Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
scout 2020
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scout 2020. an issue with gear shiftin: Not smooth , especially between 1 to 2. Sometime it “stuck“ in neural between 5 to 6. anyone had the same problem? Solution? Someone ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Often, I have a clunk-clunk when shifting from 1-2 (going through neutral) and often it stops in Neutral. Then, sometimes the shift is very smooth between 1-2. I remind myself to give it a strong lift with my foot to be sure I get through neutral into 2nd. I think maybe I'm being lazy with my foot or not pulling the clutch all the way, but I don't think that is really what is happening I think I'm pretty consistent. I would be interested to hear what others experience on this same topic.

However, I have never had it stop in neutral between 5-6.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have similar experiences with my 2019. When I first started riding the bike I was not impressed with the transmission. Clunky rough shifts and difficult to find first. After the 500 mile service it seems much better but one day this week I had trouble down shifting at slow speeds and it got stuck between gears once the same day. Not a huge problem at this time but definitely not the smoothest transmission I own. Not sure how many miles you have but if it’s brand new it may get better with time.

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
It took time for me to get 1-2 down, but now I can do it perfectly. It’s mostly a matter of being assertive enough on the upshift, without being too violent.

Try adjusting your cable according to the manual, as well. There’s a very narrow range of wheee it works properly.

·
Registered
scout 2020
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have similar experiences with my 2019. When I first started riding the bike I was not impressed with the transmission. Clunky rough shifts and difficult to find first. After the 500 mile service it seems much better but one day this week I had trouble down shifting at slow speeds and it got stuck between gears once the same day. Not a huge problem at this time but definitely not the smoothest transmission I own. Not sure how many miles you have but if it’s brand new it may get better with time.
1000 mi. as you said: not the smoothest transmission if compering to my previous bikes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The gears on my bike have started acting up too. When shifting down from 2nd to 1st I can still push down the gear lever as if in neutral when it's actually in first (gear indicator shows 1st gear and bike takes off as usual).

Sometimes when it does this I can get the lever to "lock" as it should if I push the lever down hard all the way down.

·
Registered
241 Posts
2016 Indian scout - Yep, I too have trouble with sticky gear selection - sometimes it really won't go into neutral easily when hot.I have adjusted the clutch cable numerous times (Barnett), changed oil, and no great change. It's fine up-shifting on the move but down-shifting is much less smooth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not always silky smooth on my 2020 Scout either, hasn't been much of a problem though. Adjusting the clutch cable helped a bit, it's pretty easy to fall outside spec if the cable stretches.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
A lot of people hopping on Scouts are either new riders not familiar with the amount of force needed to shift an American v-twin and are afraid of hurting the bike.

Another large group of Scout riders are coming from Japanese sport bikes with very smooth, short throw shifting. Jumping on a American v-twin and shifting requires a very different amount of force.

I have had to train my fair share of riders regarding this issue.

Every Glock I've fired has had a miss fire. Though when they shoot, they shoot good and true. But I'm not a fan. Gimme my wheel gun!

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
^^ with him.

There's a just a lot of steel sliding left or right in these gearboxes. Make the throw shorter and the operation becomes heavier.

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
A lot of people hopping on Scouts are either new riders not familiar with the amount of force needed to shift an American v-twin and are afraid of hurting the bike.

Another large group of Scout riders are coming from Japanese sport bikes with very smooth, short throw shifting. Jumping on a American v-twin and shifting requires a very different amount of force.

I have had to train my fair share of riders regarding this issue.

Every Glock I've fired has had a miss fire. Though when they shoot, they shoot good and true. But I'm not a fan. Gimme my wheel gun!
Once I got used to the right amount of assertive force it worked.

Also, don’t think of it as a single-direction motion. It’s a quick up-down, not just up— the shift isn’t done until you get back into nearly the original position and it locks in.

A bit like kicking a hackysack, not lifting something with your foot.

Otherwise the upward motion takes you back into the gear you already in. You can verify this with a slight pressure upward - if it stops, you’re good. If it keeps going, you messed up and the shift isn’t done.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If this was the F6C form almost all of the members would be saying that pre-loading the tranny would fix everything And to learn the technique. My 2020 bobber is also tacky.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,024 Posts
It is very easy to make the clutch rod too long. There is a point where it suddenly stop shifting properly. The clutch rod (I call it) or shift rod is below the left foot peg. It has a turnbuckle style adjustment. When I tried to adjust it to give more toe clearance under the toe shifter, I discovered if you go a little too far, you are not going anywhere. It seems like you should be able to move it back more but it prevents smooth or any shifting at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve got a 2019 Bobber and experienced something similar between 5 and 6. In the past, from time to time it would sound and feel like I’d shifted from 5 into neutral or even 5 into 2. Whatever the issue, it hasn’t happened in awhile. I’m at 2300 miles plus and maybe it was just growing pains/break in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have had 5th to 6th shifts where it would go onto neutral. It hasn't happened in about a year as I have been using a little more positive toe up...a bit harder.

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I’ve got a 2019 Bobber and experienced something similar between 5 and 6. In the past, from time to time it would sound and feel like I’d shifted from 5 into neutral or even 5 into 2. Whatever the issue, it hasn’t happened in awhile. I’m at 2300 miles plus and maybe it was just growing pains/break in.
It hasn't happened in a while because you got used to shifting with the correct amount of force.

When I'm really jamming on the T111's (racing), when I'm running through the gears. I'm lifting my whole foot off the floorboards to really make sure I get a good positive shift. Pivoting from the hip, lifting my bent knee straight up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts