanks.
There is a 2nd notice coming today in the mail. Probably reminding me to go in and get the service.
Also starting to sound like they got some 2nd generation switches that are also no good.
Definitly staying out of that arena.
Feel bad for those wrapped up in the mess with that.

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
I just got another Safety Recall for Gear Position Switch yesterday 6/05/2020. It is dated 5/08/2020. I accomplished this recall on 5/01/2020 at 780 miles. (Recall campaign gear position sensor 19V-776). Anyone know WTF is going on?
IMG_0929.jpeg

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
I just got another Safety Recall for Gear Position Switch yesterday 6/05/2020. It is dated 5/08/2020. I accomplished this recall on 5/01/2020 at 780 miles. (Recall campaign gear position sensor 19V-776). Anyone know WTF is going on?
View attachment 592863
Got the same letter. I think we are all trying to figure out what is going on.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Some people have received a second recall letter which they understood to be a second recall, others see it as merely a second letter.

Some people have had the problem of 6th gear showing as 1st, which is related to the VCM reflash. If they don't flash the VCM correctly the bike reads 1st and 6th back to front - caused by their fix which was to reverse the internal resistors for those gears.

And another problem they are having is that the version of Digital Wrench matters when they do the reflash. If they have a latest version of Digital Wrench installed it is supposed to work OK. But if the workshop as not updated their version It can cause problems for 2018/2019 bikes.

My bike goes in tomorrow for the sensor recall. I spoke to the workshop last week about the possibility of a second recall and they had no knowledge of it - the service guy checked their updates on the computer when I asked about it. Tomorrow I'll ask him what version DW they use.

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
Some people have received a second recall letter which they understood to be a second recall, others see it as merely a second letter.

Some people have had the problem of 6th gear showing as 1st, which is related to the VCM reflash. If they don't flash the VCM correctly the bike reads 1st and 6th back to front - caused by their fix which was to reverse the internal resistors for those gears.

And another problem they are having is that the version of Digital Wrench matters when they do the reflash. If they have a latest version of Digital Wrench installed it is supposed to work OK. But if the workshop as not updated their version It can cause problems for 2018/2019 bikes.

View attachment 592941

My bike goes in tomorrow for the sensor recall. I spoke to the workshop last week about the possibility of a second recall and they had no knowledge of it - the service guy checked their updates on the computer when I asked about it. Tomorrow I'll ask him what version DW they use.
Great, keep us informed.

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
I had received a 2nd letter.
Thats all it is is a 2nd letter asking us to bring bike in for recall.
Dr.Shifty I believe you are spot on about the Digital Wrench having the latest version.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was kind of aggravated with my dealer because it's been nearly a month since I first called them about the recall notice and they still haven't told me to bring the bike in.
Seems like maybe I was lucky they couldn't get to it considering all the issues.
Think I will wait a bit until this get's straightened out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its a new, new VCM flash update, how do i know this? I lived it. I had my bike at the dealer on April 15th for a header swap so while the bike was there the dealer wanted to do the gear indicator recall because they were pulling the mufflers for the header swap. Even though I had never had any issue with the gear indicator I (reluctantly) agreed. Job done no problem, everything is good with the bonus being that the VCM update added a keypad to the touch screen for start code entry (no more turn signal polka to enter your start code) So a month later I stop for gas, fill up, go to restart the bike and guess what, no gear indicator, no start! After finding neutral, lifting the kickstand and pulling in the clutch I get the bike to start and head home to call the dealer. Hello Dealer guess what, the gear shift indicator problem I never had I now have after the recall fix!? Dealer, yeah we had another bike in yesterday with the same problem...so apparently Indian put out a New -new VCM flash on April 28th to fix the problem cropping up with the original VCM update flash that went along with the recall, so 50 mile ride back to the dealer, ten minutes to re-flash the New-new VCM flash and presto my gear indicator works (for now). So anyone who has the recall done now should not have any VCM issues...

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I took my bike in this morning for the recall. Then I rode it home and totally forgot to look at the gear indicator. Perhaps that means it's working. :)

I asked the service guy if his Digital Wrench was up to date, and told him of the problem with an out of date version. He said they do constant updates on it and haven't had any problems with the sensor replacements, so here's hoping they are also flashing with the new-new version.

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
About a week and a half ago, when they did the recall on my '16 Stage 3 Roadmaster, my service manager told me that they have a third software update for the gear switch recall and it worked great. As for the switch itself, I asked if it has gold plated contacts and he did not know the answer to that question. But I suspect that gold plating is the primary change to the switch that fixes the issue and requires the different impedance values to be loaded into the VCM.

·
Registered
156 Posts

All they have to do is Re Flash it ?
can't be that hard.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts